ONBC Monday Night Thread - Holiday Traditions and Plans

Moderator: Liz

depprespect

Unread postby depprespect » Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:15 pm

Awesome thread-just reading it has given me Christmas Spirit!

Christmas is all about family and friends for us. My brother plays in a symphony orchestra (he's also a sucessful jazz percussionist) so we begin each holiday season with a trip to see him play in The Nutcracker Suite (I like to give my boys a bit of "culture"-lol).
St. Nick arrives the night of the 5th to fill stockings hung by the chimney. Since my Dad died, we travel to my mother's house so she can watch my boys open presents Christmas morning. We generally have a formal meal of roast beef, Yorkshire pudding, and the famous Sticky Toffee Pudding for dessert. It's tradition in our family and happens to be a Johnny fav-lol!
I spend New Year's with my boys. We generally all pitch in and make a festive dinner, whether it's Mexican food or lobster, I drink champagne and they drink sparkling grape juice. We then ring in the New Year at midnight by bundling up and going outside to blast off our antique cannon. The neighbors (the closest one is a quarter of a mile away) look forward to the "BOOM" every year. :-)

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:50 pm

depprespect wrote:Awesome thread-just reading it has given me Christmas Spirit!

Christmas is all about family and friends for us. My brother plays in a symphony orchestra (he's also a sucessful jazz percussionist) so we begin each holiday season with a trip to see him play in The Nutcracker Suite (I like to give my boys a bit of "culture"-lol).
St. Nick arrives the night of the 5th to fill stockings hung by the chimney. Since my Dad died, we travel to my mother's house so she can watch my boys open presents Christmas morning. We generally have a formal meal of roast beef, Yorkshire pudding, and the famous Sticky Toffee Pudding for dessert. It's tradition in our family and happens to be a Johnny fav-lol!
I spend New Year's with my boys. We generally all pitch in and make a festive dinner, whether it's Mexican food or lobster, I drink champagne and they drink sparkling grape juice. We then ring in the New Year at midnight by bundling up and going outside to blast off our antique cannon. The neighbors (the closest one is a quarter of a mile away) look forward to the "BOOM" every year. :-)

Hi Depprespect. :wave: Glad you weighed in. I love the music from the Nutcracker Suite, and Yorkshire pudding is a definite favorite around my house.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

maple

Unread postby maple » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:48 pm

I wish I could stay home for New Years. I have to work.
To all those thinking about becoming a nurse - think twice!

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:26 pm

maple wrote:I wish I could stay home for New Years. I have to work.

But where would we be without you all, maple? You guys are what makes hospitals a half way decent place to be! :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

ibbi 3

Unread postby ibbi 3 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:58 am

And if you want to marry a capdriver think twice to :lol: ,
I spend every Christmas and New Year alone.
We spend the holidays at home , the children and me , and mr. ibbi works alot during those days.
I come from a very large family and I remember we use to celebrate Christmas Eve with everyone at my father's place , it's was real crowded and busy . We went to church and then had an midnight meal . The best thing was the home-baked bread with raisins.
My grandmother use to cook bread to , it's a special cooking-pan and an old Dutch recepi. Very yummy !
I love the days and weeks till Christmas , but I don't like New Year - another year gone by - always makes me kind of sad , and I don't like the fireworks . It's for the children , otherwise I would spend the evening sleeping .
Joel:"That's the movies, Ed. Try reality." Ed:"No thanks." Northern Exposure

Charly

Unread postby Charly » Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:28 am

What a wonderful thread is this .

I love reading about traditions from all over the world - it`s so interesting to find out what zoners are doing and planing , gives me a really good feeling :grouphug:

Thanks for opening that thread ~ wish you all good time

"He's very intuitive. It's kind of contradictory because he's incredibly intelligent and smart, but he will react from his heart and not from his head." ~ Jim Jarmusch

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:18 am

Charly, glad you stopped by. :wave: Love the angels! :angel:

Ibbi, I feel the same way about New Years. However, for me it is because it signifies the end of the holidays :tear: , not the end of another year.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

QueenofKings

Unread postby QueenofKings » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:40 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:

But where would we be without you all, maple? You guys are what makes hospitals a half way decent place to be! :cool:

Here here! I second that, DITHOT. I have several close friends who are nurses and they are amazing people. Without nurses, hospitals would be completely awful places to be. In fact, I think that they would have to close down.

ibbi 3

Unread postby ibbi 3 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:10 pm

Liz wrote:Charly, glad you stopped by. :wave: Love the angels! :angel:

Ibbi, I feel the same way about New Years. However, for me it is because it signifies the end of the holidays :tear: , not the end of another year.

Yes , that's true to Liz , on New Year it's all over and Januari is such a dull month compared to December.

