It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




 Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:37 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:05 am
Posts: 2508
Location: Villa Incognito
Still-Rather-Timid wrote:
Hunter's most recent political columns all made Johnny's dumb puppy remark look like the Pledge of Allegiance

I’ve always loved the “dumb puppy” metaphor… as it was intended, of course. As a country we do have the immature swagger of a puppy who hasn’t learning the strength of his bit or the sharpness of his teeth. I also loved it when Bill Maher defended Johnny by saying “dumb puppy is actually closer to the truth.” Appropriate for the discussion but off-point for the question. Sorry I couldn’t resist.



_________________________________________________________
"You can't broom out your head. You certainly can't broom out your heart. And there's a hot wire between them, and everything shows in the eyes."
—Johnny Depp
Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:57 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:00 pm
Posts: 2422
Location: Northern Kentucky ~ Cincinnati
Still-Rather-Timid wrote:
Hi ONBCers! I am very tired tonight, but I have really appreciated reading all the interesting and apt Twain and Hunter quotes many of you have found. Since I can't think of anything to add, I thought instead I'd hunt up a delectable Hunter quote full of lightning words to show my appreciation, but the ones I found from Hunter's most recent political columns all made Johnny's dumb puppy remark look like the Pledge of Allegiance, so instead I leave you with one of Hunter's columns from ESPN, which has nothing to do with Twain, but struck lightning with me because it contains a reference to Col Depp!

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?
page=thompson/040413



I am laughing outloud! God, I love his writing.... Thank you for that SRT.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:35 am 
JDZ Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Posts: 12417
Location: The Left Coast
dharma_bum wrote:
Still-Rather-Timid wrote:
Hunter's most recent political columns all made Johnny's dumb puppy remark look like the Pledge of Allegiance

I’ve always loved the “dumb puppy” metaphor… as it was intended, of course. As a country we do have the immature swagger of a puppy who hasn’t learning the strength of his bit or the sharpness of his teeth. I also loved it when Bill Maher defended Johnny by saying “dumb puppy is actually closer to the truth.” Appropriate for the discussion but off-point for the question. Sorry I couldn’t resist.


Don't get me started on the Dumb Puppy. I never felt the anology was harsh enough. After all, it was a little insulting to my dog. But I will forgive JD because I can see where he was coming from and his intent and supported him 100%. And I'd better stop before I get in a heap of trouble. :freaked: Hunter just tends to bring out my political side. :capnjack:

SRT, thanks for sharing the article. I had a good laugh. It was very reminiscent of F&L, actually.



_________________________________________________________
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:14 am 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:52 am
Posts: 1839
Location: California
CarrieKY wrote:
Still-Rather-Timid wrote:
Hi ONBCers! I am very tired tonight, but I have really appreciated reading all the interesting and apt Twain and Hunter quotes many of you have found. Since I can't think of anything to add, I thought instead I'd hunt up a delectable Hunter quote full of lightning words to show my appreciation, but the ones I found from Hunter's most recent political columns all made Johnny's dumb puppy remark look like the Pledge of Allegiance, so instead I leave you with one of Hunter's columns from ESPN, which has nothing to do with Twain, but struck lightning with me because it contains a reference to Col Depp!

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?
page=thompson/040413



I am laughing outloud! God, I love his writing.... Thank you for that SRT.

I believe this is included in the book Hey Rube that was published last year. It contains alot of his ESPN columns. I remember this one because as I was reading through the book, I was on the lookout for Col. Depp references. :blush: Thanks for posting it SRT.



_________________________________________________________
"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~
Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:05 pm 

Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:07 pm
Posts: 1304
Liz wrote:
dharma_bum wrote:
Still-Rather-Timid wrote:
Hunter's most recent political columns all made Johnny's dumb puppy remark look like the Pledge of Allegiance

I’ve always loved the “dumb puppy” metaphor… as it was intended, of course. As a country we do have the immature swagger of a puppy who hasn’t learning the strength of his bit or the sharpness of his teeth. I also loved it when Bill Maher defended Johnny by saying “dumb puppy is actually closer to the truth.” Appropriate for the discussion but off-point for the question. Sorry I couldn’t resist.


Don't get me started on the Dumb Puppy. I never felt the anology was harsh enough. After all, it was a little insulting to my dog. But I will forgive JD because I can see where he was coming from and his intent and supported him 100%. And I'd better stop before I get in a heap of trouble. :freaked: Hunter just tends to bring out my political side. :capnjack:

SRT, thanks for sharing the article. I had a good laugh. It was very reminiscent of F&L, actually.


Liz, if you want an even better laugh, read Hunter's "Fear and Loathing 2004" column from Rolling Stone. It will make you laugh until you cry and cry until you laugh. Just type a few of the words above into google. I'll stop there, to avoid trouble.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:12 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:28 pm
Posts: 334
Location: Wales, UK
Reading about the 'Good people' phrase suddenly reminded me of Captain Jack's comment about Will's father being 'a pirate -and a good man'. At the time it seems like an impossible paradox to Will, but at the end of the film he understands and uses it himself. More connections :-)



_________________________________________________________
'Well, it's a little difficult for me to tell right now because I'm kind of having a bad day'
Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:13 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:47 am
Posts: 1504
Location: This is Bat Country!
Thanks SRT!! I sent that gem on to some freinds.

Raven



_________________________________________________________
"In my experience, those who do not like you fall into two categories: the stupid
and the envious."
John Wilmot, the 2nd Earl of Rochester in The Libertine by Stephen Jeffreys
Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:37 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:27 pm
Posts: 910
Still-Rather-Timid wrote:
Liz, if you want an even better laugh, read Hunter's "Fear and Loathing 2004" column from Rolling Stone. It will make you laugh until you cry and cry until you laugh. Just type a few of the words above into google. I'll stop there, to avoid trouble.

That's a fantastic article S-R-T. I printed it out last year and gave copies to my English professor, my mom, friends, basically anyone who would take the time to read it. :lol: It's hysterical.



_________________________________________________________
"A man must funtion in a pattern of his own choosing. For to let another man define your own goals is to give up one of the most meaningful aspects of life - The definitive act of will, which makes a man an individual. "
- Hunter S. Thompson
Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:42 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:42 am
Posts: 5942
Location: Ohio
Im not sure the link is working right now, Im in ESPN 2 now which article is it? wahts the name or date that he talks about Johnny. :bawl:

Is this the other article that you were talking about? :banghead: http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/_/id/6562575 :blush:



_________________________________________________________
Everything is always okay in the end,
if it's not, then it's not the end.

Today is a gift....Have Fun!
Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:46 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:52 am
Posts: 1839
Location: California
Veronica wrote:
Im not sure the link is working right now, Im in ESPN 2 now which article is it? wahts the name or date that he talks about Johnny. :bawl:

Hi Veronica! I was just looking at that site again and it's the article dated April 13, 2004.



_________________________________________________________
"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~
Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:48 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:42 am
Posts: 5942
Location: Ohio
luvdepp wrote:
Veronica wrote:
Im not sure the link is working right now, Im in ESPN 2 now which article is it? wahts the name or date that he talks about Johnny. :bawl:

Hi Veronica! I was just looking at that site again and it's the article dated April 13, 2004.


:bounce: TYTY I thought I was going to have to go out and drag someone in here to help me! lolol :highfive:



_________________________________________________________
Everything is always okay in the end,
if it's not, then it's not the end.

Today is a gift....Have Fun!
Offline
 Profile  
 
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


phpBB skin developed by: John Olson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group