F&LILV Question #26 ~ Hope

by Hunter S. Thompson

Moderator: Liz

User avatar
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas
Posts: 10378
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:43 pm
Location: Austin

Status: Offline

F&LILV Question #26 ~ Hope

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:27 am

In the extra feature on Breakfast With Hunter – Hunter Goes to Hollywood – HST remarks that the film (therefore the story) was about “hope in a bad time.” Johnny says in the Cannes interview, “Fear and Loathing is about hope, it’s about insanity, about trying to find something out there to believe in.”

Do you see the theme of hope in the story?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

User avatar
Veronica
Posts: 5944
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:42 am
Location: Ohio

Status: Offline

Unread postby Veronica » Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:37 am

I do now that we have dived into this book and searched for the deeper meaning of it all. To hear the thoughts & feelings that each person finds. This was a great book to discuss DITHOT & LIZ! I feel Hunter would love what everyone has said so far.
Everything is always okay in the end,
if it's not, then it's not the end.

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

User avatar
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas
Posts: 10378
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:43 pm
Location: Austin

Status: Offline

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:06 pm

Veronica wrote:I do now that we have dived into this book and searched for the deeper meaning of it all. To hear the thoughts & feelings that each person finds. This was a great book to discuss DITHOT & LIZ! I feel Hunter would love what everyone has said so far.


So where do you see the hope, V? I'm interested in everyone's take on Hunter's and Johnny's statements in this regard. :eyebrow:

(Just to let you know we will be asking you about your changing perspective on the book very soon....)
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12926
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Unread postby Liz » Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:20 pm

After thinking about our discussion thus far, I would have to say the answer is no. HOWEVER, that's not my answer yet. Again, I think that's too simple. I'm off to search for the hidden meaning.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

User avatar
Sands
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:28 pm
Location: Wales, UK

Status: Offline

Unread postby Sands » Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:22 pm

Oh boy, these questions come so thick and fast :freaked: . My head's still swimming with the last few!

Anyway, off the top of my head, my first thought is that the very act of 'looking for the American Dream' in a place which at first sight seems the most unlikely place to find it is hopeful in itself.

Also you could say that the mere fact that they do all that stuff and actually survive to tell the tale is pretty hopeful :lol:

Hmmm, I'll give this one some more thought and maybe come back later.
'Well, it's a little difficult for me to tell right now because I'm kind of having a bad day'

User avatar
Bix
Posts: 687
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:14 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Status: Offline

Unread postby Bix » Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:11 pm

This is another toughie, DITHOT. I see the Horatio Alger thread throughout the book as a theme of hope. He mentions it several other times, but I just spotted the instance at the end of Part 1, after he's had his drug-addled telephone conversation with Gonzo (...All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet...Never cross the Great Magnet.) He feels relief at having it all planned out for him and envisions what he's going to do: "Do it right; remember Horatio Alger. . . "

And then again at the very end of the book: "...and by the time I got to the bar my heart was full of joy. I felt like a monster reincarnation of Horatio Alger. . .a Man on the Move, and just sick enough to be totally confident."
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

User avatar
Veronica
Posts: 5944
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:42 am
Location: Ohio

Status: Offline

Unread postby Veronica » Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:02 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
Veronica wrote:I do now that we have dived into this book and searched for the deeper meaning of it all. To hear the thoughts & feelings that each person finds. This was a great book to discuss DITHOT & LIZ! I feel Hunter would love what everyone has said so far.


So where do you see the hope, V? I'm interested in everyone's take on Hunter's and Johnny's statements in this regard. :eyebrow:

(Just to let you know we will be asking you about your changing perspective on the book very soon....)


The Wave Speech gives me a sense of Hope. When I read that even though I didnt experience that time you feel free. Thankful that we live in a country that have the freedoms that we do. That there are people fighting for and with us. When you see the people come together to help bring a city back on its feet, to care for those that lost their homes. Its all war being fought no matter what it is.

I like this part
Maybe it meant something. Maybe not in the long run ... but no explanation, no mix of words or music or memories can touch that sense of knowing that you were there and alive in that corner of time and the world. Whatever it meant . . .


When I read that I want to get out & be involved in something. Something that isnt for me, doesnt gain me anything, Just helps someone else. Be apart of something real in this life instead of the mundane routine of life we all get stuck in.
Everything is always okay in the end,

if it's not, then it's not the end.



Today is a gift....Have Fun!

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12926
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Unread postby Liz » Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:36 pm

Veronica wrote: When I read that I want to get out & be involved in something. Something that isnt for me, doesnt gain me anything, Just helps someone else. Be apart of something real in this life instead of the mundane routine of life we all get stuck in.


I agree, V. It does that for me too.

