It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




 Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Inamorata Question #17 - A Young Man's Game?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:08 am 
JDZ Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Posts: 12404
Location: The Left Coast
Pg. 314. “Psychic investigation is a young man’s game,….for after the age of forty or so, the outcome attains an importance that precludes all objectivity. This is why undergraduates make the best investigators, second only to atheists.”

Do you agree or disagree? Why?



_________________________________________________________
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:47 am 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:14 am
Posts: 147936
Location: UK
Certainly he was thinking about death but I am not sure he was accurate about being over 40 your mind is more drawn to the end of your life and what becomes of you.
Young people of course have their whole lives to lead and don't dwell too much on what becomes of them and since athiests don't believe at all I guess he has that right. Hope that made sense?


Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:17 am 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:43 pm
Posts: 10376
Location: Austin
I hadn't thought of death GG. My take on it was that after the age of 40 it's hard for us to remain objective because of all our life experiences and if you are an atheist, you don't have a strong belief system to reflect on your conclusions.



_________________________________________________________
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!
Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:30 am 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:37 pm
Posts: 1427
It seemed to me that he was saying that it should be someone who couldn't care less or really didn't believe in life after death. That person would never subconsciously lean towards believing in the medium. Forty seems young for thinking of one's death, but in the 20's it wasn't quite so far off. And I agree with him. :cool:



_________________________________________________________
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."
Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:57 am 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:14 am
Posts: 147936
Location: UK
Betty Sue wrote:
It seemed to me that he was saying that it should be someone who couldn't care less or really didn't believe in life after death. That person would never subconsciously lean towards believing in the medium. Forty seems young for thinking of one's death, but in the 20's it wasn't quite so far off. And I agree with him. :cool:


Yes, thats the sort of thing I was meaning too. Also because they have no motive for needing to believe the medium, would probably be more thorough in the investigation.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:13 am 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:15 am
Posts: 1120
Location: making grilled cheese
Hmm..I never thought about it like that. It seems like it could be that way because young people think they're invincible but when you're over forty you're halfway there and reflecting on your life span and everything that went on in your life. Atheiests(sp?) sorry I'm kind of tired today so excuse me, don't believe in any type of heaven and hell but a higher being.



_________________________________________________________
Ambition without inspiration is like a boat on dry land.

the future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. -Eleanor Roosevelt
Offline
 Profile YIM 
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:21 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:06 pm
Posts: 777
Location: Texas across the pond
This is really a very broad generalization. I think that some people have a tendency to be less flexible in their thinking as they age. As my mother always said "they becomes set in their ways". A bit more judgemental and a bit less accepting, I believe.

However, I find that my ONBC mates are mostly open to new ideas and experiences, regardless of their age.



_________________________________________________________
""We shall never cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time." T.S. Eliot
Offline
 Profile YIM 
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:35 pm 
JDZ Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Posts: 12404
Location: The Left Coast
Larkwoodgirl wrote:
However, I find that my ONBC mates are mostly open to new ideas and experiences, regardless of their age.


Larkwood, I would strongly agree with that observation. It appears to me that Johnny attracts people who already are or who yearn to be open-minded.



_________________________________________________________
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:52 pm 
JDZ Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Posts: 12404
Location: The Left Coast
And Larkwood, I also agree with you that it is too broad a generalization.

An undergraduate would be more objective because she/he is young, open-minded and excited by the quest for knowledge. However, not having the wisdom acquired with experience can spawn naiveté.

An atheist is probably more likely to be objective from the standpoint that she/he is more skeptical, thus being more scientific in her/his investigation. On the other hand, atheists are not open-minded to believing. So that could preclude their being objective.



_________________________________________________________
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Inamorata Question #17 - A Young Man's Game?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:30 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2004 4:50 pm
Posts: 2059
Location: Olney, Maryland
Liz wrote:
Pg. 314. “Psychic investigation is a young man’s game,….for after the age of forty or so, the outcome attains an importance that precludes all objectivity. This is why undergraduates make the best investigators, second only to atheists.”

Do you agree or disagree? Why?
Houdini, as we learned in a tidbit, was over 50 when he died, and he was still investigating. (Was he objective? Or was he biased against spiritualism?)

I took this to mean that people over forty are thinking of their own death, but I think it could also be interpreted to mean that older people have probably seen more of death than undergraduates have (war veterans excepted).


Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:37 pm 
JDZ Web Designer
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 01, 2005 1:21 am
Posts: 20196
Location: Houston, Texas
Interesting observations, everyone…and food for thought.

I thought of this in the context of death and belief in the afterlife. Since this writing was published posthumously, it’s hard to say when McLaughlin wrote it, but I think he knew he was dying and so could no longer remain objective to a scientific investigation. On page 315, Finch wrote: “…I came to the conclusion that perhaps our failing had been the same. We had both wanted to believe – with a devotion bordering on desperation – that Mina Crawley was real.” Finch, because he had fallen in love with Mina – and McLaughlin? Maybe because he was facing the question of what, if anything, was on the other side.

Liz wrote:
An undergraduate would be more objective because she/he is young, open-minded and excited by the quest for knowledge. However, not having the wisdom acquired with experience can spawn naiveté.

An atheist is probably more likely to be objective from the standpoint that she/he is more skeptical, thus being more scientific in her/his investigation. On the other hand, atheists are not open-minded to believing. So that could preclude their being objective.


Those are good descriptions, Liz. I find that no one is objective in an investigation. Everyone has a personal bias to what is being investigated. The goal is to recognize that bias and take it into account when trying to be objective.

So, in a way I disagree with that statement, because anyone, at any age, can achieve the same level of objectivity by recognizing it. And then again – since the whole purpose of a psychic investigation was to prove how the phenomenon could be faked, what better skeptic than an atheist, followed by the young undergraduate who still had the desire to question everything.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:42 pm 
JDZ Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Posts: 12404
Location: The Left Coast
theresa wrote:
So, in a way I disagree with that statement, because anyone, at any age, can achieve the same level of objectivity by recognizing it. And then again – since the whole purpose of a psychic investigation was to prove how the phenomenon could be faked, what better skeptic than an atheist, followed by the young undergraduate who still had the desire to question everything.


This is another excellent way of putting it, Theresa. It is true that young people question everything. :cool:



_________________________________________________________
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:47 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:14 pm
Posts: 687
Location: Austin, TX
Very well said, Theresa.



_________________________________________________________
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame
Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:00 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:14 am
Posts: 147936
Location: UK
Agreed Theresa :cool:


Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:01 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:14 pm
Posts: 6552
Location: australia
It's a strange statement..implying that students are more objective and less governed by their own beliefs..But the students I knew,me included :capnjack: ,had pretty set political beliefs,at least.Obviously when we get older,we carry more baggage and life experiences which influence our opinions...I also think he is implying that by 40 we are starting to think about our own mortality....On the other hand,when you get older you start to accept the things that have happened to you..look at them with some equinimity and acceptance..So on balance I think us over 40's would make terrific investigators.. :cool:



_________________________________________________________
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


phpBB skin developed by: John Olson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group