It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: DS Question #14 - Characters Now and Then
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:16 pm 

We have talked about Barnabas but what about the rest of the characters? Compare the characters of the original DS to DS 2012.

Sorry to be running so late today! :blush:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject: Re: DS Question #14 - Characters Now and Then
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:16 pm 

I think the characters, then and now, fit the time frame in which their show aired.

Only Carolyn and Barnabas were similar to their TV counterparts. The others definitely had different personalities and you could tell Tim's version immediately.
The TV characters worked well for the period the show was in and had typical soap opera styles and manners. The movie characters were a little over the top, but in a comical way, wit the Burton influence.

The 90s TV version was more similar to the 60s version, but too serious and dramatic for the 90s. I think that's why it didn't do as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:15 pm 

It is a tough comparison since the two shows reflected the times so differently and the original DS was definitley not played for comedy! For some reason, one of the characters, besides Barnabas, that stands out in my memory of the original DS is Dr. Julia Hoffman. As I remember her then she was so serious and mysterious. Very different from the character we saw played by Helena - who I thought was great!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:23 pm 

The Dr. Hoffman role was the one where I noticed the most difference between the 90s version and Helena's portrayal. I absolutely loved Helena in this role! :cool: And I never would have recognized her if I didn't already know it was her.

I thought the Carolyn I saw in clips of the original show acted more adult and the Carolyn in Tim's version was a bratty teen -- mouthy, sullen.....

And Tim's Angelique was more feminist -- bold and overtly greedy and out to exert power for power's -- than the Angelique I saw before. The old Angelique was more interested in her personal life than also having a professional one.

I agree the characters mirrored the era the show was made.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:30 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Interesting how people can view things differently.

I thought that 2012 Carolyn was the least like her original character and the 2012 Julia Hoffman was the most like the original. I think it was more about 2012 Julia’s looks. I think the essence of Grayson’s Dr. Hoffman was there – just a lighter, more comical version.

2012 Carolyn was a lot younger and a lot more rebellious.

I think that visually, 2012 Elizabeth was not right at all. But I felt the essence of the original Elizabeth in her demeanor.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:26 pm 

Carolyn was more believable in Tim's version, due to the time set, not like the soap. Coming out of the late 60's. She was a bit disenchanted.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:14 am 
JDZ Moderator

winona wrote:
Carolyn was more believable in Tim's version, due to the time set, not like the soap. Coming out of the late 60's. She was a bit disenchanted.

I get your point, winona. She was more believable (and more interesting) for the time period, since DS 2012 was set in '72? Don't get me wrong. Carolyn's part in DS 2012 was one of my favorites. She was quirky and colorful and fun.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]