It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: The Thin Man Question #10 ~ Other Writers
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:54 am 

We touched on this a little yesterday...

Did his writing style remind you of any other authors or any authors we have read at ONBC?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject: Re: The Thin Man Question #10 ~ Other Writers
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:15 pm 

Oops, I answered this yesterday. :blush: Yes, it reminded me of Hemingway.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:13 pm 

No worries, fansmom. :cool:

I thought of Danny Depp. Not just the detective story aspect but the way it was writtne using so much dialogue. I remember we commented on that when we read his books. The quick back and forth exchange and the amount of dialogue I saw as similar. I think Danny even references The Thin Man in his second book.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:16 pm 

I guess I sort of answered this yesterday, too. I saw a similarity to Nelson Algren.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:14 pm 

nebraska wrote:
I guess I sort of answered this yesterday, too. I saw a similarity to Nelson Algren.

Yes, I would agree but mostly in terms of subject matter, in Hammett's focus on street folks whether petty criminals or the cops chasing them around and also in the political perspective that underlies the story. Both men are strong advocates for those occupying the bottom rungs of society. But his writing is not beautiful in the way Algren's is beautiful as in Algren's opening to The Man with the Golden Arm, "The captain never drank. Yet, towards nightfall in that smoke-colored season between Indian summer and December's first true snow, he would sometimes feel half drunken. He would hang his coat neatly over the back of his chair in in the leaden station-house twilight, say he was beat from lack of sleep and lay his head across his arms upon the query-room desk."

I haven't read a lot of detective stories but my guess is that Hammett invented himself, or what I mean more properly he invented his way of writing which is an amazing thing for a writer to do. And that the similarities that exist are in the genre writers that followed him. I guess we should compare him to people like Chandler? And I see a lot more lyricism in Daniel Depp's writing, more in the first book perhaps.

In the end perhaps Hammett's writing is less about the construction of style and more about the invention of a perspective and these minimalist sketches whereby he creates a character.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:52 pm 

Quote:
In the end perhaps Hammett's writing is less about the construction of style and more about the invention of a perspective and these minimalist sketches whereby he creates a character.
It is the "minimalist" part that I see, too, firefly.
Like Hemingway, he doesn't use a lot of words. I still think his writing is closer to a play than a novel (though nothing like the only play we've read, The Libertine!)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:38 am 
JDZ Moderator

Buster, I agree with you that his writing is more like a play - or a screenplay.....maybe his time in Hollywood and preparing for The Thin Man, the movie. If I remember correctly, we may have said the same thing about Daniel....that his stories would make good movies. And they would indeed. Lot's of dialog, as more than one of you have said.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:10 am 

I agree. And I much preferred Algren's writing to Hammett's.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:06 pm 

Earl Stanley Gardner. :biggrin: I think the Perry Mason inventor was a much better mystery writer.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:24 pm 

I too was reminded of the Daniel Depp style of writing (minus the @#!! language :harhar: ). The difference is that Hammett's main charators seemed much happier in their lives. The light-heartedness of some of the conversations brought alot of humor to the story.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:15 pm 

ladylinn, I thinik it was the amount of dialogue that reminded me of Danny - like you said not the other bits! Although Hammett did have a :censored: bit in his original book as well!

Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:35 pm 

Besides Daniel Depp the other mystery writer who came to mind for me Rex Stout the author of the Nero Wolfe books. Wolfe as a character is very verbose, so the have a lot of disloyal too.

Live in Depp
Boo

"The theater is my drug, and my illness is so far advanced that my physic must be of the highest quality."~~John Wilmot

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:08 pm 

Boo-Radley wrote:
Besides Daniel Depp the other mystery writer who came to mind for me Rex Stout the author of the Nero Wolfe books. Wolfe as a character is very verbose, so the have a lot of disloyal too.

Live in Depp
Boo

Well that's what I get for trying to post from my Kindle :lol: The last part of the sentence should read: ...so the books have a lot of dialogue too.

Live in Depp
Boo

"The theater is my drug, and my illness is so far advanced that my physic must be of the highest quality."~~John Wilmot

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:11 am 
JDZ Moderator

Boo-Radley wrote:
Boo-Radley wrote:

Live in Depp
Boo

Well that's what I get for trying to post from my Kindle :lol: The last part of the sentence should read: ...so the books have a lot of dialogue too.

Live in Depp
Boo

Phones do that too. I didn't know that you could post from a Kindle. :dunce:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:28 pm 

Autocorrect can be a funny thing! :-O

Wow! What a ride!

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ]