Just Kids Question #19 Robert's Art

by Patti Smith

Moderator: Liz

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Just Kids Question #19 Robert's Art

Unread postby fireflydances » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:05 pm

Robert took areas of dark human consent and made them into art. He worked without apology, investing the homosexual with grandeur, masculinity, and enviable nobility. Without affectation, he created a presence that was wholly male without sacrificing feminine grace. He was not looking to make a political statement or an announcement of his evolving sexual persuasion. He was presenting something new, something not seen or explored as he saw and explored it. Robert sought to elevate aspects of male experience, to imbue homosexuality with mysticism. As Cocteau said of a Genet poem, “His obscenity is never obscene."

Just Kids, pg. 200

Please comment.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Gilbert's Girl

Re: Just Kids Question #19 Robert's Art

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:05 am

I think she is probably right. I haven't seen much of his works only what was posted or what is available online so I can't really comment on any of what might be his more controversial subjects but what I have seen is very graceful and beautiful. I do prefer his portraits though. The ones of Patti are lovely.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:24 pm

"He was not looking to make a political statement or an announcement of his evolving sexual persuasion. He was presenting something new, something not seen or explored as he saw and explored it. Robert sought to elevate aspects of male experience, to imbue homosexuality with mysticism."

In my research I found differing views on this. Some thought he was making a political statement about homosexuality.....elevating it, as it were, bringing it to the forefront.

But I believe Patti probably knew better than anyone what his real intentions were. And if I understood the book correctly (I can't remember where in the book I read this), his main goal was to create something that no one else had done before him. And he was pushing the envelope.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

RamblinRebel

Unread postby RamblinRebel » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:35 am

I find Robert’s ability to discover and capture perfection absolutely incredible! His sense of composition, line, light and form astound me. I really have no idea as to his intentions with the S&M pieces, nor do feel I have any authority to speak to that. As Liz said, Patti probably knew better than anyone so I would also defer judgment of that to her. But to me, the vast majority of his other work said, “Look at this! Come here, come here and just look! Look how incredibly beautiful this is!”

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:48 pm

I really liked Patti's use of the Cocteau quote "Obscenity that is never obscene." I think things are great art even if or sometimes simply because they walk along an edge that pushes at social boundaries. Yes, they may offend, but art is not about safe and familiar images but visions outside the ordinary that show us things we've missed or haven't fully understood. Our artists are shamans and we grant them permission to explore the psyche, the backside of society, the unexplored realms of the soul.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Return to “Just Kids”