It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next
 Post subject: I, Fatty Question #14 - La-La Land
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:07 am 
JDZ Moderator

Pg. 136. “The more you read the papers about what was going on everywhere else, the more you realized Hollywood was like a crazy island, where the natives were off on a spree while the rest of the world crawled through war, inflation, influenza, and food shortages. By now I had to have a brand-new garage built to hold my cars. All five of them. There was a pearl-white Caddy, the Renault (a Frog ride I got as a gift), the Rolls (so lush I used to sleep in it), a Stevens-Duryea I kept for the gardener to drive, and on the way from the manufacturer a 25-grand custom-made Pierce-Arrow.”

Do you feel this way about those times? About now?

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:33 pm 

I don't really know whether Hollywood in the 1920's was a crazy island, but I sometimes feel the whole country (and maybe the world) is a sucession of crazy islands.

We still hear about celebrities who are surrounded by sycophants and come to think their way of life is normal. What do you mean I shouldn't let boys sleep in my bed? What do you mean I shouldn't sell my stock because a friend told me it might crash? What do you mean I shouldn't bite off the ear of my opponent in the boxing ring?

IMHO, it's too easy even for us non-celebs to become isolated, even with (or maybe because of) the many voices (radio, newspapers, and especially the zillions of cable and satellite channels) giving constant input to us all. We listen to what we want to hear, and tune out the many voices who try to tell us things we don't want to hear. I went to see a showing of the movie "The Fog of War" last week, and then participated in a discussion and some of the things I heard in the discussion amazed me. I sat there thinking, "What planet are you living on? Do you really think that the Vietnam War was a good idea? That it was well-handled? That it kept communism from creeping into our homes?" And yes, I guess they do, because that's what they were saying. I used to work with a woman who thought slavery was a good idea, because her family had taken care of their servants, but now the decendants of the slaves showed up at her back door, asking for old clothes and sandwiches.

A bunch of crazy islands. :soapbox:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:46 pm 

Well expressed, fansmom! I was just going to answer, 'Yes' and 'Yes.' :dunce:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:14 pm 
JDZ Web Designer

I agree with you, fansmom, about the “crazy island” world. I guess we’re all isolated to some degree. I know I am because there are just some things I don’t wish to hear or know about. Sometimes it’s the ostrich-with-his-head-buried-in-the-sand kind of thing, sometimes it’s just self-preservation.

I see the one big difference between the non-celebs and the celebs is the amount of publicity. When I buy something extravagant or say something stupid, I don’t have a pack of photographers / paparazzi recording my every word or move. Luckily, my stupidity can stay somewhat private!

(Okay, in my case, another big difference is the money…I haven’t got that kind of expendable cash…and even though I might like to, I can’t afford to go on those kinds of sprees!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:33 pm 

The publicity and paparazzi would tend to encourage island thinking, possibly, because they help to create barriers where people have to protect their privacy more. And I can certainly see instances of the "spree" mentality - and not just in Hollywood, but also in general. I watched Johnny on TV this morning. When he was asked about the temptation of spending on his children because of his wealth, he said that simple things were better than buying, say, a miniature Mercedes for Jack ( :yikes: ). I think that was about it. I've only watched it once and not read a transcript yet. So, the potential is clearly there for total madness. Thank goodness he has more sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:56 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Betty Sue wrote:

I agree and I agree. I love these discussions because they regularly go off in a direction I'm not expecting which opens up my mind to other possibilities.

It's hard to believe there are actually people that think that way. :shocked: But it may be more common than we think. :freaked:

I didn't know much about Hollywood in those early days until I started preparing for this discussion. And still it's hard for me to say much about the times back then other than what I've read about Roscoe. But it does seem that Hollywood has always been an island by itself. Not only are they separated from the rest of the world by necessity--to avoid the public's intrusion into their lives, as you've all pointed out--but also by their expendable cash. I also think that our perceptions of Hollywood and it's residents set them apart from the rest of the world. Since I was a young child I've been fascinated by Hollywood, setting it on a pedestal of sorts. Of course, having visited the town last winter, I found it in reality to be very cold, phony and boorish. I could easily see why Johnny prefers France. But there is still something magical about it, which I can't explain. :-?

Suec, what show did I miss this morning? :-/

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:06 pm 

suec wrote:
The publicity and paparazzi would tend to encourage island thinking, possibly, because they help to create barriers where people have to protect their privacy more. And I can certainly see instances of the "spree" mentality - and not just in Hollywood, but also in general. I watched Johnny on TV this morning. When he was asked about the temptation of spending on his children because of his wealth, he said that simple things were better than buying, say, a miniature Mercedes for Jack ( :yikes: ). I think that was about it. I've only watched it once and not read a transcript yet. So, the potential is clearly there for total madness. Thank goodness he has more sense.

LOL, I saw this while doing some other shopping.....and it's on Sale.

http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/catalog/productview/sku=BR704/catid=679633063/pcatid=

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:29 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Charlene wrote:
suec wrote:

LOL, I saw this while doing some other shopping.....and it's on Sale.

http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/catalog/productview/sku=BR704/catid=679633063/pcatid=

Cute. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:43 pm 

Liz wrote:
Betty Sue wrote:

I agree and I agree. I love these discussions because they regularly go off in a direction I'm not expecting which opens up my mind to other possibilities.

