It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




 Page 2 of 4 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:07 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:42 am
Posts: 5942
Location: Ohio
KYwoman wrote:
Maybe next time I'll be reading it in a Paris cafe, sipping wine, when a certain someone walks by, notices the book and stops to chat......*sigh*


KY ...KY wake up wake up!

your dreaming! you were making such strange noises. are you ok? :lol:



_________________________________________________________
Everything is always okay in the end,
if it's not, then it's not the end.

Today is a gift....Have Fun!
Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:14 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:43 pm
Posts: 10376
Location: Austin
Quote:
Veronica wrote: this discussion was great because it came at a time that we were all saying goodbye to Hunter.


That was the hard part, V, but the timing was right. :bawl:

Quote:
Lumineuse wrote: Like everyone else, I found the book hilarious. I laughed out loud at something on nearly every page. But on a deeper level, I found it very sad. The Wave speech just makes me want to cry. I get such a sense of loss from the book.


Interesting how the Wave speech affected us all. What a great tribute to Hunter. :cool:

Quote:
KYwoman wrote: Any time you say DITHOTgonzo!! But if we are to go now, we better head south to the Bahamas where he is filming to make sure we can 'accidently' bump into him, books in hand!


KY and sar, I’ve alerted the ONBC pilot. I’m packing my sunscreen… first stop the Bahamas! Veronica, jump on board. We’ll wake KY when we get there… :disco:

Quote:
CarrieKY wrote: Apparently, reading this book has unleashed some kind of hideous, reptilian beast from deep within my soul....


Carrie, we are glad you unleashed it here.. I am however, for safety’s sake, taking one giant step backwards… :-O

Quote:
QofK wrote: This is the coolest thing, that each time I read it, I discover something new. And discussing the book with you guys has multiplied that many-fold. Yeah, that's the coolest thing.


QofK it’s been great to have you here on the ride. Thanks for all your insights and input. :cool:



_________________________________________________________
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!
Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:26 pm 
JDZ Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Posts: 12396
Location: The Left Coast
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
Quote:
KYwoman wrote: Any time you say DITHOTgonzo!! But if we are to go now, we better head south to the Bahamas where he is filming to make sure we can 'accidently' bump into him, books in hand!


KY and sar, I’ve alerted the ONBC pilot. I’m packing my sunscreen… first stop the Bahamas! Veronica, jump on board. We’ll wake KY when we get there… :disco:


Here I am, reporting for duty. I think I should forewarn you, though, that this pilot if afraid of flying. :freaked:



_________________________________________________________
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:29 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:24 pm
Posts: 1220
Location: a high and beautiful wave
FALILV has affected me both on an intellectual level, and emotional because I really dove into it with nothing to loose. The book sort of steered itself for me. It was almost as if the book did the page turning because the story grabbed me, and I just couldn't stop reading. Reading this book gave me more of an insight to Hunter S. Thompson. I really came to terms with myself by reading it because I recognized how my tastes in reading differed from others my age. While other teens in my school read tiger beat and teen novels, I'm reading something more effective. Something that I'll keep with me for the rest of my life. The book had a better voice this time around, whereas when I saw the movie, the voice wasn't clear to me. Its just ashame that the voice is gone.
:-/ But it still lives on in our hearts.


Hannah



_________________________________________________________
"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Rosevelt
Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:35 pm 
JDZ Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Posts: 12396
Location: The Left Coast
KY and QofK, I think it's so cool that this book can have so many meanings and have traveled with you so many different places. And V, it was bittersweet studying it right now. However, I think it made it all the more special.

This was the first time I read it. So I can't say how I will feel when I pick it up again. I was stunned and amazed at the effect it had on my life over the past couple of months. I guess you could say I was living and breathing it sans the drugs. (well maybe a little Chivas with my ice now and then) It was the total experience that effected me--learning what I did through the tidbits, reading the book, taking my tour, mysteries unfolding, reading from his other books, reminiscing about the 60's and 70's, the memorial in the middle of it all, and last but not least, learning from all of you. It's been quite a ride. :cool:



_________________________________________________________
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:37 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:42 am
Posts: 5942
Location: Ohio
Liz wrote:
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
Quote:
KYwoman wrote: Any time you say DITHOTgonzo!! But if we are to go now, we better head south to the Bahamas where he is filming to make sure we can 'accidently' bump into him, books in hand!


KY and sar, I’ve alerted the ONBC pilot. I’m packing my sunscreen… first stop the Bahamas! Veronica, jump on board. We’ll wake KY when we get there… :disco:


Here I am, reporting for duty. I think I should forewarn you, though, that this pilot if afraid of flying. :freaked:


Im sure we can find something in the "suitcase" that will calm you! ;-)



_________________________________________________________
Everything is always okay in the end,
if it's not, then it's not the end.

Today is a gift....Have Fun!
Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:39 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:34 pm
Posts: 757
Location: Southeastern PA
I'm having trouble putting into words what F&LILV means to me.
I agree with Liz that I was amazed at the effect it had on me and how it affected my life.
QueenofKings is fortunate that she discovered it early and has carried it with her. I came to it rather late, but I'm making up for lost time. Just took a young friend who hadn't read it to Border's Friday night and "strongly encouraged" him to buy it and read it!!

I guess the only way to describe it (and all of Hunter's writing) is that the words "crept up my spine like the slow rising..."
Well, you get the picture. Hunter's writing jumps off the page, grabs me by the throat and says "Pay Attention!" I'm trying, I'm trying.

