It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Articles of War..Nick Arvin
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:58 am 

I tried :-O I really did try to read this..I got to half way and got totally bored with it. :ugh: .This has to be the first Johnny-related book that I failed to finish..I didn't feel there was anything new in it,not in the subject matter or the way it was written....I'd be curious to hear other ONBC opinions....

I have faith in you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:54 am 

Gilly, I must have missed something. When was this book mentioned as a Depp read? Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:31 am 
JDZ Moderator

Charlene, I believe we've seen it in a couple of time in articles. This is the only one I've saved:

BOOK CLUB CURRENT SELECTION
'Articles' offers a different take on war
By Lynn Carey
CONTRA COSTA TIMES
FEAR. Chaos. Violence. As we enter our fourth year at war, it seems appropriate to look at the viewpoint of a young man in battle. In this case, the young farm boy from Iowa is sent to Normandy shortly after D-Day. He's bored at first, then scared when he finally goes to the combat zone. What he discovers there is that he's a coward.
The novel is "Articles of War," by Nick Arvin (Anchor, 192 pages, $12.95). It's a short book, but powerful. It was recommended last year to the Times Book Club by Judy Wheeler, owner of Towne Center Books in Pleasanton. "It's a view of war that is just scary," she says. "It says how it is in the trenches emotionally. And it takes some unusual twists."
It's only fitting that we'll be going to Towne Center in Pleasanton to discuss "Articles of War," the movie rights of which, Judy says, have been bought by Johnny Depp. So we need to read it before it hits the big screen in a few years.
The book officially comes out in paperback Tuesday, but the publisher has promised to get copies ahead of time to East Bay bookstores.
• Bookstore discussion: 7 p.m. Wednesday, March 8, at Towne Center Books, 555 Main St., Pleasanton. 925-846-8826.
• Send comments: Please send your comments by March 13, even if you plan to be at the bookstore discussion.
• Mail comments to: Times Book Club, P.O. Box 8099, Walnut Creek, CA 94596-8099. Include your name, address and day and evening phone numbers in all correspondence, even e-mail.
• E-mail comments to: bookclub@cctimes.com.
• Fax comments to: Times Book Club, 925-943-8265.
• Next Times Book Club "meeting": Sunday, March 26, in A&E.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:47 pm 

You can hear Nick talk about his book here. Just enter ''Nick Arvin'' in the search box.. http://cpr.org/co_matters/

I have faith in you.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]