It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next
 Post subject: ONBC Birthday Question #1 ~ Old Books
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:30 am 

A question for you Noodlemantras…The suggestion (thank you, Endora!) was made for us to revisit previous discussions that have been held at ONBC for the benefit of our members that might have missed out. What say you all? Image

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:42 am 

I am not sure how this would work. Would we take a month to re-read the book, have all the tidbits posted again, and take another month to have a second discussion? Or would discussing a book the second time be in somewhat abbreviated form?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:48 am 

Oh, yeah, I would definitely have to reread ~ and ~ whimper ~ would the questions be any easier?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:08 am 
JDZ Moderator

Good questions, Nebraska and Charlene--ones I hadn't yet considered. I obviously haven't spent a whole lot of time thinking this through. But that's why we asked the question--to see what y'all would say. Now that I'm slowly waking up here as I'm typing and have a a couple minutes to think about this, I can give an opinion on the tidbits. I think we would still have them. Many of the originals were lost in a crash so they could be slightly different the next time around. Plus, we didn't have DITHOT's expertise in historical tidbits for some of these books back then. And we have new members who were never able to see them.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:10 am 

I'd love to participate. Then again, I always say that and yet I never get round to finishing the books in time. Real life and stuff like that... :bawl:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:19 am 
JDZ Moderator

Anna, it's OK to participate even if you haven't finished the book in its entirety. :cool: We'd love to have you sometime.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:31 am 

Aaaaw Liz, that's sweet of you to say. First and only time I did that was with Shantaram and upon opening a thread on Prabaker (my favourite character), I learnt that he would die. I was devastated. Now there's a book I'm definitely going to read again. I'll keep checking the ONBC's reading list regularly, though. You're all doing such a fine job there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:23 pm 

Thank you, Liz and DITHOT, for taking my suggestion seroiusly. I would certainly like the chance to read the notes again, and answer the questions. And perhaps if any of you go to and meet him at a premiere, Libertine maybe, you could ask him what he's reading now! (That's if you were capable of speech at a time like that, I wouldn't be :blush: )

Solace in the flood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:42 pm 

As you can tell we are just in the throwing it around stage.

Anna, I hate it when that happens! :banghead: I apologize if we didn't mark that question as a spoiler, we certainly should have! :blush:

Endora, Liz and I will be at the Tribute and The Libertine premiere in LA( :bounce: ). If we get a chance you can be sure we will ask. What might actually come out of our mouths might not be very intelligible, but we'll ask! :-O :thud: :lol:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:46 pm 

I would love the chance to go over some of the earlier books again. I missed out on those discussions and tidbits. Great idea! :cool:

"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:48 pm 

Well I just ordered The Libertine, so I would love a discussion of that one again. If you were all up for it....one more time!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:49 pm 
JDZ Web Designer

Count me in, too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:19 pm 

Oh, I've got The Libertine AND I've read it! I'm definitely up for it, maybe not all the time, but hey, count me in.

Last edited by Anna on Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:21 pm 

I've got The Libertine sitting out to read again before I see the movie. So I'd love to do another discussion of it too!

"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:37 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Endora wrote:
And perhaps if any of you go to and meet him at a premiere, Libertine maybe, you could ask him what he's reading now! (That's if you were capable of speech at a time like that, I wouldn't be :blush: )

Endora, I've already fantasized--repeatedly--about asking that question if given the opportune moment. I should have my lines down by then. :yikes:

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next