It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Shantaram Book Question
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:15 pm 
JDZ Moderator

I have a question to those of you who have read both Shantaram and A Million Little Pieces:

Did you find any parallels?

NOTE: Answers will be
****SPOILERS****

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:14 pm 

Sorry, Liz - I haven't read A Million Little Pieces yet. I have been tempted to pick it up though - should I??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:22 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Hi Lumi. Unfortunately I have not read it. It is a friend of mine from my hometown who brought it up. She wants to know what others think but doesn't know anyone who's read both books. So I thought I'd ask here.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:26 pm 

It got decidedly mixed reviews at amazon. I know Oprah picked it, but she picks a LOT of depressing books, IMHO. Obviously the addiction is a commonality. Did your friend read both and see some similarities??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:15 am 

I've not read it either, but when I read an article about the whole flap about A Million Little Pieces, the article described the book in just a few sentences and I remember thinking it sounded vaguely like Shantaram....
Will have to check it out, unless someone here has read both.

bluebird

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:42 am 

I personally found almost no similarities between the two books at all other than on the surface.

Shantaram is a brilliantly written, insightful, fictional biography of a very courageous, intelligent, creative man who suffered greatly and was open to learning life's lessons. Every one I have recommended it to has really liked it and in fact has purchased their own copy, in many cases to highlight the wonderful insights that Roberts shares.

A Million Little Pieces, written a few years ago and not really recognized until Oprah's blessing is an overexaggeration and dramatization of Frey's life. I read it last year before any of the recent press and immediately recognized the sensationalism style. I have not recommended it to anyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:05 am 

karla wrote:
A Million Little Pieces, written a few years ago and not really recognized until Oprah's blessing is an overexaggeration and dramatization of Frey's life. I read it last year before any of the recent press and immediately recognized the sensationalism style. I have not recommended it to anyone.

Interesting to hear you say that, karla - it seems that many of the reviewers on amazon share your thoughts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:10 pm 

I'm afraid I haven't read the second book so can't comment on it, but I am now about a third of the way through Shantaram. I first started it last year and couldn't get into it at all, but I have persevered this month and I am starting to truly enjoy it! It is not at all the sort of story I would normally read, but I am learning so much from it and GDR gives such a vivid and heartfelt narrative. I am starting to like Lin and Karla and to care about them, and I am also much more interested in the movie. Were it not for Johnny and this forum I would not have begun reading Shantaram at all. :cool: When I get the chance I will check out the Shantaram discussions from last year.

"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness" - John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

**Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar**! !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:05 pm 
JDZ Moderator

karla wrote:
I personally found almost no similarities between the two books at all other than on the surface.

Shantaram is a brilliantly written, insightful, fictional biography of a very courageous, intelligent, creative man who suffered greatly and was open to learning life's lessons. Every one I have recommended it to has really liked it and in fact has purchased their own copy, in many cases to highlight the wonderful insights that Roberts shares.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on these two books, Karla. :cool:

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]