It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 4 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 8:20 am 

suec and es, I think balance and hope are two good words to describe the book! Noodlemantras, you all are on a roll! :bounce:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:09 pm 

I'm late, and seem to agree with all that's been said! I will throw in that it's also story about trying to control others (you can't/shouldn't do it). Caro tries to control Armande & Luc. Josephine's husband tries to control her. Reynauld tries to control everyone. You can't control others... you have to let them be who they are. I think this idea goes hand-in-hand with many of the other thoughts already expressed (or maybe just restates them in a different way).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:54 pm 
JDZ Moderator

es wrote:
Quote:
Also, I think the book (and ultimately Armand) showed me that it's o.k. to wear red underthings when you're 'old'

:rotflmao: and so its a book of hope :cool:

Es, I think it is a book of hope--hope for all those who made changes in their lives or those who saw that tolerance was the way. :cool:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:49 pm 
JDZ Moderator

suec wrote:
I like the points about the theme of change and facing up to personal demons. Also about intolerance and acceptance. I don't have much to add. But it seems also to be about balance in life and reconciliation, with others and ourselves. Also seeing the truth, in ourselves and others, the difference between appearance and reality, and perceptions of it: 'to see beneath the disguise to the truth'.

I agree with you on the "balance" theme. Reynaud and his groupies see things in black and white. But Vianne comes in with a fresh approach to life. She sees life in grays.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:40 am 

Before I read everyones' thoughts
I thought I'd give it a go.

I felt a strong kinship to this book.

For me it's about women's strengths, and the ability to focus, change and to overcome the domineering male, religious, and antiquated government or civil attitudes - to break free from the mold of what is"expected" of them.

Roux who too had overcome much of this narrow mindset was accepted readily by these strong willed women.

For me it was about women's commitment to overcome oppression and because of their strength, society as a whole is vastly improved

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:43 am 

Liz wrote:
suec wrote:
I like the points about the theme of change and facing up to personal demons. Also about intolerance and acceptance. I don't have much to add. But it seems also to be about balance in life and reconciliation, with others and ourselves. Also seeing the truth, in ourselves and others, the difference between appearance and reality, and perceptions of it: 'to see beneath the disguise to the truth'.

I agree with you on the "balance" theme. Reynaud and his groupies see things in black and white. But Vianne comes in with a fresh approach to life. She sees life in grays.

Not just in grays - but in colours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:23 am 

Hey, RR! :wave: Good to see you here! I'm glad you brought up the women, we will be discussing them starting today with Vianne.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:41 am 
JDZ Moderator

rustyred wrote:
Liz wrote:
suec wrote:

Not just in grays - but in colours

Perfect! I love it! :disco:

:welcome: Glad to have you join us, Rusty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:10 pm 

Sioux wrote:
Yay! My first real discussion! :yahoo:

Also, I think the book (and ultimately Armand) showed me that it's o.k. to wear red underthings when you're 'old'. :biglaugh: heehee

:chill: :pray:

I haven't finished the book yet!!!!! :bawl: I have barely even started! But Armand was one of my favorite characters in the movie. As a woman rapidly approaching the age of 60, I can see a positive theme for me. Red underthings! :bounce: :bounce: :blush: Sounds fabulous to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:23 pm 

Go for it, nebraska! :blush: Good to see you back at ONBC. :bounce: Even if you haven't read the book yet you know you can jump in anytime. :cool:

Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:52 pm 

Better late than never....

Accepting other for who they are!

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:19 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Veronica wrote:
Better late than never....

Accepting other for who they are!

Glad you are just late and not never, V. :grin:

And I agree with your opinion about the theme.

Page 4 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4