It is currently Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Desiderata ~ Stanza 6
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:04 am 
JDZ Moderator

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:14 am 

another beautiful statement,he,you have a right to be here,like anything else at the planet so take good care for your fellowpeople and envirment.
and again future as it comes,there is a purpose for it wether you understand it or not(or like it ar not)nothings happens without a reason.
thanks again for this powerful poem,greets,
es

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:32 am 
JDZ Moderator

es wrote:
and again future as it comes,there is a purpose for it wether you understand it or not(or like it ar not)nothings happens without a reason.
thanks again for this powerful poem,greets,
es

Greets, es. I love this stanza because that is one of my favorite statements these days. I believe there are no accidents. And thank you, Johnny, for inadvertently bringing this poem to our attention. :-O

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:02 am 

Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson
Personally, I've gone through moments where I wonder what is my 'point and purpose'. I do believe things happen for a reason, but struggle with what my 'reason' is. Am I doing what I should? Could I be doing more? Am I on the right path? I think so much of the problems today are because people don't take time to search out who they are and what road they should take. Too many are caught up in the day to day existence or spending time trying to gather all the material things they can, as if that's the point.

I do know, without a doubt, that Johnny came into my life for a reason. We have all spoken about it before in one way or another, that belief that we have Johnny in our lives for something and met each other for a reason too. Discussing this poem is just one simple example of Johnny's influence. I would never have done this w/o having developed a deep interest in this one person. And what great exposure, to explore literature in this way. Very enlightening and fun.

It astounds me how one person influences SO many. What a path for someone to be on. It makes me wonder what small influences I may have in people's lives, if any. And what it would feel like to be an influence in the world on such a GRAND scale as Johnny, and others, seem to be. Does he even think about that? Does he even realize it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:07 pm 

Quote:
KYwoman wrote: It astounds me how one person influences SO many. What a path for someone to be on. It makes me wonder what small influences I may have in people's lives, if any. And what it would feel like to be an influence in the world on such a GRAND scale as Johnny, and others, seem to be. Does he even think about that? Does he even realize it?

I think it would be overwhelming to realize that. I used to wonder about my place in the scheme of thinkgs too, KY. Then it hit me one day that we may never know but that doesn't make us less important or make it less important to live our lives trying to make the world a better place. I was always waiting for that bolt of lightning to tell me why I was here until I thought, you know, maybe I don't need to know. I think each of us touches other lives in a positive way without any recognition or knowledge that we have done anything. I know I am repeating myself here, but have you read The Five People You Meet in Heaven? A good story.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:20 pm 

I love this stanza. I agree with Liz and es that it's about everything happening for a reason -- and of course, it's beautifully said, with a great message. But for me, since, I'm a Christian, I don't have any doubts about why I'm here, what we're all doing here, what our purposes are, etc. I love the way he states the last part, though, about the "universe unfolding as it should." For me, there has always been and will always be a reason for everything; God has a plan for all of us, and He lets us know where we all fit in in time. This poem acknowledges the doubts people can feel. I don't mean to get too religious or act seem like I'm trying to impress anything upon anyone, though. I just see this poem as a great way to live your life, and for me, it reaffirms the things that I know from God about the world and our lives, and Ehrman states it in a very beautiful and peaceful way. I like the poem especially, because even though I'm religious, and already have my ideas about life and the world, I can still take these words from him - whether they were intended to be for secular reasons or not - and apply them to my thoughts. He has created something powerful, and thought-provoking, and most most importantly, something transcending, universal, forever.

Again, the peace thing comes in again with this stanza for me. I love the fact that it is so supportive, and reaffirming of reason and love and purpose. Do not worry. That's the main thing I get from this poem so far.

sorry so long-
-Kristen :lilyrose:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:34 pm 

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
Quote:
KYwoman wrote: It astounds me how one person influences SO many. What a path for someone to be on. It makes me wonder what small influences I may have in people's lives, if any. And what it would feel like to be an influence in the world on such a GRAND scale as Johnny, and others, seem to be. Does he even think about that? Does he even realize it?

I think it would be overwhelming to realize that. I used to wonder about my place in the scheme of thinkgs too, KY. Then it hit me one day that we may never know but that doesn't make us less important or make it less important to live our lives trying to make the world a better place. I was always waiting for that bolt of lightning to tell me why I was here until I thought, you know, maybe I don't need to know. I think each of us touches other lives in a positive way without any recognition or knowledge that we have done anything. I know I am repeating myself here, but have you read The Five People You Meet in Heaven? A good story.

