It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Chocolat Question #11 ~ One More Character Question
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:50 am 

Is chocolate a character of its own in the story? If so, what does it represent?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:03 am 

I'm so glad you asked this question. I did not respond to any of the character questions after the first because I had such mixed feelings about all of them -- even nasty Muscat wanted to please the priest, and Vianne and Armande were often cruel. I didn't much like any of them.

I read the book years ago, before the movie, and loved it because chocolate was the star.

It seemed to be a fable where the people were broadly sketched and intended to mirror the transformation of a bitter powder into a marvelous delicacy. The descriptions of chocolate making were the real love story of the book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:03 am 

Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson
Chocolate is a character in MY life. I just love the stuff. I call it my drug of choice.

I think it can be a 'character' of sorts. It was a tool through which the others in the book viewed their life issues - chocolate could be seductive, healing, represent evil temptations, fun for life, memories, family traditions, change, secret hopes/desires.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:06 am 

KYwoman wrote:
Chocolate is a character in MY life. I just love the stuff. I call it my drug of choice.

I think it can be a 'character' of sorts. It was a tool through which the others in the book viewed their life issues - chocolate could be seductive, healing, represent evil temptations, fun for life, memories, family traditions, change, secret hopes/desires.

... and sensuality and pleasure.

It's my favorite drug, too - life is just better when there's a piece of dark rich chocolate in your mouth!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:22 am 

Wow, great answers so far! I agree with you guys and think it definately was a leading character in the story. I think it stood in a way, for the temptations of life, good and bad and how people dealt with them.

And chocolate is my drug of choice too, along with the caffeine in Diet Pepsi and coffee. :cloud9:

"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:37 am 

aha,our favorite drug in life.

I think in the story it was more a tool,a tool for Vianne to vieuw people,for the people to open up to Vianne,so a too to connect .
greets,
es

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:42 am 
JDZ Moderator

I prefer my coffee and merlot. But I agree with all of you that chocolate was a main character in the story. I also believe it represents not just temptation but many life issues, as KY pointed out. And it serves as a tool to bring people together, as es suggested, and to encourage their transformation.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:54 am 

Most definately. I think everyone has said everything, but I would pick up on the fact that food can often be a good connecter with people whatever it is.Chocolate has its own properties though especially for women. I think I'd better go eat some :cloud9:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:00 am 

Liz wrote:
I prefer my coffee and merlot. But I agree with all of you that chocolate was a main character in the story. I also believe it represents not just temptation but many life issues, as KY pointed out. And it serves as a tool to bring people together, as es suggested, and to encourage their transformation.

But, Liz! Dark chocolate goes so well with both coffee and merlot!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:10 am 

luvdepp wrote:
And chocolate is my drug of choice too, along with the caffeine in Diet Pepsi and coffee. :cloud9:

Oh how we know Luvdepp....the quest for the Diet Pepsi!!!

Yes, chocolate is a temptation and I really liked stroch's description. I had not thought of that parallel before:

"It seemed to be a fable where the people were broadly sketched and intended to mirror the transformation of a bitter powder into a marvelous delicacy. The descriptions of chocolate making were the real love story of the book."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:56 am 

Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson
lumineuse wrote:
KYwoman wrote:

... and sensuality and pleasure.

It's my favorite drug, too - life is just better when there's a piece of dark rich chocolate in your mouth!!!

Ain't that the truth!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:00 pm 

lumineuse wrote:
Liz wrote:

I agree, lumineuse! I love dark chocolate with wine -- and coffee -- and Diet Coke -- and all by itself......

And, yes, chocolate -- as KYwoman said -- is "seductive, healing, represent evil temptations, fun for life, memories, family traditions, change, secret hopes/desires," .... and happiness.

When I'm happy, I eat chocolate. When I'm sad, I eat chocolate. When I'm just so-so, I eat chocolate.....

bluebird

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:07 pm 
JDZ Moderator

lumineuse wrote:
Liz wrote:

Chocolate--milk or dark--is ever so good with coffee. I will grant you that, Lumi. In fact, I'm popping a chocolate Easter egg in my mouth right now as I drink my coffee. Not bad! :chocolat:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:18 pm 

It represents hedonism. It is the thing we want but that society has made us think we should not have. It is the thing that will harm us if taken in excess, but the thing which in small doses makes life's hardness easier to bear. So I don't think it's a character, but it is a concept.

Solace in the flood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:07 pm 

Coincidentally, as I read the question about chocolate, my radio told me what's coming up in the next hour:
"A trio of plant diseases with ominous names -- black pod, frosty pod, and witches' broom -- threatens chocolate production worldwide. One expert says that if frosty pod and witches' broom gain a foothold in West Africa, production of cacao beans, the basis of chocolate, could be reduced by one million metric tons per year, knocking out almost a quarter of the world's cacao crop. What does that mean for our chocolate addiction? Call in with your questions and comments at 1-800-989-8255 (2-3 Eastern)."

OHHH NOOOOO!

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next