It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 3 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:46 pm 
JDZ Moderator

abigail wrote:
Duke - "Jesus! Did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
(Actually this last part was funnier to me in the film...)

I'm not sure if you meant this line or the next one on your list. But I think Johnny delivered this line really well in the film; and it was one of the funniest to me.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:52 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Did anyone catch this one on pg. 117? This was after my favorite (not) conversation in the hallway about Lucy. But I got a kick out of this line only because it is a Twilight Zone moment.

Dr. Gonzo says: "I felt sorry for the girl, I wanted to help her!" (has anyone noticed all the italicized words in the book?)

I (Raoul Duke) smiled. "That's what Fatty Arbuckle said, and you know what they did to him."

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:56 pm 
JDZ Web Designer

Liz wrote:
Did anyone catch this one on pg. 117? This was after my favorite (not) conversation in the hallway about Lucy. But I got a kick out of this line only because it is a Twilight Zone moment.

Dr. Gonzo says: "I felt sorry for the girl, I wanted to help her!" (has anyone noticed all the italicized words in the book?)

I (Raoul Duke) smiled. "That's what Fatty Arbuckle said, and you know what they did to him."

I noticed...and that line would not have meant a thing to me before we studied I, Fatty. :cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:07 pm 
JDZ Moderator

theresa wrote:
Liz wrote:

I noticed...and that line would not have meant a thing to me before we studied I, Fatty. :cool:

I hadn't even thought of it that way.

The new additon to the pre-requisites for college course HST 101:

I,Fattyby Jerry Stahl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:10 pm 
JDZ Web Designer

Finally got a chance to go through my book for quotes. This one made me laugh.

My clothes are soaking wet from dawn to dusk. This worried me at first, but when I went to a doctor and described my normal daily intake of booze, drugs and poison he told me to come back when the sweating stopped. That would be the danger point, he said -- a sign that my body's desperately overworked flushing mechanism had broken down completely. "I have great faith in the natural processes," he said. "But in your case...well...I find no precedent. We'll just have to wait and see, then work with what's left."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:13 pm 

Theresa, I love that quote, it's soo clever!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:55 pm 

I just love Hunter! :bawl: I love reading all these quotes. I think you guys have posted all that I can think of. I could put the whole book on here because its rip roarin funny cover to cover! Heres to You HUNTER!

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:58 pm 

I wanted to tell you guys...my non Johnny friend found a card today and gave it to me because it reminded her of my signature line. I have it on my emails too. It says:

If you're not living on the edge,
You're taking up too much space.
Author unknown

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:15 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Veronica wrote:
I wanted to tell you guys...my non Johnny friend found a card today and gave it to me because it reminded her of my signature line. I have it on my emails too. It says:

If you're not living on the edge,
You're taking up too much space.
Author unknown

I like that one too. :cool: It must be a popular subject for one-liners.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:27 pm 

Liz wrote:
abigail wrote:
Duke - "Jesus! Did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
(Actually this last part was funnier to me in the film...)

I'm not sure if you meant this line or the next one on your list. But I think Johnny delivered this line really well in the film; and it was one of the funniest to me.

I agree with you both! Great choice, abigail!

...the misfit made good...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:51 pm 

lumineuse wrote:
What a day to leave my book at home!

what a day to return my copy to the library :-/ knew I should have rung up overdue fines :blush: the librarians were so good at bumping my name up the list when I told them a month ago I needed it for a book club that I really couldn't keep it past its due date - so off it goes taking yet another rider on another incredible ride :eyebrow:

didn't take notes so I don't have a favorite quote - although the most amusing lines come from the lawyer - I start giggling everytime he says ... I'm your lawyer and I'd advise you to ... I think its extra funny for me as I hear the voice from the actor in the movie and see my lawyer's mouth moving - however my lawyer is so not like Duke's lawyer :eyebrow:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:03 pm 

Bix wrote:
Great choices! I also love the one that someone has incorporated into their avatar (Sorry, I forget whose :blush: ), where he spills the LSD on his shirt and the musician starts sucking on his sleeve: "I wondered what would happen if some Kingston Trio/young stockbroker type might wander in and catch us in the act. F**k him, I thought. With a bit of luck, it'll ruin his life - forever thinking that just behind some narrow door in all his favorite bars, men in red Pendleton shirts are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know. Would he dare to suck a sleeve? Probably not. Play it safe. Pretend you never saw it. . ." :rotflmao:

That's Tink's avatar. That's one of my favourite parts in the book, so when I saw her avatar for the first time, it blew me away and I just had to pm her to tell her how clever it was.
A personal aside, I have considered that event and wondered if a) it really happened that way, and b) if it was anyone I knew.

But the Wave is by far my favourite part of the entire book. It's really just a paragraph, but so much is said in that small space.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:07 pm 

"This is the main advantage of ether: it makes you behave like the village drunkard in some early Irish novel. . . "

I just love that description--even though I can't think of a single early Irish novel that has a village drunkard!

And:

"The decision to flee came suddenly. Or maybe not. Maybe I'd planned it all along--subconsciously waiting for the right moment. The bill was a factor, I think."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:39 am 

KYwoman wrote:
The Wave Speech, the piece about Timothy Leary, and the opening paragraph alone are worth the price of the book.

I just flipped through the book at random and picked one...

Ditto... me too:
Hallucinations are bad enough. But after a while you learn to cope with things like seeing you dead grandmother crawling up your leg with knife in her teeth. Most acid fanciers can handle this sort of thing.

But nobody can handle that other trip--the possibility that any freak with $1.98 can walk into the Circus-Circus and suddenly appear in the shy over downtown Las Vegas twelve times the size of God, howling anything that comes into his head. No, this i s not a good town for psychedelic drugs. Reality itself is too twisted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:10 am 

Liz wrote:

Italics.. yes, it's a masterpiece of punctuation! (Seriously, not that many authors use the full range!)

Solace in the flood

Page 3 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next