The Five People You Meet In Heaven is an excellent example DITHOT. I don't think most of us will ever really know what impact we have had on people. And I can't imagine what it must be like for someone like Johnny to know what affect he has on so many people. I do think he must have some inkling. Maybe that's why he is so kind to the fans he meets and why he does the charity work that he does. He knows he can make a positive impact in this world.
I think we need to have faith that we are here for a reason and that there is a plan for each one of us, even if we can't see or undertand it. I think the Desiderata is telling us to live each day as fully as possible and to love and appreciate each other and ourselves and what will be will be. (sorry, I sound like Doris Day there :blush: )

"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:37 pm 
JDZ Moderator

kristen wrote:
I just see this poem as a great way to live your life, and for me, it reaffirms the things that I know from God about the world and our lives, and Ehrman states it in a very beautiful and peaceful way. I like the poem especially, because even though I'm religious, and already have my ideas about life and the world, I can still take these words from him - whether they were intended to be for secular reasons or not - and apply them to my thoughts. He has created something powerful, and thought-provoking, and most most importantly, something transcending, universal, forever.

And just think of this poem’s history and how it got around. Do you think it was an accident that it periodically has ended up in the public eye every so often throughout the years?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:22 pm 

Liz wrote:
kristen wrote:
I just see this poem as a great way to live your life, and for me, it reaffirms the things that I know from God about the world and our lives, and Ehrman states it in a very beautiful and peaceful way. I like the poem especially, because even though I'm religious, and already have my ideas about life and the world, I can still take these words from him - whether they were intended to be for secular reasons or not - and apply them to my thoughts. He has created something powerful, and thought-provoking, and most most importantly, something transcending, universal, forever.

And just think of this poem’s history and how it got around. Do you think it was an accident that it periodically has ended up in the public eye every so often throughout the years?

Very good point. In the history DITHOT posted earlier, you can really see how universal these words are, if people thought they were written in the 1600's. He's got a gift, and I'm so glad he shared it with the rest of us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:56 pm 

I play more computer solitaire than I should. (Okay, I should play none, because it's a waste of time, right?) But sometimes it has a lesson for me. I'll think, I need a black four to go on that red five, and then I can move the red three . . . But then I'll get a red ten instead, and put it on the black Jack, and that red ten is followed by another card, which goes there, and this one goes there, and I realize that I'm probably much farther ahead than if I'd gotten the card I'd been thinking of. I try to remember that lesson when things don't seem to be going my way. My way is not necessarily the best way. Maybe the universe is unfolding the way it should. Maybe there are patterns and plans that are unclear to me because I just can't see from where I am.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:22 pm 

I can't even post an analysis of this verse - it's just too beautiful for me to dissect. I can't think of words, I can only feel it.

What a magnificent work. I really think it is one of the most beautiful things ever written.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:25 pm 

lumineuse wrote:
I can't even post an analysis of this verse - it's just too beautiful for me to dissect. I can't think of words, I can only feel it.

What a magnificent work. I really think it is one of the most beautiful things ever written.

Ditto~ we all have a right to be here. Live and let live :chill:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:49 pm 

That's a really good point about the solitaire, fansmom.
I think things have a way of working out. I think of the chance conversation Johnny had with Nicholas Cage, without which - well, who knows? But we would probably not have the inspiration we do today. We all have that capacity to affect others' lives and in one way, I find it quite a comfort, to think that we can be used as tools in that way. On the other hand, I am always surprised and disconcerted by the realisation that I am having that effect too. When someone tells me they are following my example or making a choice because of me, then I think, yikes! It certainly has the effect of making me aware of - consequences of actions and words. But it gets passed on. Johnny has his influences and inspirations and now they are ours, as he is.
I love the stanza, BTW. A child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars. And the last 2 lines too. How about that for giving us a sense of perspective? Wow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:06 pm 

jeez, I'd probably freak right out if anyone wanted to be like me. I'd say, HEY! get your own personality!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:41 pm 

Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson
fansmom, I like your comparison to playing solitaire. Just when we think we know what we want/need, something else comes along and shows us otherwise. Can't count the number of times that has happened to me. Reading so much of Johnny's history I see the 'coincidences' in his life everywhere too. Same goes for all of us, I suppose. I think of how I met my husband and it blows my mind how it all fell into place.

I like the line too about 'child of the universe'. Makes me think of a larger purpose and connectedness.

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next