It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Kerouac's 'On the Road' Manuscript Unfurled
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:21 pm 

I know, you're going to start thinking all I do is read and listen to NPR for references to the ONBC, but really, I have a job, I go to the grocery store, I do laundry, and lots of other exciting stuff. Anyway, this was on All Things Considered this afternoon--

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=4500593

Kerouac's 'On the Road' Manuscript Unfurled

Learn the true story behind the origins of On the Road, and hear and see Kerouac read portions of his manuscript.

Behind Kerouac's 'On the Road'

All Things Considered, February 15, 2005 ยท The legend behind the writing of Jack Kerouac's On the Road is well known, if not entirely accurate. Fueled by inspiration, coffee and Benzedrine, Kerouac sat down at his typewriter and -- in one burst of creative energy -- wrote the novel that would make him the voice of his generation in just 20 days, typing it out on a single, 120-foot-long scroll.

Kerouac actually spent much more time laying the groundwork for his novel than that creation myth suggests, but the part about the giant scroll manuscript is true. Now for the first time, the unfurled scroll has gone on display at the University of Iowa Museum of Art in Iowa City. It will travel next to the Las Vegas Public Library.

The giant scroll, which can be seen from end to end, is being housed under glass in a gallery long enough to contain its full length when unrolled. However, its ending is missing -- it was reportedly chewed by a dog.

NPR's Melissa Block discusses the display with Howard Collinson, the museum's director.

Oh, and on the radio, they said that the scroll exhibit would be traveling around the country, including Austin (DITHOT?) and Washington DC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:48 am 
JDZ Moderator

It's not so much that you spend all of your time looking for these things.......

They find you. Twilight Zone moments are running amok amongst JD and those who are connected to him in some way--including us.

I know I should know this, but is the scroll making it's way to CA?

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:43 am 

Liz wrote:
It's not so much that you spend all of your time looking for these things.......

They find you. Twilight Zone moments are running amok amongst JD and those who are connected to him in some way--including us.

Isn't that the truth! There are those occasions when we encounter a word or an idea or something and then it crops up again only a few days later. Those things were floating around all the time and we just never noticed. But then we become aware and hey presto! So I now notice all sorts of things I wouldn't have before... Oh well! Good thing that we can share them. Thanks fansmom. It's good to know that it's around to be seen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:02 am 

Thanks for that, fansmom. It's true about the connections too, I think we do become aware of things, especially to do with books, more than we (well I) did in the past.
And now I'm going to ask a Kerouac q about the coat JD bought... I expect I should know this really, but who sold it to him? Was it Kerouac's family? I gather it was at an auction, am I right about that?

Solace in the flood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:24 am 

Quote:
famsmom wrote: I know, you're going to start thinking all I do is read and listen to NPR for references to the ONBC, but really, I have a job, I go to the grocery store, I do laundry, and lots of other exciting stuff. Anyway, this was on All Things Considered this afternoon--

Oh sure, just like the rest of us! :rotflmao: Information on the scroll tour is posted below. It will be in Austin this fall! :bounce:

Quote:
endora wrote: And now I'm going to ask a Kerouac q about the coat JD bought... I expect I should know this really, but who sold it to him? Was it Kerouac's family? I gather it was at an auction, am I right about that?

endora, as I recall it was sold to him privately by Jack Sampas who had control of the estate at the time and before the auction. Liz correct me if I'm wrong here. :eyebrow:

Jack Kerouac "On the Road" Manuscript Scroll

The scroll goes on the road: The owner of the scroll, Jim Irsay, has announced that that the scroll will make a 13-city tour of the United States, beginning in January 2004 in Orlando, Florida, and finishing in New York in 2007.

Read more about it here:
San Francisco Chronicle, January 14, 2004
Lowell Sun, January 17, 2004

Here are some photos:
Jim Irsay and the On the Road scroll
close-up of the On the Road scroll

The scroll's stop at Naropa University was, unfortunately, cancelled due to lack of funds.
Here's the story.

