Just Kids Question #25 - It's a wrap

by Patti Smith

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Just Kids Question #25 - It's a wrap

Unread postby Liz » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:09 pm

Sadly, this is our last question. Thanks to all who participated. Thanks for sharing your views and insights with us. As always, I learn so much from you. :bouquet:

I’ve discussed this book in my local book club, and the opinions were all over the map. One couldn’t get past the first few chapters. She just didn’t care. One finished but was left wondering what the fuss was all about. One was inspired to do her own research, and she wasn’t even born during that time period. Another ate all of it up because she did remember those times.

Where do you fall? And did you care?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

SnoopyDances

Re: Just Kids Question #26 - It's a wrap

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:37 pm

:wave: I haven't read the book yet, but probably will at some point.

I've been following the discussions and found them, as always, interesting. The questions and tidbits did peak my interest more about reading the book. It was certainly an interesting time period in history. :ok:

That's funny about your other book club. What are the age ranges there? I would think the book would appeal to those of us closer to Patti's age and who remember the times. Maybe the younger folks are the ones that "don't get all the fuss".

:thankyou: Thanks again, Liz and Firefly, for another wonderful discussion. And thanks to everyone that contributed.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:23 am

Thanks, Snoopy. The age ranges are 35-50. I'm the oldest at 57.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:22 am

As I said before I read in two days flat it was a great read. I found it very interesting but as I also said it had the feel of a fictional story. I didn't know much about Patti so I found it very interesting to see where she came from and how amazing her life experience was. It was also interesting to hear about all the other people who were or became famous later that touched her life . And yes I cared and actually I wanted to know more she didn't really touch on her life with her husband and her family, much in the same way that Keith Richards didn't really touch on his, I guess they feel that is too private and well that it true, but I would have liked to know more about her life up to now.

Thanks as always for the tidbits that you work so hard to give us. Some I read with relish some I just didn't have time to read I'm afriad :-/ and the discussion as always enjoyable.
I think a couple of questions were a bit difficult and what happened to question 25? :biggrin:

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:01 pm

I think the book was mainly of interest to Patti's adoring fans. I really tried! I read Just Kids twice and I read three other books about Patti and Robert. I even bought a coffee table book of Robert's photographs from the Whitney Exhibit.There was a lot in this book and the related material I read that disturbed me, and the more I read the worse it got.

I am a pretty traditional person - I am sure most of you would call me "old fashioned". Liz's pleas for open-mindedness caused me to do some soul searching about my own superior attitudes toward some of my fundamentalist Christian friends and how judgemental I can be about their beliefs. Except for that bit of personal growth, this was a very negative experience for me.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:26 pm

I'm not an adoring fan and as I say I knew next to nothing about her before I read the book. I thought I wouldn't find it interesting becasue I wasn't a fan but I did.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:50 pm

Gilbert's Girl wrote:I think a couple of questions were a bit difficult and what happened to question 25? :biggrin:

Oops. I misnumbered the final question. :blush:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:58 pm

nebraska wrote:I think the book was mainly of interest to Patti's adoring fans. I really tried! I read Just Kids twice and I read three other books about Patti and Robert. I even bought a coffee table book of Robert's photographs from the Whitney Exhibit.There was a lot in this book and the related material I read that disturbed me, and the more I read the worse it got.

I am a pretty traditional person - I am sure most of you would call me "old fashioned". Liz's pleas for open-mindedness caused me to do some soul searching about my own superior attitudes toward some of my fundamentalist Christian friends and how judgemental I can be about their beliefs. Except for that bit of personal growth, this was a very negative experience for me.

You certainly gave it the old college try, as it were. But if it's not for you, it's not for you. And that's OK.

I just wanted everyone to be open-minded if they were to participate in the discussion. I just want everyone to play nice here and to be respectful of all beliefs and attitudes, not only within the Zone community. But you just never know who might be reading our posts. ;)

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Re: Just Kids Question #25 - It's a wrap

Unread postby Liz » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:04 pm

I wouldn't classify myself as an "adoring fan" either. I knew next to nothing about her until I read this book, and I knew of only one song. But I've been wanting to read the book since it was released. Why? Several reasons...

