It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:37 pm 

Still-Rather-Timid wrote:
Hunter's most recent political columns all made Johnny's dumb puppy remark look like the Pledge of Allegiance

I’ve always loved the “dumb puppy” metaphor… as it was intended, of course. As a country we do have the immature swagger of a puppy who hasn’t learning the strength of his bit or the sharpness of his teeth. I also loved it when Bill Maher defended Johnny by saying “dumb puppy is actually closer to the truth.” Appropriate for the discussion but off-point for the question. Sorry I couldn’t resist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:57 pm 

Hi ONBCers! I am very tired tonight, but I have really appreciated reading all the interesting and apt Twain and Hunter quotes many of you have found. Since I can't think of anything to add, I thought instead I'd hunt up a delectable Hunter quote full of lightning words to show my appreciation, but the ones I found from Hunter's most recent political columns all made Johnny's dumb puppy remark look like the Pledge of Allegiance, so instead I leave you with one of Hunter's columns from ESPN, which has nothing to do with Twain, but struck lightning with me because it contains a reference to Col Depp!

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?
page=thompson/040413

I am laughing outloud! God, I love his writing.... Thank you for that SRT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:35 am 
JDZ Moderator

dharma_bum wrote:
Hunter's most recent political columns all made Johnny's dumb puppy remark look like the Pledge of Allegiance

I’ve always loved the “dumb puppy” metaphor… as it was intended, of course. As a country we do have the immature swagger of a puppy who hasn’t learning the strength of his bit or the sharpness of his teeth. I also loved it when Bill Maher defended Johnny by saying “dumb puppy is actually closer to the truth.” Appropriate for the discussion but off-point for the question. Sorry I couldn’t resist.

Don't get me started on the Dumb Puppy. I never felt the anology was harsh enough. After all, it was a little insulting to my dog. But I will forgive JD because I can see where he was coming from and his intent and supported him 100%. And I'd better stop before I get in a heap of trouble. :freaked: Hunter just tends to bring out my political side. :capnjack:

SRT, thanks for sharing the article. I had a good laugh. It was very reminiscent of F&L, actually.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:14 am 

CarrieKY wrote:
Hi ONBCers! I am very tired tonight, but I have really appreciated reading all the interesting and apt Twain and Hunter quotes many of you have found. Since I can't think of anything to add, I thought instead I'd hunt up a delectable Hunter quote full of lightning words to show my appreciation, but the ones I found from Hunter's most recent political columns all made Johnny's dumb puppy remark look like the Pledge of Allegiance, so instead I leave you with one of Hunter's columns from ESPN, which has nothing to do with Twain, but struck lightning with me because it contains a reference to Col Depp!

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?
page=thompson/040413

I am laughing outloud! God, I love his writing.... Thank you for that SRT.

I believe this is included in the book Hey Rube that was published last year. It contains alot of his ESPN columns. I remember this one because as I was reading through the book, I was on the lookout for Col. Depp references. :blush: Thanks for posting it SRT.

"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:05 pm 

Liz wrote:
dharma_bum wrote:

Don't get me started on the Dumb Puppy. I never felt the anology was harsh enough. After all, it was a little insulting to my dog. But I will forgive JD because I can see where he was coming from and his intent and supported him 100%. And I'd better stop before I get in a heap of trouble. :freaked: Hunter just tends to bring out my political side. :capnjack:

SRT, thanks for sharing the article. I had a good laugh. It was very reminiscent of F&L, actually.

Liz, if you want an even better laugh, read Hunter's "Fear and Loathing 2004" column from Rolling Stone. It will make you laugh until you cry and cry until you laugh. Just type a few of the words above into google. I'll stop there, to avoid trouble.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:12 pm 

Reading about the 'Good people' phrase suddenly reminded me of Captain Jack's comment about Will's father being 'a pirate -and a good man'. At the time it seems like an impossible paradox to Will, but at the end of the film he understands and uses it himself. More connections :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:13 pm 

Thanks SRT!! I sent that gem on to some freinds.

Raven

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:37 pm 

Liz, if you want an even better laugh, read Hunter's "Fear and Loathing 2004" column from Rolling Stone. It will make you laugh until you cry and cry until you laugh. Just type a few of the words above into google. I'll stop there, to avoid trouble.

That's a fantastic article S-R-T. I printed it out last year and gave copies to my English professor, my mom, friends, basically anyone who would take the time to read it. :lol: It's hysterical.

"A man must funtion in a pattern of his own choosing. For to let another man define your own goals is to give up one of the most meaningful aspects of life - The definitive act of will, which makes a man an individual. "
- Hunter S. Thompson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:42 pm 

Im not sure the link is working right now, Im in ESPN 2 now which article is it? wahts the name or date that he talks about Johnny. :bawl:

Is this the other article that you were talking about? :banghead: http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/_/id/6562575 :blush:

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:46 pm 

Veronica wrote:
Im not sure the link is working right now, Im in ESPN 2 now which article is it? wahts the name or date that he talks about Johnny. :bawl:

Hi Veronica! I was just looking at that site again and it's the article dated April 13, 2004.

"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:48 pm 

luvdepp wrote:
Veronica wrote:

Hi Veronica! I was just looking at that site again and it's the article dated April 13, 2004.

:bounce: TYTY I thought I was going to have to go out and drag someone in here to help me! lolol :highfive:

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3