Tour Schedule:

Jan. 10 to March 21: Orange County History Center, Orlando, Fla.
May 10 to June 25: Naropa University, Boulder, Colo. CANCELLED
Sept. 15 to Nov. 30: Marquette University, Milwaukee, Wis.
Jan. 19 to March 31: University of Iowa Museum of Art, Iowa City, Iowa
March 24 to May 15: Las Vegas Public Library, Las Vegas
June to August: National Museum of American History, Washington, D.C.
Sept. 1 to Nov. 30: University of Texas, Austin, Texas
Jan. 14 to March 19: San Francisco Public Library, San Francisco
May 1 to July 31: Indianapolis-Marion County Public Library, Indianapolis
Aug. 15 to Nov. 15: Columbia College, Chicago
Jan. 1 to March 31: Denver Public Library, Denver
TBD: Palace of the Governors, Santa Fe, N.M.
Sept. 1 to Dec. 31: New York Public Library, New York
The Jack Kerouac "On the Road" Scroll Auction
The hammer price for Jack Kerouac's "On the Road" scroll was $2,200,000.
(This figure does not include the buyer's premium.)
The sales price exceeds the pre-auction estimate of $1,000,000 - $1,500,000.

The scroll's buyer was Jim Irsay, owner of the Indianapolis Colts football team, who may exhibit the scroll in an Indianapolis museum.

Background

Jack Kerouac's original typewritten manuscript scroll for "On the Road" was auctioned by Christie's on May 22, 2001 on behalf of some of the heirs to Jack Kerouac's estate, at a starting bid of one million dollars.
There was a public outcry against the auction by various writers, Beat scholars, and others who felt that the best place for the scroll would be the New York Public Library or another public institution where it would be available for study, rather than the collection of a private individual. Fortunately, the scroll was purchased by Jim Irsay, owner of the Indianapolis Colts, who recognizes the importance of the scroll and has said that he's committed to preserving it and will send it on tour. It will likely be made available for study as well.

http://www.emptymirrorbooks.com/kerouac ... croll.html

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:46 am 
JDZ Moderator

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
endora, as I recall it was sold to him privately by Jack Sampas who had control of the estate at the time and before the auction. Liz correct me if I'm wrong here. :eyebrow:

That's the way I remember it. :cool:

And it looks like I will be headed to the SF Library next January. :bounce: Thanks for posting the schedule, DITHOT!

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:19 pm 

Liz wrote:

That's the way I remember it. :cool:

And it looks like I will be headed to the SF Library next January. :bounce: Thanks for posting the schedule, DITHOT!

Maybe I will join you, if that's okay. I haven't been to Frisco in many years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:43 pm 

Liz wrote:

And it happened again. I just finished Sean Astin's "There and Back Again," about the making of LOTR, and he devotes almost a page to telling about how he went to the same theatrical wigmaker as Johnny. (He didn't know what Johnny needed a wig for in 1999.) Then I returned it to the library while my DH and I were running errands this afternoon. I didn't check anything out since I have the Whiskey Robber waiting for me, but my DH got Janet Evanovich's "Metro Girl" (and we all know the JD reference in that, right?) and some Clancyesque military potboiler called "Weapons of Choice." So a bit later I'm waiting for DH outside the motorcycle store, and since I've already read Metro Girl, I pick up the boy book, only to discover on page 11 that one of the minor characters is a "goth lesbian with a hard-on for the oeuvre of Johnny Depp." (Ewww. Johnny or no Johnny, that's more than that style of writing than I can stand.) Anyway, he's here, he's there, he's everywhere. Truly Twilight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:00 pm 

Quote:
fansmom wrote: only to discover on page 11 that one of the minor characters is a "goth lesbian with a hard-on for the oeuvre of Johnny Depp."

Say what??? :dunce: :-O

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:00 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Quote:
fansmom wrote: only to discover on page 11 that one of the minor characters is a "goth lesbian with a hard-on for the oeuvre of Johnny Depp."

Say what??? :dunce: :-O

Fansmom, is this a conundrum? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:46 pm 

I kid you not. I don't think it's meant to be tongue in cheek.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0345457 ... 15&go.y=14

I think it's just really bad, really thoughtless writing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:25 am 
JDZ Moderator

fansmom wrote:
I kid you not. I don't think it's meant to be tongue in cheek.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0345457 ... 15&go.y=14

I think it's just really bad, really thoughtless writing.

Isn't that special: "As she contemplated the chocolate bar, she drummed her fingers on ..."

:rotflmao: Wasn't that a line from CATCF--or something similar?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]