Mortdecai Question #3 - Combo Charlie

by Kyril Bonfiglioli

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Mortdecai Question #3 - Combo Charlie

Unread postby Liz » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:54 pm

Did you like or dislike Charlie (the one in the book)? Why or why not?

I'm adding an additional question since we began talking about this already....

How is Bonfiglioli’s Charlie Mortdecai like or unlike Depp’s version?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Re: Mortdecai Question #3 - Did you like Charlie?

Unread postby nebraska » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:37 pm

Liz wrote:Did you like or dislike Charlie (the one in the book)? Why or why not?

It is pretty much impossible for me to separate the two. :spin:

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:28 pm

nebraska wrote:
Liz wrote:Did you like or dislike Charlie (the one in the book)? Why or why not?

That's alright. Let's consider him "combo plan Charlie." Question still remains: did you or did you not like Charlie? :mortdecai1:
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:35 pm

fireflydances wrote:
nebraska wrote:

That's alright. Let's consider him "combo plan Charlie." Question still remains: did you or did you not like Charlie? :mortdecai1:

I liked him quite a lot. Reading a first-person narrative gave me an insider's view of Charlie. I liked his sense of humor, his funny way of expressing himself (for example, all those ridiculous ways to refer to his mustache), and I like that he is not perfect when it comes to mystery-solving. He bumbles along like a lot of the rest of us, I found that endearing. I think he truly loves his wife although he toys with the idea of himself as a ladies's man and I also think he appreciates Jock deeply (as well he should!). On the outside Charlie might appear pompous and foolish, but seen from the inside he is a sweetheart.

marija

Unread postby marija » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:53 pm

Oh yes ... I love both versions of Charlie. In the book I love his sometimes sarcastic humor. At Johnny's presentation, I really like how this sarcasm he taught only by his expression. :smiliewithhearts:
...it's not easy, to be different..."

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:20 pm

I loved Charlie, too. I found some difference between the two however. The book Charlie had more of a wiseacre edge to him. He really cozied up to his readers but at the same time he kept a distance. He was always performing for us. Whereas the film Charlie completely dropped his guard first around Jock and also around Johanna. It's not in the words, it's because Charlie was present in front of us, his expression --not just words--kind of expanding our sense of him. And the word 'endearing' is absolutely the right one. Quality of helpless innocence being present in the background. I mean, when else have you used the word endearing? It's a total cuddle of a word, you know?
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:29 pm

nebraska wrote:
fireflydances wrote:
nebraska wrote:It is pretty much impossible for me to separate the two. :spin:

I liked him quite a lot. Reading a first-person narrative gave me an insider's view of Charlie. I liked his sense of humor, his funny way of expressing himself (for example, all those ridiculous ways to refer to his mustache), and I like that he is not perfect when it comes to mystery-solving. He bumbles along like a lot of the rest of us, I found that endearing. I think he truly loves his wife although he toys with the idea of himself as a ladies's man and I also think he appreciates Jock deeply (as well he should!). On the outside Charlie might appear pompous and foolish, but seen from the inside he is a sweetheart.

I like that. :-) I think he was probably a sweetheart too, underneath. But I think it was Johnny's version that made that more apparent.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:30 pm

marija wrote:Oh yes ... I love both versions of Charlie. In the book I love his sometimes sarcastic humor. At Johnny's presentation, I really like how this sarcasm he taught only by his expression. :smiliewithhearts:

Ah yes! :ohyes: Something that is hard to see in the words on a page.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:42 pm

fireflydances wrote:I loved Charlie, too. I found some difference between the two however. The book Charlie had more of a wiseacre edge to him. He really cozied up to his readers but at the same time he kept a distance. He was always performing for us. Whereas the film Charlie completely dropped his guard first around Jock and also around Johanna. It's not in the words, it's because Charlie was present in front of us, his expression --not just words--kind of expanding our sense of him. And the word 'endearing' is absolutely the right one. Quality of helpless innocence being present in the background. I mean, when else have you used the word endearing? It's a total cuddle of a word, you know?

Endearing, indeed! Well that makes 3 of us who have used that word to describe Johnny's interpretation of Charlie Mortdecai. (I'm sure others have said so too) That is the word I used to describe him to my friends when I gave my review. I would not describe the book Charlie as such. Movie Charlie came across as more vulnerable than book Charlie. And that is what made him endearing to me. I keep thinking of him asking Jock, "Will it all be all right in the end, Jock?" :thud: He never asked that of Jock in the book.

Return to “The Great Mortdecai Moustache Mystery”