It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Chocolat Question #10 ~ Anouk
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:28 am 

Who, or what, is Pantoufle to Anouk?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:36 am 

I think Pantoufle is Anouk's safety blanket. It is the one sure constant in her ever changing life, being always on the move.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:40 am 
JDZ Moderator

I agree, Linda. At least that is why she created him.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:31 am 

Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson
Agreed. Pantoufle, as Anouk's imaginary friend, provides her with a constant companion and friend that she can talk to and share with. Not being rooted anywhere or have any long lasting friends or close family, I feel Anouk struggles with lonliness, the stress of being the new person somewhere and making new friends, and having to defend her mother who is not usually accepted where they go.

I thought Pantoufle was a nice touch to add to the story in terms of giving Anouk some depth as a character. Really showing how she is trying to handle her upbringing. It was nice Vianne played along with it too, rather than belittle or shame her for having Pantoufle around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:02 am 

Her security blanket is a good way of putting it. He was a constant in her life when she had to deal with so much change and upheaval by moving all the time.

"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:09 am 
JDZ Moderator

KYwoman wrote:
I thought Pantoufle was a nice touch to add to the story in terms of giving Anouk some depth as a character. Really showing how she is trying to handle her upbringing. It was nice Vianne played along with it too, rather than belittle or shame her for having Pantoufle around.

Good point, KY. She isn't really developed much. But through Pantoufle we get a glimpse of her state of mind.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:07 am 

yep,I agree.
a child wants some secrutie in life,and with a imaginairie friend your stronger to handle new situations.

still the question is why did Armande mentioned him,did she looked long enough to see that Anouk had a imaginairie friend or is it a hind to the more magical shape?
I dont see it as a magic shape but the suggestion is surtenley there.
greets,
es

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:31 pm 

A security blanket is a good analogy, but es that is a question I have too. It is certainly hinted that he is a magical shape and both Vianne and Armande mention seeing him which is another hint that they have magical powers. Perhaps their ability to read people so well gave them the ability to see Pantoufle as Anouk saw him. Doesn't he begin to fade at some point when Anouk is feeling very settled there? I can't remember for sure. :-?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:39 pm 

I think you're right DITHOT and es. The book blurs the boundary between the imaginary and the spiritual/ghostly. And who is to say that there is not an overlap? After all, one person's ghost is another person's imagination. Perhaps it's all down to the interpretation.

And of course, as a device in writing it allows us to see how Anouk's mind deals with the events.

Finally, maybe there are echoes of the conversation that Guilliame and Reynaud had about animals having souls. So the interpretation that P.is the friendly ghost of a rabbit is quite appropriate.

Solace in the flood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:40 pm 

Pantoufle is Anouk's constant companion in her world full of change. He's her friend and playmate. He's also a vehicle for Anouk to express her fears. Anouk says that Pantoufle is scared when they first move into the new shop, so the three of them (Pantoufle, Anouk, and Vianne) go around making lots of noise and casting out bad spirits.

I liked Pantoufle! I had imaginary friends as a child, too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:43 pm 

Quote:
Endora wrote: Finally, maybe there are echoes of the conversation that Guilliame and Reynaud had about animals having souls. So the interpretation that P.is the friendly ghost of a rabbit is quite appropriate.

I had not made that connection. Good pick up, Endora! :cool:

I liked Pantoufle too, PhD! He certainly expressed to us what Anouk was feeling.

Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:56 pm 

Well, you guys covered it all! I agree. I did not have imaginary friends as a child, but can imagine in a situation like Anouk was in that it would be very comforting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:59 pm 
JDZ Moderator

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
It is certainly hinted that he is a magical shape and both Vianne and Armande mention seeing him which is another hint that they have magical powers. Perhaps their ability to read people so well gave them the ability to see Pantoufle as Anouk saw him. Doesn't he begin to fade at some point when Anouk is feeling very settled there? I can't remember for sure. :-?

This is the way I interpreted it. I believed that both Armande and Vianne had psychic abilities and thus were able to see him as Anouk did because they were sensitive to her. And yes, I remember him fading also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:46 pm 

yes,there is a mentioning on page 350.second before the last page.
"anouk sings for pantoufle while I read.
he hasnt been around lateley ;his place is taken by more tactile play mates.
it sounds meaningfullthat he is returned by the changing of the wind"

(the translation can be a bit off,I have to translate it back in English from the Dutch book)

love the expressing Anouks fear thrue the imagionairie friend,hadnt tought of that .

greets,
es

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:51 pm 

I am thinking that Pantoufle's foot is hurt as a way to express Anouk's desire to not move around as much. Other than that, I think y'all have covered a lot of ground here already (no pun intended).

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next