It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: latest Andrew Birkin comments
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:19 pm 

I occasionally check Andrew Birkin's site to see if he has seen FN yet--and he hasn't--but a few days ago he posted some nice remarks about what he's heard about the film! I didn't copy and paste his whole piece: you have to go to his site: www.jmbarrie.co.uk ; then click on "&etc." down in the lower right, I believe; then "Forum"; then "New Board"; then "general topics"; then "Midnight Ramblings (or was it musings?)" (whew! I think I remembered that in order!) His whole entry is really worth reading for people here who are fans of him and his book. (And besides, his niece is Charlotte Gainsborough, who gets to meet up with Johnny in an elevator in "Ils se marient. . ")

Quote:
I trust none of my earlier remarks about "Finding Neverland" - or the fact that I still haven't seen the film - have sounded arrogant, or in any way sour grapes. I'm absolutely delighted that FN has done so well, not merely because it has drawn attention to Barrie (and, by extension, to "my" book/mini-series/website), but it has also put the on-going plight of the Great Ormond Street Hospital on the global map, and might perhaps one day embarrass Disney into donating a greater slice of their Peter Pan profits to the tens of thousands of sick children who would benefit thereby.

I was sent the script of FN some years ago, and was relieved to find that at least Barrie was not portrayed as a closet paedophile, although I can't pretend that I didn't find it all rather gooey on paper. But by all accounts, the boy playing Peter is so fine - and Depp's performance so beguiling - that it reduces audiences to tears... and that's no mean feat in an increasingly suspicious world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:31 pm 

Thank you, S-R-T, for the snippet and link. I hope Mr. Birkin does eventually see Finding Neverland and shares his thoughts, for better or worse.

"What do I want for the future? I know exactly what I want, everything: calm, peace, tranquillity, freedom, fun, happiness. If I could make all that one word, I would - a many-syllabled word."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:21 am 
JDZ Moderator

Very nice comments indeed. I just wish he would see the movie, and get it overwith. Thanks, SRT, for bringing that to our attention since I've been too busy to check back at his site.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:34 am 

Liz wrote:
Very nice comments indeed. I just wish he would see the movie, and get it overwith. Thanks, SRT, for bringing that to our attention since I've been too busy to check back at his site.

Ditto. Well. at least he's softening......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:21 am 

Quote:
lumineuse wrote: Ditto. Well. at least he's softening......

That is what I thought too, lumineuse. A different tone than the first time we read what he thought of the film. I wish he would just see it too!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:38 pm 

I'm a bit out of the loop with this,but there is an underlying hesitation over what he is saying-he seems to be holding something back....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:29 pm 

gilly wrote:
I'm a bit out of the loop with this,but there is an underlying hesitation over what he is saying-he seems to be holding something back....

The first time I saw FN, I kept thinking, "That's not right, Arthur was still alive when Barrie met the Llewellyn Davis family, and there were five boys," etc. And if I did that, having only read Birkin's book, I can just imagine how difficult Birkin himself would find FN's factual inaccuracies. I don't blame him for hesitating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:50 pm 

This is how Andrew Birkin answered our question regarding his opinion of the movie back in August 2004:

Quote:
AB: I read the script which I thought pretty ghastly, but then I would, wouldn’t I?! Haven’t seen the film, and have no real desire to, but I wish them luck.

I can certainly understand his opinion considering the historical facts that were left out, as you mentioned fansmom. I am encouraged that he has mellowed a bit regarding the film. I hope one day to hear that he has watched it and get his opinion on the finished product.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:40 am 

Now I understand :-O Thanks for that.It's the old question about what you leave in and what you take out.....P.S....DITHOT-you are so tactful. :cloud9: You're not a hostage negotiator by profession by any chance :angel:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:49 am 

Quote:
gilly wrote: .P.S....DITHOT-you are so tactful. You're not a hostage negotiator by profession by any chance :angel:

:rotflmao: No way! But I did raise two boys! :-O

Wow! What a ride!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]