It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: TL Question #14 ~ Favorite Passages
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:12 am 

What are your favorite passages?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:48 pm 

Mine would be the opening monologue, in both book and play and the closing monologue as shown in the film.

To me, this is wonderful writing. I've done so much reading on Rochester but I could never in a million years come up with a monologue like this which in one sweep encapsulates Rochester - here is his arrogance, humour, licentiousness, anger, and above all his wit, and ultimately, his vulnerability.

I had read it so many times, but no amount of readings could have prepared me for the impact in the cinema, Johnny brings so much to this wonderful speech. I'm trying not to give much away for those who haven't seen it, but the closing monologue is also quite wonderful - cynical yet heartbreaking.

I also love Lizzie's line, "I hope I shall always be in your heart and sometime in your thoughts".........

"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness" - John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

**Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar**! !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:36 pm 
JDZ Moderator

The opening monologue aside (because it is obviously my favorite), there are some one liners that I like also. This one is my favorite:

"In my experience, those who do not like you fall into two categories: the stupid, and the envious."

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:27 am 

Of course the opening monologue, which I have read over the phone or in person to so many people .

Ironically I had marked one passage in the book before I knew of Johnny's attraction to it...

"That is what I envy in you stage people. The notion that something......But that is not what life is, it isn't a succession of urgent NOWS it's a listless trickle of "Why should I's?' ....."

Then when I saw that shirt! WOW !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:47 am 

YES YES YES... I love everyone's choices. I will add these two:

WILMOT: I do not mean to upset people. Alcock, it isn’t a plan I carry around with but I have to speak my mind, because what is in my mind is always more interesting than what is happening in the world outside my mind, and if I cannot connect the two, I will become med, d’you see?

I think that this is an INCREDIBLY romantic passage:

BARRY: You see differently. I know you do, for I have had you in the two o’clock dark when you have held me and, while we coupled, spoken thoughts richer than I have heard from any other man, and yet you are afraid to show this openly. When two o’clock is gone and you are the eleven in the morning man, then you disavow that part of you that was so weak and gentle and must only rail and sneer. I would you had the courage to show the world the man I have seen for did he but let himself shine he would guide us all to new and finer place.

WILMOT: That man is only for you, Lizzie, for only your eyes and voice can raise him from the dust. When he walks the world at eleven in the morning, he sees no sight that merits the love he finds in the darkness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:06 am 
JDZ Moderator

Dharma, thanks for bringing that passage to our attention again. It is extremely romantic!

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:45 am 

Liz wrote:
The opening monologue aside (because it is obviously my favorite), there are some one liners that I like also. This one is my favorite:

"In my experience, those who do not like you fall into two categories: the stupid, and the envious."

A favorite of mine obviously! See my siggy...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:33 am 

I hae sevearal - the opening and closing monologues, the "why nots" passage and this one that Dharma referenced:

WILMOT: I do not mean to upset people. Alcock, it isn’t a plan I carry around with but I have to speak my mind, because what is in my mind is always more interesting than what is happening in the world outside my mind, and if I cannot connect the two, I will become mad, d’you see?

I think that quote speaks volumes about JW! Watch for this line when you see the movie. The way JD delivers it is perfect!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:30 am 

I have several favorite passages. The opening monologue gets me every time. I've particularly like it read by Johnny of course, I've listened to the audio clip, from the BBC radio program several times.

There are 2 passages spoken by EM, one on pg.27, she describes her abduction by Wilmot with such romantic feeling. the other is on pg. 38, when she explains why she doesn't like London.

The exchange between Wilmot and Barry on pg. 48, after he smashes the King's sundial.

The passages beginning on pg. 68, when Wilmot returns to Court after being Dr. Bendo. The exchange between him and the King, is funny, and of course the bit were Wilmot blames Charles for his father's absence.

There are others, but I'll stop here.

Live in Depp
Boo

"The theater is my drug, and my illness is so far advanced that my physic must be of the highest quality."~~John Wilmot

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]