Announcing the Zone's 2012 Birthday Project for Project Pueblo

Give in Johnny's honor and help Navajo families.
shadowydog

Re: Announcing the Zone's 2012 Birthday Project for Project Pueblo

Unread post by shadowydog » Tue May 01, 2012 5:06 pm

humiliatedgrape wrote:Thank you to PTP and Theresa for organizing the Birthday Project! :loveshower: :thankyou:

So hard to believe that such terrible conditions like this still exist in the U.S...so close to home. Thank you for bringing Project Pueblo and the conditions of the Navajo people to our attention. I'm sure we can make quite a generous contribution :grouphug: :worldhug:

And a happy early birthday to Johnny!!! :balloons:

Especially since the conditions were created deliberately by our Government. :grr:
I have nothing to do and all day to do it in.

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread post by Theresa » Tue May 01, 2012 5:46 pm

Thanks for all the positive comments on our choice of charity this year. I had hoped that everyone would embrace this cause...it's one where our contributions can really change the lives of a few people in a very tangible way.

:worldhug:

Kittycat88

Unread post by Kittycat88 » Tue May 01, 2012 6:01 pm

Theresa wrote:Thanks for all the positive comments on our choice of charity this year. I had hoped that everyone would embrace this cause...it's one where our contributions can really change the lives of a few people in a very tangible way.

:worldhug:
Are you kidding?? Thank YOU, all the mods and admins who once again came up with the perfect charity. :loveshower:

Rachael J

Unread post by Rachael J » Wed May 02, 2012 12:46 pm

I'm loving the charity this year :-) I will be donating :-)
I'd never heard of this charity before, it sounds like a good cause to be giving to :biggrin:

mangodroplet

Unread post by mangodroplet » Thu May 03, 2012 1:27 pm

We here at Project Pueblo want to thank you so much for choosing to donate to our organization. Every little bit counts. The Navajo people are so wonderful. If you guys want to know a little more, what we do is that we bring students (and anyone else who wants to come!) to the Navajo nation to stay with a Navajo family and do whatever projects they need us to do. We often do a lot of building of homes, repair work, and other misc tasks, as there are a lot of old people, and very few young working hands to help them out. We are currently looking to install water systems and bathrooms, since there have been many cases of death of older people who go outside at night to go to their outhouses. Even though many don't have running water or electricity, they are so rich in culture and spirit, and I really admire their strength. All our money goes to the families, and whatever other things they need. I actually got involved with this organization because of its grassroots nature - we talk directly to families, and contact them ourselves! There is no staff that gets paid, and we do our best to save as much money as we can, so that we can give it to the families there. We're still a relatively new group, since the Bennett freeze was only lifted a couple years ago, but we hope that we can make as much of a difference as we can.

If you'd like to know more about the Bennett Freeze, LA times has made a great slideshow of it. It features Larry Gordy, who is actually a good friend of ours!

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld ... .htmlstory" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks so much!

-Anna Yap
Co-director, Project Pueblo Berkeley Chapter
annayap@projectpueblo.org
http://www.projectpueblo.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread post by Theresa » Thu May 03, 2012 1:48 pm

Thanks for telling us a little more about Project Pueblo, Anna! :ok:

I'm excited for what good our fundraiser will do in assisting you guys to help the Navajo people. I had seen the LA Times article in my searches, because it's one of the few articles about the Bennett Freeze that I could find. I couldn't even find a Wikipedia page on it. I'll be posting from that article here to give a little background info.

mangodroplet

Unread post by mangodroplet » Thu May 03, 2012 3:40 pm

Yeah! We have a class here at Cal, and we're hoping that one of our projects next semester is to put up a wikipedia page for the Bennett Freeze. It's mind-boggling just how little information there is out there for people to find out about it.

Kittycat88

Unread post by Kittycat88 » Thu May 03, 2012 5:48 pm

I am ashamed. When I watch this video, my eyes just filled up. I cannot understand why anyone in power, liberal or conservative has not come to the aid of these wonderful people.

I can only say, this is a wonderful cause. Wonderful. Thank you Theresa, PtP, and mangodroplet (what a great name) !!

:cloud9:

Jack's Wench

Unread post by Jack's Wench » Fri May 04, 2012 2:40 am

Mangodroplet, thank you for coming to the Zone and telling us a bit about what you do. :bouquet:
Dreams really do come true!
Just Believe....... 26th April 2007

"We're having too good a time today, we ain't thinking about tomorrow"

mangodroplet

Unread post by mangodroplet » Fri May 04, 2012 2:43 am

Thanks! I love this name too :) haha. And thanks for the thanks! We really appreciate you too.

The sad thing about the area is that America is still trying to exploit the area. John McCain and Jon Kyle are working to destroy the future of the Hopi and Navajo People forever by seeking to take their water rights through SB 2109. There have been protests by Native Americans, but the sad thing is that not that many people know about it.

Also, it's been a crazy, multifacted problem. The Navajo government does get money, but unfortunately, due to corruption, mishandling of money, etc, the money does not get to the most underserved and poor of their community.

Here's an article that talks about a whole housing development that was made with the money given to the Navajo government, but unfortunately no one is allowed to live in these homes: http://projectpueblo.org/attachments/07 ... basics.pdf

Again, we want to thank you all so much for supporting this cause!

Jack's Wench

Unread post by Jack's Wench » Fri May 04, 2012 2:53 am

Thank you for posting the article Anna.

How sad that people are living in such awful conditions when brand new houses are lying empty. :sad:
Dreams really do come true!
Just Believe....... 26th April 2007

"We're having too good a time today, we ain't thinking about tomorrow"

carol2843

Unread post by carol2843 » Sat May 05, 2012 8:16 pm

:bouquet: Mailed my donation today. It is always a pleasure for me to participate in the Zone's annual Birthday Project for Johnny; this year is no exception. In fact, I am thrilled with the choice of Project Pueblo. Ever since I was a kid, I have admired Native Americans and their various cultures and traditions. For several years I have made monthly financial gifts to a school that helps abused and neglected Native American children and just this past year have added another one. So, this year's Birthday Project for Johnny not only feels good but fits in with my choice of charities/organizations that I wish to be able to help. I wish Johnny the happiest of birthdays and hope he enjoys every moment of it. :heart:

winona

Unread post by winona » Wed May 09, 2012 5:13 pm

Thank you for a wonderful choice! I think my Dad would come back to " have a chat" with me if I didn't pitch in :bounce:
Because love has your face and body .....and your hands are tender and your mouth is sweet-and God has made no other eyes like yours. Walter Benton

seanwycliffe

Unread post by seanwycliffe » Wed May 09, 2012 6:08 pm

Thank you so much Johnny Depp Zone for your support of Project Pueblo! It means so much to us that you selected our nonprofit this year, and we're excited about the great impact that we can make in a distressed community that has been suffering for decades. Special thanks to Theresa and part-time poet for getting this organized.

Definitely feel free to reach out to me or anyone from Project Pueblo if you have any questions/comments/ideas/anything. And, if anyone is interested, we are running a number of trips over the next 12 months that you and/or your friends and family could get involved in!

Thanks again for what you all do :) :)

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread post by Theresa » Wed May 09, 2012 6:19 pm

Thank for coming and introducing yourself to us, Sean! You're more than welcome to come here anytime and tell us about the trips you and your team have made to the rez, or projects that are still in the planning stage...

Any and all tidbits of info will certainly be appreciated!