It's hard to believe there are actually people that think that way. :shocked: But it may be more common than we think. :freaked:

I didn't know much about Hollywood in those early days until I started preparing for this discussion. And still it's hard for me to say much about the times back then other than what I've read about Roscoe. But it does seem that Hollywood has always been an island by itself. Not only are they separated from the rest of the world by necessity--to avoid the public's intrusion into their lives, as you've all pointed out--but also by their expendable cash. I also think that our perceptions of Hollywood and it's residents set them apart from the rest of the world. Since I was a young child I've been fascinated by Hollywood, setting it on a pedestal of sorts. Of course, having visited the town last winter, I found it in reality to be very cold, phony and boorish. I could easily see why Johnny prefers France. But there is still something magical about it, which I can't explain. :-?

Suec, what show did I miss this morning? :-/

GMTV. The video clip is on the N & V Board. MAJOR :thud: warning - and then some!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:28 am 

Liz wrote:
Of course, having visited the town last winter, I found it in reality to be very cold, phony and boorish. I could easily see why Johnny prefers France. But there is still something magical about it, which I can't explain. :-?

Absolutely LOVED your crazy island theory, Fansmom. How sublime and profound.

Having lived in Los Angeles for 30 years, you definitely develop a love-hate relationship with the city. Los Angeles itself is a bunch of crazy islands, Hollywood being just one of them. I’ve actually inched my way further and further away from cold, phony and boorish parts—because “the business” does completly permeate the fabric of some neighborhoods.

Celebrities define our cultural values in the America, not just in La-la-land. I think it’s one of the reasons we look so feeble when we ask the rest of world for respect. Maybe what we really envy and desire is the freedom wealth brings and celebrities just flaunt that more anyone else, but never in our history has more meant less.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:35 pm 

I haven't explored the boards thoroughly enough to see if this was posted elsewhere, but it certainly fits here.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8475464/

Celebs, sycophants, and someone named Johnny as a role model . . . :blush:

WHEN ENOUGH IS ENOUGH
6 (make that 7) celebrities whose lives and careers need intervention

By Jon Bonné
MSNBC
Updated: 12:53 p.m. ET July 18, 2005
We all know someone who needs some help. They've made some bad decisions, fallen in with the wrong crowd. They just need friends who'll step in and say, "Stop! That's enough!"
If you're famous, though, it's a bit more difficult for people to tell you no. You're constantly surrounded by hangers-on and sycophants and people who just want a chunk of your fame, or your fortune, or both. And that's when really bad decisions begin.

This goes beyond simply pleading to "Free Katie!" — though you'll note Ms. Holmes tops our list. After all, some celebrities are simply beyond help (Tom Cruise, Britney Spears) and some aren't worth saving (Pam Anderson, Ashton Kutcher).

Others (Madonna, Johnny Depp) have finally learned to keep their names away from most untoward gossip (we're overlooking Depp's plans to turn Hunter Thompson's ashes into a ballistic object). They've learned to feel comfortable in their ruby-crusted shoes, and the folks we're about to name could take a valuable lesson from them. . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:50 pm 

I dont think I could add anything more that hasnt been said. I agree with everyone. I do think that Hollywood is what it is meant to be and we the consumer have made that way. We who put the celebs where they are & have made the photographers the animals that they are. The value we put on a movie star or any kind of performer. There isnt anything wrong with loving the escape the entertainment gives us but we have all created the beast that has turned Hollywood into lala land. :-/

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:18 pm 
JDZ Web Designer

Veronica wrote:
I dont think I could add anything more that hasnt been said. I agree with everyone. I do think that Hollywood is what it is meant to be and we the consumer have made that way. We who put the celebs where they are & have made the photographers the animals that they are. The value we put on a movie star or any kind of performer. There isnt anything wrong with loving the escape the entertainment gives us but we have all created the beast that has turned Hollywood into lala land. :-/

It's that double-edged sword, isn't it, Veronica? We love the escapism and fantasy of the movies, but then we want to be right in the middle of the "reality" of the stars...what they wear, what they eat, who they see, where they go....

And I can be just as guilty -- I want Johnny to have his privacy, but I want to see the pictures, not just the posed ones, but the candid ones too. :blush:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:36 pm 
JDZ Moderator

theresa wrote:
but then we want to be right in the middle of the "reality" of the stars...what they wear, what they eat, who they see, where they go....

And I can be just as guilty -- I want Johnny to have his privacy, but I want to see the pictures, not just the posed ones, but the candid ones too. :blush:

One of the turnoffs for me about a certain restaurant I patronized while there was the number of people not only trying to be right in the middle (me :blush: ) but those actually trying to be one of them. And for those of you who are curious, I'm not speaking of the Chateau Marmont. That place seems to be on an island within the island.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:38 pm 

theresa wrote:
Veronica wrote:

It's that double-edged sword, isn't it, Veronica? We love the escapism and fantasy of the movies, but then we want to be right in the middle of the "reality" of the stars...what they wear, what they eat, who they see, where they go....

We watch him on the big screen. He wows us with his talent I think it is only natural to want to know the real person. Johnny has a voice & he gives his opinion. He has been a trend setter in his own way. He isnt flashy but yet he is with all his trinkets & his bohemian style. He makes people curious because he is so "cool" in his manner. Plus he is so beautiful. that he cant help. He shimmers & he glows that is what attracts us. You can see his heart in his eyes. the odd thing is it only attracts to certain people. I cant for the life of me figure out why every woman in the world doesnt fall & tremble to the sound of his voice. :blush: Ok I am gushing here over him. What was the question? :-?

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next