It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next
 Post subject: F&LILV Question #19 - He had the Music
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:18 am 
JDZ Moderator

From the CSPAN Tribute to HST. Frank Mankiewicz: (In reference to Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail) "I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, that book is the most accurate and the least factual of that campaign. We like to put people down now and then who are too serious. We say, well they’ve got the words but they don’t have the music. Hunter Thompson had the music and not often the words." Comment on how these words pertain to F&LILV.

NOTE: Tomorrow’s question will be posted later in the day due to Liz and DITHOT’s Sunday schedule (probably around 1 p.m. PST)

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:53 am 

Hunter always cut to the chase...he didn't mince words..he smacked you in the face with them..and more often than not, you had to agree with him. I guess it was musical in a way, as alot of what he had to say, you'd like to hear spoken aloud and over and over so that it's meaning could sink in...much like you listen to a favorite song over and over. Plus, his commentary made you laugh out loud, unlike most of the dry stuff we read in our morning papers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:05 am 
JDZ Moderator

Charlene wrote:
I guess it was musical in a way, as alot of what he had to say, you'd like to hear spoken aloud and over and over so that it's meaning could sink in...much like you listen to a favorite song over and over. Plus, his commentary made you laugh out loud, unlike most of the dry stuff we read in our morning papers.

I love to hear his words read or spoken outloud (i.e. The Wave and various other one-liners). I never tire of some of them.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:18 am 

Liz wrote:
Quote:
I love to hear his words read or spoken outloud (i.e. The Wave and various other one-liners). I never tire of some of them.

I agree.
As to the question, My first impulse is to say that Hunter has both the music AND the words. They may not have been the words some people wanted to hear and perhaps the music wasn't their style, but Hunter never held back. He wrote what he thought.

And, I must admit the phrase "most accurate and the least factual" in reference to his writing about the campaign, delights me everytime I read it! It is so Hunter.

Looking forward to hearing others thoughts on the question.
bluebird

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:26 am 

I'm not sure I get what he is saying here. I thought Hunter had both! I'll have to read what you all think later tonight and then maybe I'll see what he is trying to get at. :eyebrow:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:29 am 
JDZ Moderator

bluebird wrote:
As to the question, My first impulse is to say that Hunter has both the music AND the words. They may not have been the words some people wanted to hear and perhaps the music wasn't their style, but Hunter never held back. He wrote what he thought.

I think he had both, too, personally. And I think that maybe his musical way of making a statement made it more appealing to some to read about. Because so much of it was hilarious more people could handle the truth he was trying to impart, even if they disagreed with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:54 pm 

I though of Mankiewicz comment was an interpretation of the whole right brain/left brain theory. Words are cerebral making them a left brained: logical, rational, and analytical. Music is visceral and emotional making it right brained: intuitive, subjective and impulsive. We feel music and process words. I think what he was saying is that the reading Hunter gives an authentic experience of “being there” even if details and facts don’t always hold up to scrutiny. Funny… I don’t actually agree with his opinion, but I think that’s what he was trying to say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:45 pm 

Oh, I have the perfect chance to post one of my favorite Hunter quotes! It's quite fitting. Eerily so, almost...

Quote:
“I heard the music, and I wrote to it. Some people beat drums. Some people strum guitars. It’s all in the music you hear.”
-Hunter S. Thompson

Wow! I agree with you all - he had the music and the words. I wish I had more time to spend in here but I'm off to work. I'll look forward to reading more responses tomorrow. :cloud9:

"A man must funtion in a pattern of his own choosing. For to let another man define your own goals is to give up one of the most meaningful aspects of life - The definitive act of will, which makes a man an individual. "
- Hunter S. Thompson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:00 am 

abigail wrote:
Quote:
Oh, I have the perfect chance to post one of my favorite Hunter quotes! It's quite fitting. Eerily so, almost...

Quote:
“I heard the music, and I wrote to it. Some people beat drums. Some people strum guitars. It’s all in the music you hear.”
-Hunter S. Thompson

Wow! I agree with you all - he had the music and the words.

Yes!! Abigail, I remembered that quote when I was coming home tonight and wondered if I could find it. Thank you!!

I don't know what Mankiewicz was trying to say or why, but I think Hunter felt the music AND felt the words, too.
bluebird

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:45 am 

Does he mean that Hunter had the heart,the soul and the truths but couldn't always express that in words?If that is what he meant,I guess he has a point..because it is hard to encapsulate all that into words..but he came pretty darned close :cool:

I have faith in you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:13 pm 

Liz wrote:
Charlene wrote:
I guess it was musical in a way, as alot of what he had to say, you'd like to hear spoken aloud and over and over so that it's meaning could sink in...much like you listen to a favorite song over and over. Plus, his commentary made you laugh out loud, unlike most of the dry stuff we read in our morning papers.

I agree with you, Charlene, you had to agree with him. I got that musical impression from him when I read one of his articles, that were more recent, when he was commenting on the Bush Administration. I felt like, you understood what he was saying at once, even though maybe you didn't agree or did agree with what he was saying, in this example, about Bush. I guess in a world where you listen to people who have words and no music, its refreshing when someone has music and no words.

Quick question, where is the Wave Speech, in the book? I read the whole book, but I can't seem to remember where it was said in the book....can someone possibly post the page number if you could? Thanks so much in advance.

Hannah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:28 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Hannah, The Wave Speech is on page 66.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:54 pm 

Sweet, thanks Liz. :cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:11 am 

Quote:
"I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, that book is the most accurate and the least factual of that campaign. We like to put people down now and then who are too serious. We say, well they’ve got the words but they don’t have the music. Hunter Thompson had the music and not often the words."

There are two parts to this quote.

Most accurate and least facutal / the music and not often the words

I think he was referring to the difference between the veracity of the words Hunter used to describe what he experienced as opposed to the his ability to is convey completely the
feel of the experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:17 pm 
JDZ Moderator

JD101 wrote:
Quote:
"I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, that book is the most accurate and the least factual of that campaign. We like to put people down now and then who are too serious. We say, well they’ve got the words but they don’t have the music. Hunter Thompson had the music and not often the words."

There are two parts to this quote.

Most accurate and least facutal / the music and not often the words

I think he was referring to the difference between the veracity of the words Hunter used to describe what he experienced as opposed to the his ability to is convey completely the
feel of the experience.

I agree with that, JD101. Music is something you feel--at least for me. And I can definitely feel Hunter's words--sometimes too strongly. :lol:

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next