It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: F&LILV Question #26 ~ Hope
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:27 am 

In the extra feature on Breakfast With Hunter – Hunter Goes to Hollywood – HST remarks that the film (therefore the story) was about “hope in a bad time.” Johnny says in the Cannes interview, “Fear and Loathing is about hope, it’s about insanity, about trying to find something out there to believe in.”

Do you see the theme of hope in the story?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:37 am 

I do now that we have dived into this book and searched for the deeper meaning of it all. To hear the thoughts & feelings that each person finds. This was a great book to discuss DITHOT & LIZ! I feel Hunter would love what everyone has said so far.

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:06 pm 

Veronica wrote:
I do now that we have dived into this book and searched for the deeper meaning of it all. To hear the thoughts & feelings that each person finds. This was a great book to discuss DITHOT & LIZ! I feel Hunter would love what everyone has said so far.

So where do you see the hope, V? I'm interested in everyone's take on Hunter's and Johnny's statements in this regard. :eyebrow:

(Just to let you know we will be asking you about your changing perspective on the book very soon....)

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:20 pm 
JDZ Moderator

After thinking about our discussion thus far, I would have to say the answer is no. HOWEVER, that's not my answer yet. Again, I think that's too simple. I'm off to search for the hidden meaning.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:22 pm 

Oh boy, these questions come so thick and fast :freaked: . My head's still swimming with the last few!

Anyway, off the top of my head, my first thought is that the very act of 'looking for the American Dream' in a place which at first sight seems the most unlikely place to find it is hopeful in itself.

Also you could say that the mere fact that they do all that stuff and actually survive to tell the tale is pretty hopeful :lol:

Hmmm, I'll give this one some more thought and maybe come back later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:11 pm 

This is another toughie, DITHOT. I see the Horatio Alger thread throughout the book as a theme of hope. He mentions it several other times, but I just spotted the instance at the end of Part 1, after he's had his drug-addled telephone conversation with Gonzo (...All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet...Never cross the Great Magnet.) He feels relief at having it all planned out for him and envisions what he's going to do: "Do it right; remember Horatio Alger. . . "

And then again at the very end of the book: "...and by the time I got to the bar my heart was full of joy. I felt like a monster reincarnation of Horatio Alger. . .a Man on the Move, and just sick enough to be totally confident."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:02 pm 

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
Veronica wrote:

So where do you see the hope, V? I'm interested in everyone's take on Hunter's and Johnny's statements in this regard. :eyebrow:

(Just to let you know we will be asking you about your changing perspective on the book very soon....)

The Wave Speech gives me a sense of Hope. When I read that even though I didnt experience that time you feel free. Thankful that we live in a country that have the freedoms that we do. That there are people fighting for and with us. When you see the people come together to help bring a city back on its feet, to care for those that lost their homes. Its all war being fought no matter what it is.

I like this part
Quote:
Maybe it meant something. Maybe not in the long run ... but no explanation, no mix of words or music or memories can touch that sense of knowing that you were there and alive in that corner of time and the world. Whatever it meant . . .

When I read that I want to get out & be involved in something. Something that isnt for me, doesnt gain me anything, Just helps someone else. Be apart of something real in this life instead of the mundane routine of life we all get stuck in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:36 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Veronica wrote:
When I read that I want to get out & be involved in something. Something that isnt for me, doesnt gain me anything, Just helps someone else. Be apart of something real in this life instead of the mundane routine of life we all get stuck in.

I agree, V. It does that for me too.

And your siggie always seems to be related to your answers, V. :-O It gives me the chills:

"Everything is always okay in the end,
if it's not, then it's not the end."

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:24 pm 

Liz wrote:
Veronica wrote:

I agree, V. It does that for me too.

And your siggie always seems to be related to your answers, V. :-O It gives me the chills:

"Everything is always okay in the end,
if it's not, then it's not the end."

Thanks for pointing that out Liz I think I needed to read that for myself. Life hasnt been a bowl of cherrys lately! :-/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:21 pm 

Quote:
sands wrote: Oh boy, these questions come so thick and fast . My head's still swimming with the last few!

We did sort of save up the big stuff for the end so we had plenty of time to get the heart of the matter. So these should be easy by now! :lol:

Taken in the political context ("this doomstruck era of Nixon"), I suppose Duke felt the American Dream was dead so off they went looking to see if it was still alive anywhere and figured Las Vegas was such a truly American place, that if it was alive somewhere that was a good place to try and find it. I suppose what they found was the perversion of what had been the American Dream or perhaps not at all, in the ashes of the burned Psychiatrist's Club. It could have been about the hope that you could still go out on a major bender which they definitely proved possible!

And I am with you, V. The wave speech is a powerful beacon of hope!

Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:40 pm 

Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson
Boy, I think you really have to get past a lot to see the hope message in this book. For me, it was about seeing a hopeful/positive future INSPITE of how things were turning out. Inspite of the drug culture, the war, the politics, the wasteland of Vegas there are still things out there worth living for, worth fighting for, worth hoping for (the American Dream of equal opportunity for all). We as a people/culture can survive even the most ugly, turbulent times and still feel that everything will be alright......"sick enough to be totally confident".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:48 pm 

KYwoman wrote:
Boy, I think you really have to get past a lot to see the hope message in this book. For me, it was about seeing a hopeful/positive future INSPITE of how things were turning out. Inspite of the drug culture, the war, the politics, the wasteland of Vegas there are still things out there worth living for, worth fighting for, worth hoping for (the American Dream of equal opportunity for all). We as a people/culture can survive even the most ugly, turbulent times and still feel that everything will be alright......"sick enough to be totally confident".

hope springs eternal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:53 pm 

Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson
Raven wrote:
KYwoman wrote:

hope springs eternal?

:cool: It does for me (and maybe for Duke and Gonzo).....most days! :eyebrow:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:54 pm 
JDZ Moderator

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
I suppose what they found was the perversion of what had been the American Dream or perhaps not at all, in the ashes of the burned Psychiatrist's Club. It could have been about the hope that you could still go out on a major bender which they definitely proved possible!

And I am with you, V. The wave speech is a powerful beacon of hope!

There's a lot of symbolism in your words there, DITHOT! :-O

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:55 pm 
JDZ Moderator

KYwoman wrote:
Raven wrote:
KYwoman wrote:

hope springs eternal?

:cool: It does for me (and maybe for Duke and Gonzo).....most days! :eyebrow:

I'm with you.

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2, 3  Next