It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: I, Fatty Tidbit #2: Jerry, in his own words...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:26 am 

Now that you have read about Jerry and seen his picture how about listening to him discuss I, Fatty in an interview on National Public Radio? Just click the link below.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=3606552

P.S. Remember that all of our tidbits have the potential to contain spoilers!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:08 am 

Thanks for that link, DITHOT. I'm in the office alone this morning, so I got to listen to the whole thing straight through. I think some things Stahl said are going to help me revise the way I was regarding this book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:21 am 

Glad you enjoyed it, Bix. There are some definite insights into his take on Roscoe's story.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:06 pm 
JDZ Web Designer

Well, I was going to listen to this at lunch today, but our company "SmartFilter" won't let me into the site...so I'll have to wait until I get home tonight.
Bix wrote:
I think some things Stahl said are going to help me revise the way I was regarding this book.

I too am hoping for many insights on this book, like why he wrote it the way he did. Even after finishing the book, I'm still a little ambivalent about whether or not I really liked it. It's a compelling read, to be sure, but I think the more I know about the time period and the events, the better I'll understand and appreciate it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:03 pm 

Quote:
theresa wrote: I too am hoping for many insights on this book, like why he wrote it the way he did. Even after finishing the book, I'm still a little ambivalent about whether or not I really liked it. It's a compelling read, to be sure, but I think the more I know about the time period and the events, the better I'll understand and appreciate it.

I think you may have come to the right place theresa! Watch for lots of background coming up! :lol:

Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:32 pm 

I must say it reminds me of our initial discussions of Shantaram, and what parts are true and what parts are fictionalized.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:47 pm 

thanks DITHOT - that's some tidbit - more like a big bite - we got two for the price of one - background on the author and on Roscoe - I eagerly await delivery of my copy of I Fatty sometime this week :cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:22 pm 

fansmom, from the research I have done it seems to me the book is pretty factual and based on other biographies. At least as factual as one can be without actually being Roscoe. :eyebrow:

Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:08 pm 

I'm going to catch up on this at work tomorrow - and then splash out on some new speakers for my PC at home, as mine seem to be no good. :banghead:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:10 pm 

I had no idea what to expect from this book. With a title like "I Fatty" I must admit I was a little apprehensive. :blush: this interview is fabulous!!!!! Makes me want to read the book! I have such a busy July planned it will be hard for me to keep up with the discussions but hopefully I won't fall too far behind.

Has anyone watched any Fatty Arbuckle movies? I am wondering if I can find some on ebay. It seems like that would add a lot to the content of the book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:51 am 
JDZ Web Designer

I finally got a chance to listen to the interview…wow, that was great! It does begin to answer some of my questions about Stahl and the way the book was written.

And we’re only on tidbit #2.…by the end of the month……..???

Nebraska, I don’t know about ebay, but the site where I buy my DVDs has several collections of Fatty Arbuckle’s movies for sale. I don’t think I’ve every seen any of them, I’ve seen some Chaplin, and some Harold Lloyd movies, but not Arbuckle’s. I might have to get one - you’re right, I think it would add a lot to the book.

(BTW - I can’t get the visual of Iggy MacMurray out of my mind… :lol: :lol: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:14 am 

nebraska wrote:
I had no idea what to expect from this book. With a title like "I Fatty" I must admit I was a little apprehensive. :blush: this interview is fabulous!!!!! Makes me want to read the book! I have such a busy July planned it will be hard for me to keep up with the discussions but hopefully I won't fall too far behind.

Has anyone watched any Fatty Arbuckle movies? I am wondering if I can find some on ebay. It seems like that would add a lot to the content of the book.

I ordered one off amazon. It has Charlie in it & Buster. Its called the Lost movies of Fatty Arbuckle or something like that. I cant wait to get it.

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:40 pm 

Ok, I haven't read the book yet - I am waaaay behind, but I adore Fatty Arbuckle. You have to see some of his films to appreciate him. He was amazingly graceful, great at stunts, a whiz at juggling and tossing, and set up great gags.

As far as DVDs, I'd recommend The Best of Arbuckle and Keaton (Image Entertainment). It's a really nice collection of two reelers. (Be sure to see Rough House - you'll recognize more than a few gags in it, and the other films, used in Benny & Joon)

Another collection, The Cook and Other Treasures is worth it just to see "The Cook." It is hysterical! And Fatty juggles knives like you wouldn't believe (it also features Buster Keaton in a role different than his later persona...he's much more aggressive and "cool" in this one!).

Kino's also got two volumes of Arbuckle available.

Remember - if you don't want to buy, check your library and ask about interlibary loan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:58 am 

Hello, neophyte! Good to see you! :cool:

One of the things metnioned in the book and that I have come across in my research, is that although Roscoe was a very large person he was very agile and graceful. Thanks for the tip on Rough House and the other movies. Has anyone seen these collections available for rent?

Wow! What a ride!

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]