It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Inamorata Question #17 - A Young Man's Game?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:08 am 
JDZ Moderator

Pg. 314. “Psychic investigation is a young man’s game,….for after the age of forty or so, the outcome attains an importance that precludes all objectivity. This is why undergraduates make the best investigators, second only to atheists.”

Do you agree or disagree? Why?

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:47 am 

Certainly he was thinking about death but I am not sure he was accurate about being over 40 your mind is more drawn to the end of your life and what becomes of you.
Young people of course have their whole lives to lead and don't dwell too much on what becomes of them and since athiests don't believe at all I guess he has that right. Hope that made sense?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:17 am 

I hadn't thought of death GG. My take on it was that after the age of 40 it's hard for us to remain objective because of all our life experiences and if you are an atheist, you don't have a strong belief system to reflect on your conclusions.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:30 am 

It seemed to me that he was saying that it should be someone who couldn't care less or really didn't believe in life after death. That person would never subconsciously lean towards believing in the medium. Forty seems young for thinking of one's death, but in the 20's it wasn't quite so far off. And I agree with him. :cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:57 am 

Betty Sue wrote:
It seemed to me that he was saying that it should be someone who couldn't care less or really didn't believe in life after death. That person would never subconsciously lean towards believing in the medium. Forty seems young for thinking of one's death, but in the 20's it wasn't quite so far off. And I agree with him. :cool:

Yes, thats the sort of thing I was meaning too. Also because they have no motive for needing to believe the medium, would probably be more thorough in the investigation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:13 am 

Hmm..I never thought about it like that. It seems like it could be that way because young people think they're invincible but when you're over forty you're halfway there and reflecting on your life span and everything that went on in your life. Atheiests(sp?) sorry I'm kind of tired today so excuse me, don't believe in any type of heaven and hell but a higher being.

the future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. -Eleanor Roosevelt
 Profile YIM 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:21 pm 

This is really a very broad generalization. I think that some people have a tendency to be less flexible in their thinking as they age. As my mother always said "they becomes set in their ways". A bit more judgemental and a bit less accepting, I believe.

However, I find that my ONBC mates are mostly open to new ideas and experiences, regardless of their age.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:35 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Larkwoodgirl wrote:
However, I find that my ONBC mates are mostly open to new ideas and experiences, regardless of their age.

Larkwood, I would strongly agree with that observation. It appears to me that Johnny attracts people who already are or who yearn to be open-minded.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:52 pm 
JDZ Moderator

And Larkwood, I also agree with you that it is too broad a generalization.

An undergraduate would be more objective because she/he is young, open-minded and excited by the quest for knowledge. However, not having the wisdom acquired with experience can spawn naiveté.

An atheist is probably more likely to be objective from the standpoint that she/he is more skeptical, thus being more scientific in her/his investigation. On the other hand, atheists are not open-minded to believing. So that could preclude their being objective.

Post subject: Re: Inamorata Question #17 - A Young Man's Game?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:30 pm 

Liz wrote:
Pg. 314. “Psychic investigation is a young man’s game,….for after the age of forty or so, the outcome attains an importance that precludes all objectivity. This is why undergraduates make the best investigators, second only to atheists.”

Do you agree or disagree? Why?
Houdini, as we learned in a tidbit, was over 50 when he died, and he was still investigating. (Was he objective? Or was he biased against spiritualism?)

I took this to mean that people over forty are thinking of their own death, but I think it could also be interpreted to mean that older people have probably seen more of death than undergraduates have (war veterans excepted).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:37 pm 
JDZ Web Designer

Interesting observations, everyone…and food for thought.

I thought of this in the context of death and belief in the afterlife. Since this writing was published posthumously, it’s hard to say when McLaughlin wrote it, but I think he knew he was dying and so could no longer remain objective to a scientific investigation. On page 315, Finch wrote: “…I came to the conclusion that perhaps our failing had been the same. We had both wanted to believe – with a devotion bordering on desperation – that Mina Crawley was real.” Finch, because he had fallen in love with Mina – and McLaughlin? Maybe because he was facing the question of what, if anything, was on the other side.

Liz wrote:
An undergraduate would be more objective because she/he is young, open-minded and excited by the quest for knowledge. However, not having the wisdom acquired with experience can spawn naiveté.

An atheist is probably more likely to be objective from the standpoint that she/he is more skeptical, thus being more scientific in her/his investigation. On the other hand, atheists are not open-minded to believing. So that could preclude their being objective.

Those are good descriptions, Liz. I find that no one is objective in an investigation. Everyone has a personal bias to what is being investigated. The goal is to recognize that bias and take it into account when trying to be objective.

So, in a way I disagree with that statement, because anyone, at any age, can achieve the same level of objectivity by recognizing it. And then again – since the whole purpose of a psychic investigation was to prove how the phenomenon could be faked, what better skeptic than an atheist, followed by the young undergraduate who still had the desire to question everything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:42 pm 
JDZ Moderator

theresa wrote:
So, in a way I disagree with that statement, because anyone, at any age, can achieve the same level of objectivity by recognizing it. And then again – since the whole purpose of a psychic investigation was to prove how the phenomenon could be faked, what better skeptic than an atheist, followed by the young undergraduate who still had the desire to question everything.

This is another excellent way of putting it, Theresa. It is true that young people question everything. :cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:47 pm 

Very well said, Theresa.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:00 pm 

Agreed Theresa :cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:01 pm 

It's a strange statement..implying that students are more objective and less governed by their own beliefs..But the students I knew,me included :capnjack: ,had pretty set political beliefs,at least.Obviously when we get older,we carry more baggage and life experiences which influence our opinions...I also think he is implying that by 40 we are starting to think about our own mortality....On the other hand,when you get older you start to accept the things that have happened to you..look at them with some equinimity and acceptance..So on balance I think us over 40's would make terrific investigators.. :cool:

I have faith in you.

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next