I love Charly's Angels also ~

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:55 pm

ibbi 3 wrote: I love Charly's Angels also ~

:lol: I didn't even catch that. :dunce:

ibbi 3

Unread postby ibbi 3 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:01 pm

:lol:
I didn't realise it before I typed it ~ funny .

Jackslady

Unread postby Jackslady » Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:54 pm

Endora wrote:It's been nice to read all your stories here. We have a few family traditions, the when we open presents and what we eat stuff, all pretty dull but a consoling pattern in their own way.

My DH and kids still love Christmas, but a few years ago my parents died , one each side of Christmas, pretty unexpectedly. Being an only child made it seem even harder. I've never really been comfortable with it since then, so I actually just grit my teeth and long for New Year.

My thoughts are with you, endora. I'm an only child too and since my parents died I have no relatives at all. Since I have no partner or kids either, I'm now on my fourth Christmas alone - I've actually spent three Christmas Days alone, it's not that bad really, I still make myself a complete Christmas dinner, I eat by candlelight in the kitchen, listen to my favourite choral music, then go for a walk and watch wall to wall Johnny until bed time! This year a friend has kindly asked me to her house, I honestly don't know whether I'll enjoy it or not. Of all the days in the year, it's the one when I miss my family and particularly my parents the most. I think all families have their own particular Christmas traditions and visiting others you can feel like you're intruding.

I've really enjoyed reading this thread and finding out what everyone does for Christmas, I hope everyone here has a wonderful time!!

I wonder if there are any other zoners out there like me who have no family, or like endora, may find Christmas difficult because some family members are no longer here?
"Easy on the goods darlin!"
"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness"-John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

*Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar*

QueenofKings

Unread postby QueenofKings » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:34 pm

Jackslady wrote:
Endora wrote:It's been nice to read all your stories here. We have a few family traditions, the when we open presents and what we eat stuff, all pretty dull but a consoling pattern in their own way.

My DH and kids still love Christmas, but a few years ago my parents died , one each side of Christmas, pretty unexpectedly. Being an only child made it seem even harder. I've never really been comfortable with it since then, so I actually just grit my teeth and long for New Year.

My thoughts are with you, endora. I'm an only child too and since my parents died I have no relatives at all. Since I have no partner or kids either, I'm now on my fourth Christmas alone - I've actually spent three Christmas Days alone, it's not that bad really, I still make myself a complete Christmas dinner, I eat by candlelight in the kitchen, listen to my favourite choral music, then go for a walk and watch wall to wall Johnny until bed time! This year a friend has kindly asked me to her house, I honestly don't know whether I'll enjoy it or not. Of all the days in the year, it's the one when I miss my family and particularly my parents the most. I think all families have their own particular Christmas traditions and visiting others you can feel like you're intruding.

I've really enjoyed reading this thread and finding out what everyone does for Christmas, I hope everyone here has a wonderful time!!

I wonder if there are any other zoners out there like me who have no family, or like endora, may find Christmas difficult because some family members are no longer here?

Jackslady and Endora, I can relate a bit. My grandfather actually passed away on Christmas Eve when I was 8 and it put a damper on my family's holidays for quite a few years after that. I can't imagine having no family though because my folks are still around, although far away. My dh only has his brother left. They lost all the rest of their family (Mom, Dad, great aunts and uncles, aunts, uncles) within a 4 year span of time in the early '90s.

My dh and I have our holiday party every year and it seems a lot of our friends are alone and without family for a variety of reasons. When you get to a certain age I think it gets to be like that more and more. I like it that we have made a place where people feel comfortable for the holidays. A lot of them have decided that our place is where they celebrate now. We make a surrogate kind of family together. Last year someone said, "We aren't related by blood, but we are related by love."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:45 pm

Queen, that is so wonderful of you that you can be a place where people can go and feel welcome on the holidays.

CarrieKY

Unread postby CarrieKY » Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:03 pm

I feel at such loose ends during the holidays since my divorce. I had the big house, and had all the celebrations... It's so different now, I live in a small apartment, and we're celebrating this year at my parents house. I'm doing all the work, but it is stressful for Mom who feels she needs to do more. I just wish it was all over... :-/

The only bright light in all of this is my 5 year old grand-daughter, Maria. I will get to spend a few hours with her on Christmas Day.

Being a nurse for 30+ years, I can relate to maple's dilemma. The main reason I took the job in Surgery was the great schedule - no weekends or holidays. I worked every other Christmas for years while working on a unit.

I'm trying to remain positive - I still have my incredible parents whom I adore, my two boys and Maria...just need to adjust to all the life changes of late.

Return to “The Monday Night Thread”