It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:40 pm 

suec wrote:
Great tidbit. It is easy to see why they were friends.

the article "with its vicious illustrations caused something of a stir"

they spent "a weekend of drug-alcohol-induced paranoia filed a very funny story about the excess they witnessed and mainly the excess in which they indulged"

it sounds like a 70s drug / alcohol wacked out version of Bob Hope and Bing Crosby's 40's road movies!!!!!!!! We're on the road to Moroco!!!!!!!!

am appreciating the duo's writer's / illustrator's relationship much more now than when I first openned the book and went "WHAT THE **** ARE THESE SUPPOSED TO BE!?!?" :yikes: :-O - still not sure where I am on the enjoyment metre but am really really enjoying the tidbits and everyone's responses - does that count?!?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:13 pm 
JDZ Moderator

lizbet wrote:
am appreciating the duo's writer's / illustrator's relationship much more now than when I first openned the book and went "WHAT THE **** ARE THESE SUPPOSED TO BE!?!?" :yikes: :-O - still not sure where I am on the enjoyment metre but am really really enjoying the tidbits and everyone's responses - does that count?!?

Hunter is not for everybody. :eyebrow: We applaud your perseverence. :cool: And it's OK to have a difference of opinion. It will make the discussion all the more interesting.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:57 pm 

quote="lizbet"] "WHAT THE **** ARE THESE SUPPOSED TO BE!?!?" :yikes: :-O [/quote]

:lol: Yeah, when you first look at the illustrations it's a bit off colour exactly their meaning. But I think seeing the movie first helps. It sort of sets it up for you. Then read the book. I know with book-movies you should read the book first, but with this one, I think the movie helps. Terry Gilliam's imagery sort of captures the book's illustrations. I think this in a way you won't be as surprised why Ralph Steadman drew them this way. But again, that is RS's style. He draws very well, in my opinion, but when you first see it, its a bit shocking I suppose. It wasn't too shocking to me. :eyebrow:

Liz wrote:
Hunter is not for everybody. :eyebrow:

That is true Liz, I think most people appreciate him, I suppose its a bit hard to accept him one getting started. However, I liked it right away. He sort of grows on you.... :blush:

Hannah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:08 pm 

Quote:
That is true Liz, I think most people appreciate him, I suppose its a bit hard to accept him one getting started. However, I liked it right away. He sort of grows on you.... :blush:

He gets under your skin, bubba.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:22 pm 

That was a great read thank you, my flatmates have a book well really a journal where they can write their comments about wine, their mum sent it from the States. The other day I was looking at the cover and I said, you know that reminds me of Ralph Steadman's work - and they said well yes, because it is his work.
So your information was really interesting to read, I wondered why he was illustrating wine appreciation journals and now I know!! I love how the zone expands my knowledge about all sort of things.
:lilyrose:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:35 pm 

I think he is a bit of a wine connoisseur. I know he has designed some wine labels and also written a book on wine titled, The Grapes of Ralph: Wine According to Ralph Steadman ... :lol:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:07 pm 

DITHOT wrote:
Quote:
He (Hunter) gets under your skin, bubba.

...And that's the truth! I just finished Kingdom of Fear and started right in on The Proud Highway. Wow! Maybe it's tooooo much HST. The letters written by young Hunter are amazing.
Wish I would have known him....I may have run away from him :blush: but still would have loved the experience. :eyebrow:
bluebird

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:20 am 
JDZ Moderator

DeppLovesBananahs wrote:
Liz wrote:

Hannah

He definitely grows on you. I think the best way is to just totally immerse yourself in Hunter. It's easier that way. Heck, make it a weekend. Read two books, see F&LILV and BWH. Buy the ticket, take the ride. :chill:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:23 am 
JDZ Moderator

bluebird wrote:
DITHOT wrote:
Quote:
He (Hunter) gets under your skin, bubba.

...And that's the truth! I just finished Kingdom of Fear and started right in on The Proud Highway. Wow! Maybe it's tooooo much HST. The letters written by young Hunter are amazing.
Wish I would have known him....I may have run away from him :blush: but still would have loved the experience. :eyebrow:
bluebird

Once you start reading his letters in The Proud Hwy, you don't want to stop. They are absolutely fascinating and so telling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:41 am 

Liz wrote:
DeppLovesBananahs wrote:
Liz wrote:

Hannah

He definitely grows on you. I think the best way is to just totally immerse yourself in Hunter. It's easier that way. Heck, make it a weekend. Read two books, see F&LILV and BWH. Buy the ticket, take the ride. :chill:

nicely said, Liz. :cool:
:disco: Once I began reading more by Hunter, I got more addicted. The way he reaches out to his reader is just....amazing.
Why stop at 2? Read.....8. 8 Books by Hunter. This Weekend...um....by Monday. Ok. :cool:

Hannah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:46 pm 

You know, it just occured to me, a strange connection with Ralph Steadman's drawings....Does anyone know the band The Used? Well, their lastest album, In Love and Death, has drawings inside and they really ressemble that of Ralph Steadman. I know that Alex Pardee drew the album art, but I can't help seeing the connection.

Here's a link:

http://music.aol.com/artist/albumArt.adp?artid=g47005rouct&albumName=In%20Love%20and%20Death

Hannah

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2