I was right to begin with. I have trouble putting into words what F&LILV means to me.
bluebird



_________________________________________________________
The edge … there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. HST
Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:42 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:28 pm
Posts: 334
Location: Wales, UK
Well this book's always meant a lot to me since I first came across it courtesy of Rolling Stone many many years ago, and like all good books you find something new in it every time you pick it up. But I have to say that this discussion has opened up so many new ideas and aspects of the book that I hadn't really picked up on, especially the American perspective, that I'm gonna have to read it all over again and I almost feel like it's a totally new book.

The ONBC totally rocks! :bounce: Talk about added value - this book club should be given away in bookstores with every purchase. Somehow reading a book without sharing it with you guys is just never the same :cool:

And it's great to have more young people joining us, and getting into Hunter. So nice to see people who have struggled with English Literature (and that includes me in the past) discovering just how much FUN it can be to read and discuss books in depth.

Oh and keep a seat for me on that plane. I'm packing right now - the drugs won't be a problem but the tape-recorder and the Red Shark might take a while to get hold of ;-)



_________________________________________________________
'Well, it's a little difficult for me to tell right now because I'm kind of having a bad day'
Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:04 pm 
JDZ Web Designer
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 01, 2005 1:21 am
Posts: 20142
Location: Houston, Texas
I wish I could say that F&LILV had a profound impact on me, but at this point in my life I don’t believe that it did.

I came into this month’s discussion expecting to hate this book, and was pleasantly surprised to learn that I thoroughly enjoyed Hunter’s writing style, even though I was very uncomfortable with the subject matter. Even though after a month of discussions I still don’t understand the influence that it has on so many people, I have so enjoyed the dialogues between the ONBCers. In that sense, I guess I was influenced, enlightened and impacted…but by the women here discussing the book more than the book itself.

Having said that, I do believe that everything that I read will have some sort of influence on me at some point in my life -- now or later. Maybe this just wasn’t the time for me. But one thing for sure, F&LILV isn’t a book that will be easily forgotten, so who knows where it will pop up in my future...


Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:06 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:47 am
Posts: 1504
Location: This is Bat Country!
Sands wrote:
The ONBC totally rocks! :bounce: Talk about added value - this book club should be given away in bookstores with every purchase. Somehow reading a book without sharing it with you guys is just never the same :cool:

And it's great to have more young people joining us, and getting into Hunter. So nice to see people who have struggled with English Literature (and that includes me in the past) discovering just how much FUN it can be to read and discuss books in depth.

Oh and keep a seat for me on that plane. I'm packing right now - the drugs won't be a problem but the tape-recorder and the Red Shark might take a while to get hold of ;-)


sorry to not have anything really cool to add, so I am going to say

what she said!!

I will bring a few bats and a flyswatter, we will need to keep them in line. :-O

I love this place
:cloud9:
Raven



_________________________________________________________
"In my experience, those who do not like you fall into two categories: the stupid
and the envious."
John Wilmot, the 2nd Earl of Rochester in The Libertine by Stephen Jeffreys
Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:13 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:43 pm
Posts: 10376
Location: Austin
Sands, I agree. ONBC does rock and you all make it happen!

Quote:
theresa wrote: Having said that, I do believe that everything that I read will have some sort of influence on me at some point in my life -- now or later. Maybe this just wasn’t the time for me. But one thing for sure, F&LILV isn’t a book that will be easily forgotten, so who knows where it will pop up in my future...


Theresa, kudos to you for exploring the world of F&LILV and sticking with us. One of these days when you least expect it there it will be... some influence sneaking up on you… :grin:

Quote:
Raven wrote: I will bring a few bats and a flyswatter, we will need to keep them in line. :-O

I love this place :cloud9:


Good catch, Raven! We almost left without the bats and flyswatters!!! :dunce:



_________________________________________________________
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!
Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:18 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:05 am
Posts: 2508
Location: Villa Incognito
Reading FALILV made me hope that I had “the right kind of eyes,” so I could see the high water mark too.

It infected me with enough wildness to make me want to do something… incredibly… stupid.

Last but not least… I’m glad we were the fools who rode this strange torpedo all the way out to the end... together.



_________________________________________________________
"You can't broom out your head. You certainly can't broom out your heart. And there's a hot wire between them, and everything shows in the eyes."
—Johnny Depp
Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:26 pm 
JDZ Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Posts: 12396
Location: The Left Coast
Veronica wrote:
Liz wrote:
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
Quote:
KYwoman wrote: Any time you say DITHOTgonzo!! But if we are to go now, we better head south to the Bahamas where he is filming to make sure we can 'accidently' bump into him, books in hand!


KY and sar, I’ve alerted the ONBC pilot. I’m packing my sunscreen… first stop the Bahamas! Veronica, jump on board. We’ll wake KY when we get there… :disco:


Here I am, reporting for duty. I think I should forewarn you, though, that this pilot if afraid of flying. :freaked:


Im sure we can find something in the "suitcase" that will calm you! ;-)


Hello.....I'm the pilot. Get in.... :grin: :freaked:

Image



_________________________________________________________
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:34 pm 
JDZ Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Posts: 12396
Location: The Left Coast
There's so many things I want to say to you guys that I don't know where to start, so I guess I'll go with the dog who's whining for her dinner right now. Back in a few.



_________________________________________________________
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:51 pm 
JDZ Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Posts: 12396
Location: The Left Coast
Actually, there are no words. Each and every one of you has had so much to add to this discussion in your own individual way. You guys :rocknroll:



_________________________________________________________
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 Page 2 of 4 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


phpBB skin developed by: John Olson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group