- Curiosity due to her friendship with Johnny

- Several of my Zoner friends said it was really good.

- I was told I'd like it due to the time period and the various people Patti came in contact with.

- DITHOT told me after she read it a while back that it would be tidbit heaven (which it was, and I wish that she could have participated).

I did enjoy the book very much, as I expected I would. And I am really glad I was exposed to her music.

But I can understand the reluctance of a non-fan to read a book about someone you barely know. For example, you wouldn't catch me reading a book about a football player I've barely heard of. To each his own. Not every book we read here at ONBC is going to appeal to everybody. That's why we oftentimes have a different mix of participants.

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:56 pm

But I can understand the reluctance of a non-fan to read a book about someone you barely know. For example, you wouldn't catch me reading a book about a football player I've barely heard of. To each his own. Not every book we read here at ONBC is going to appeal to everybody. That's why we oftentimes have a different mix of participants.

Exactly why I like the ONBC....and other book clubs I've joined...I'm encouraged to read books outside of my comfort zone. I've read some really great stories that I would have otherwise not bothered with.
Of course, some of the books weren't to my liking, either, but that comes with the territory.
If you don't read it, you'll never know. :ok:

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:37 pm

SnoopyDances wrote:

Exactly why I like the ONBC....and other book clubs I've joined...I'm encouraged to read books outside of my comfort zone. I've read some really great stories that I would have otherwise not bothered with.
Of course, some of the books weren't to my liking, either, but that comes with the territory.

That is true. I have actively participated in every discussion here at ONBC since the very first book ... until this one. There have been a lot that weren't to my liking and some that I never would have picked up without ONBC and ended up loving. And in the past, discussion has always been open to all viewpoints and as Liz always says there are no wrong answers. This book just felt different to me.

Joni
JDZ Global Moderator

Unread postby Joni » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:49 pm

nebraska wrote:
SnoopyDances wrote:

That is true. I have actively participated in every discussion here at ONBC since the very first book ... until this one. There have been a lot that weren't to my liking and some that I never would have picked up without ONBC and ended up loving. And in the past, discussion has always been open to all viewpoints and as Liz always says there are no wrong answers. This book just felt different to me.

But you did participate in your own way nebraska, just maybe not so much in the discussions. You searched out other books and checked out Robert's art, and came to the conclusion that this wasn't for you. I would say that is participating!

shadowydog

Unread postby shadowydog » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:40 pm

Wow I have really struggled with this one. I didn't read the book; but grew up as this "movement" was gaining legs. I went through college ahead of the start of the college drug movement; then went off to teach being ignorant as to drug usage and the effects of drug usage on young people. I got a wake up call when some 4th graders asked me if it was true that you could get high by shooting peanut butter in your veins. :yikes: I recognized my inability to discuss the "new" drug culture with my students and started hanging out around Syracuse University. I became alarmed at what the drug culture was doing to innocent youngsters just coming fresh out of high school getting swept up and basically destroyed as the drugs corrupted their minds and they became paranoid and lost all interest in learning. I also came to know young teens whose parents left them home alone on weekends while they partied, who held unsupervised drug parties in each others homes and being called in to bring them into a volunteer drug treatment center out of their minds. The youngest was nine and having a bad reaction to LSD. As you can see I have a negative view of the culture Patti immersed herself in and, in a way, glorified.
I have nothing to do and all day to do it in.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:20 am

Actually it surprised me to find out that Patti had not been a drug user, I think you always get the idea that back then certainly most, if not all musicians had used drugs at one time or another.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:11 am

Interesting. I just didn't think drugs was a big theme in the book. It wasn't about that at all to me. It was about so much more. Maybe I just looked beyond it??? :perplexed:

Return to “Just Kids”