And your siggie always seems to be related to your answers, V. :-O It gives me the chills:


"Everything is always okay in the end,
if it's not, then it's not the end."
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

User avatar
Veronica
Posts: 5944
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:42 am
Location: Ohio

Status: Offline

Unread postby Veronica » Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:24 pm

Liz wrote:
Veronica wrote: When I read that I want to get out & be involved in something. Something that isnt for me, doesnt gain me anything, Just helps someone else. Be apart of something real in this life instead of the mundane routine of life we all get stuck in.


I agree, V. It does that for me too.

And your siggie always seems to be related to your answers, V. :-O It gives me the chills:


"Everything is always okay in the end,
if it's not, then it's not the end."


Thanks for pointing that out Liz I think I needed to read that for myself. Life hasnt been a bowl of cherrys lately! :-/
Everything is always okay in the end,

if it's not, then it's not the end.



Today is a gift....Have Fun!

User avatar
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas
Posts: 10378
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:43 pm
Location: Austin

Status: Offline

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:21 pm

sands wrote: Oh boy, these questions come so thick and fast . My head's still swimming with the last few!


We did sort of save up the big stuff for the end so we had plenty of time to get the heart of the matter. So these should be easy by now! :lol:

Taken in the political context ("this doomstruck era of Nixon"), I suppose Duke felt the American Dream was dead so off they went looking to see if it was still alive anywhere and figured Las Vegas was such a truly American place, that if it was alive somewhere that was a good place to try and find it. I suppose what they found was the perversion of what had been the American Dream or perhaps not at all, in the ashes of the burned Psychiatrist's Club. It could have been about the hope that you could still go out on a major bender which they definitely proved possible!

And I am with you, V. The wave speech is a powerful beacon of hope!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

User avatar
KYwoman
Posts: 5958
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:26 pm
Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson

Status: Offline

Unread postby KYwoman » Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:40 pm

Boy, I think you really have to get past a lot to see the hope message in this book. For me, it was about seeing a hopeful/positive future INSPITE of how things were turning out. Inspite of the drug culture, the war, the politics, the wasteland of Vegas there are still things out there worth living for, worth fighting for, worth hoping for (the American Dream of equal opportunity for all). We as a people/culture can survive even the most ugly, turbulent times and still feel that everything will be alright......"sick enough to be totally confident".
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." :motorcycle:

User avatar
Raven
Posts: 1504
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:47 am
Location: This is Bat Country!
Contact:

Status: Offline

Unread postby Raven » Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:48 pm

KYwoman wrote:Boy, I think you really have to get past a lot to see the hope message in this book. For me, it was about seeing a hopeful/positive future INSPITE of how things were turning out. Inspite of the drug culture, the war, the politics, the wasteland of Vegas there are still things out there worth living for, worth fighting for, worth hoping for (the American Dream of equal opportunity for all). We as a people/culture can survive even the most ugly, turbulent times and still feel that everything will be alright......"sick enough to be totally confident".


hope springs eternal?
"In my experience, those who do not like you fall into two categories: the stupid
and the envious."
John Wilmot, the 2nd Earl of Rochester in The Libertine by Stephen Jeffreys

User avatar
KYwoman
Posts: 5958
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:26 pm
Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson

Status: Offline

Unread postby KYwoman » Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:53 pm

Raven wrote:
KYwoman wrote:Boy, I think you really have to get past a lot to see the hope message in this book. For me, it was about seeing a hopeful/positive future INSPITE of how things were turning out. Inspite of the drug culture, the war, the politics, the wasteland of Vegas there are still things out there worth living for, worth fighting for, worth hoping for (the American Dream of equal opportunity for all). We as a people/culture can survive even the most ugly, turbulent times and still feel that everything will be alright......"sick enough to be totally confident".


hope springs eternal?


:cool: It does for me (and maybe for Duke and Gonzo).....most days! :eyebrow:
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." :motorcycle:

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12926
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Unread postby Liz » Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:54 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote: I suppose what they found was the perversion of what had been the American Dream or perhaps not at all, in the ashes of the burned Psychiatrist's Club. It could have been about the hope that you could still go out on a major bender which they definitely proved possible!

And I am with you, V. The wave speech is a powerful beacon of hope!


There's a lot of symbolism in your words there, DITHOT! :-O
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12926
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Unread postby Liz » Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:55 pm

KYwoman wrote:
Raven wrote:
KYwoman wrote:Boy, I think you really have to get past a lot to see the hope message in this book. For me, it was about seeing a hopeful/positive future INSPITE of how things were turning out. Inspite of the drug culture, the war, the politics, the wasteland of Vegas there are still things out there worth living for, worth fighting for, worth hoping for (the American Dream of equal opportunity for all). We as a people/culture can survive even the most ugly, turbulent times and still feel that everything will be alright......"sick enough to be totally confident".


hope springs eternal?


:cool: It does for me (and maybe for Duke and Gonzo).....most days! :eyebrow:


I'm with you.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.


Return to “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests