It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: F&LILV Tidbit #28 - Benicio's Career Saved
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:17 am 
JDZ Moderator

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.nsf/mndwebpages/del%20toros%20career%20almost%20crushed%20by%20bad%20reviews

DEL TORO'S CAREER ALMOST CRUSHED BY BAD REVIEWS

BENICIO DEL TORO's screen career was nearly ruined by the media's scathing response to his appearance in FEAR AND LOATHING IN LAS VEGAS seven years ago (98).

The Oscar-winning actor found it impossible to find acting work after the film flopped, but his profile suddenly rocketed again when the HUNTER S THOMPSON adaptation garnered a cult status.

He recalls, "The reviews came out and they were some of the worst you've read in your life. The movie sank without trace.

"For a while I couldn't get a job. I even thought about quitting and doing something else.

"Then, just as suddenly, the film became a cult classic on video and I was back in again."

04/07/2005 05:19

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:45 am 

Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson
I've also become a Benicio fan since falling into the 'Johnny web'!

BDT has said Hunter told him his career would be over with the release of the F&L movie. Beni said no one would take a meeting with him after the movie came out because they felt he was like Gonzo in person...all drugged out and wild. To me that's a testament to his acting. You can't do acting like those two did in the movie all drunk and out of it. You can hear them discuss in the commentary of the film (Criterion Edition) how difficult some of those scenes were to do. I'm glad he was able to get work again (receiving an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor in Traffic), because I personally think he is a tremendous actor and I hope he and Johnny do another film together.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v419/KYwoman/RaoulDuke_FALILV/dukegonzoFL.bmp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:16 am 

That's just incredible to me. A huge testimony to the shallowness of the film industry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:24 am 

Very well said, KY. I have been a Benecio fan for a long time (we even share a birthday :cool: ) and having Johnny and Hunter involved in his career is a double bonus, even if it didn't start out that way! He was fabulous in Traffic and of course The Usual Suspects where I first discovered him. I am so excited that he is playing Che and can't wait to see how that goes. I hope he and Johnny will get together again for a film too. It seems The Rum Diary was our best hope of late. :-/

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:18 am 

Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
Very well said, KY. I have been a Benecio fan for a long time (we even share a birthday :cool: ) and having Johnny and Hunter involved in his career is a double bonus, even if it didn't start out that way! He was fabulous in Traffic and of course The Usual Suspects where I first discovered him. I am so excited that he is playing Che and can't wait to see how that goes. I hope he and Johnny will get together again for a film too. It seems The Rum Diary was our best hope of late. :-/

I'm looking forward to Che too. They seem to be moving forward on the project which is good news. It had stalled for a while. Franka Potenta (sp?) from BLOW is to be in it also. BDT was a riot as Fenster in Usual Suspects. He stole the show! Rum Diary would have been a great project for JD and BDT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:47 am 

Good ot hear it is moving forward. Didn't know about Franka :cool:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:23 pm 

Yes, the shallowness of the film industry...how sad. Benicio is a great actor. He was really compelling in 21 Grams. Can't wait to see him as Che. :cool:

"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:59 pm 

lumineuse wrote:
That's just incredible to me. A huge testimony to the shallowness of the film industry.

Indeed, I thought BDT was awesome in FAVILV, as well as Traffic. I've probably seen other movies, but I am at a loss of memory at the moment. :-? That is so insane that people could be that shallow. Its very true how this shows how shallow the film industry is/can be.

I heard somewhere(I think it was Inside the Actors Studio--when JD was on it) that JD said to prepare/to get better into the film, I suppose, they went out and got drunk together. Is there more to this? :banghead: :-?

thanks for posting, Liz. :cool:
Hannah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:21 pm 
JDZ Moderator

DeppLovesBananahs wrote:
lumineuse wrote:

Indeed, I thought BDT was awesome in FAVILV, as well as Traffic. I've probably seen other movies, but I am at a loss of memory at the moment. :-? That is so insane that people could be that shallow. Its very true how this shows how shallow the film industry is/can be.

I heard somewhere(I think it was Inside the Actors Studio--when JD was on it) that JD said to prepare/to get better into the film, I suppose, they went out and got drunk together. Is there more to this? :banghead: :-?

Hannah

I think Johnny mentions in the extras of the Criterion version, but not sure. I will be reviewing the film over the next week and will pay attention to what he says about that.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:49 pm 

Yes Liz, I’m quite sure the “getting drunk together” in preparation for the role comment comes from press junket extras on all editions of the FALILV DVD.

Benicio has taken the road less well traveled and in the end it’s made all the difference (hummm… like anyone else we know?).

I’ve been working my way through all the wonderful extras on the Criterion FALILV again as well. JD reading his corrrespondence with HST aloud... need I say more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:15 am 

I was very impressed by Benicio's comments on the FALILV commentary..about the book and the setting of it and it's meaning.He came across as a very intelligent actor and very perceptive...The fact that he found it hard to''take meetings''afterwards,but has bounced back, is a testament to his bravery in taking the role and his dedication as an actor. :cool:

I have faith in you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:54 am 

Liz wrote:
DeppLovesBananahs wrote:
lumineuse wrote:

Hannah

I think Johnny mentions in the extras of the Criterion version, but not sure. I will be reviewing the film over the next week and will pay attention to what he says about that.

ah I see, I shall have to get that DVD, I have asked for it many a time for Christmas/Birthdays and have failed to get it, (even though I rented the movie once so I guess I'm alright) I shall have to resort to asking Santa for it this year. :capnjack:

Thanks for the info Liz :cool:

Hannah

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]