It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Please click here to view the forum rules

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Directors you wish to team up with Johnny
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:09 pm 

Since we have had threads on which costars and future costars you want to team up with Johnny, I wanted to know which directors either previously worked with or not have collaborated with Johnny you wish him to work with.

My pick would be Terry Gilliam, they were a formidable team when they worked on Fear and Loathing, and also the sadness of the team up on The Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus.

Also I was a little bit upset that Johnny could not do a cameo in Hugo, as I would love to see Johnny team up with Martin Scorsese on something.

So who is your choice? Would love to see your choices :grin:

Last edited by Lou Lou 63 on Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

" Some scientists refer to this as the Singularity. I call it TRANSCENDENCE." Dr Will Caster, Transcendence

"Music touches us emotionally, where words alone can't": Johnny on music.
Thanks to HG for my AVI'S

Post subject: Re: Directors you wish to team up with Johnny
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:12 pm 
JDZ Administrator

Hmm...no Gilliam for me. I just don't care for his films. Plus, his ability to finance a film is so limited. I'm going to have to think a bit, on directors I'd love to see him try. Be back later.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:52 pm 

Probably the most famous, accomplished, and awarded director in the world: Steven Spielberg.
And I agree with sleepy about no more Gilliam...please!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:57 pm 

I would love to see Johnny in a Martin Scorsese film. I would also love to see him team up with the Coen brothers.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:07 pm 

Ron Howard and M. Night Shyamalan would be my choices. I dont know why and can't explain why, just like their style.

Three is a MYSTICAL, MAGICAL number."
~~ Johnny Depp~~
 Profile WWW YIM 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:44 pm 

I did at one time think that M. Night Shyamalan and Johnny would work well together, however, the last couple of M's films were not of the same caliber as his earlier works but I am not ruling him out.
Quentin Tarantino and Johnny would be an interesting combination too.
I find Quentin's quirky adult edginess and humor creatively interesting.

"Nice to see you again!" JD NY '09

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:23 pm 

I'm in with Cyn & Johnnyblooms, Steven Speilberg first choice and M. Night. Shyamalaan second choice. Loved Sixth Sense... :biggrin:

"I like rum. Rum's good!"~~Captain Jack Sparrow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:26 pm 

Like humiliatedgrape, Martin Scorsese is my choice. He just immediately popped into my mind. It could be an interesting collaboration!

And as some of you said, don't think that Giliam would be a good choice for director. I love Fear and Loathing in LA, and I liked The Imaginarium as well, but his movies aren't so successful. And the two I mentioned are the only two of him that I like, the rest aren't so good in my opinion. :-/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:43 pm 
JDZ Administrator

I'd like to see Johnny work with a younger, sharper edged guy, maybe like David Fincher.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:49 pm 

I do love Tim Burton and I do love Johnny. I loved all the films they made together so it's Tim Burton for me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:50 pm 

Johnny already has worked with quite the list of directors... don't have anyone new rushing to mind at the moment. I can't and wouldn't want to see Johnny in a Spielberg movie, he's just too "Hollywood formula" in my opinion. But I have to second a motion for Terry Gilliam. I think his films are some of the most interesting around, and it's a real shame that he always seems to have such a hard time with financing. FALILV was a classic, and "Imaginarium" is also one of my favorite movies. I think it's a great loss that "The Man Who Killed Don Quixote" fell through back in 2001. That very likely would have been one of my favorite movies as well, as would any Gilliam fantasy starring Johnny Depp. So yeah, I'd love to see those guys work together again. And Tim Burton of course, but that one's kind of a given.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:52 pm 

sleepy wrote:
I'd like to see Johnny work with a younger, sharper edged guy, maybe like David Fincher.

A collaboration of David Fincher and Johnny could be really great.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:01 pm 

jruoss wrote:
Johnny already has worked with quite the list of directors... don't have anyone new rushing to mind at the moment. I can't and wouldn't want to see Johnny in a Spielberg movie, he's just too "Hollywood formula" in my opinion. But I have to second a motion for Terry Gilliam. I think his films are some of the most interesting around, and it's a real shame that he always seems to have such a hard time with financing. FALILV was a classic, and "Imaginarium" is also one of my favorite movies.I think it's a great loss that "The Man Who Killed Don Quixote" fell through back in 2001.That very likely would have been one of my favorite movies as well, as would any Gilliam fantasy starring Johnny Depp. So yeah, I'd love to see those guys work together again. And Tim Burton of course, but that one's kind of a given.

:ok:
Seems we have a similar taste. I like Gilliam very much.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:47 pm 
JDZ Administrator

I don't think Gilliam will happen again. He's made several statements about Johnny, more or less saying he had "sold-out," that I thought was out of place. Especially when you're discussing a friend. Sorry, but I thought "Imaginarium" was unwatchable. I agree that Spielberg is a bit predictable, but it would still be interesting to see them together. Bennett Miller, the guy who directed Pitt in Moneyball might be good. He's young and has a good reputation. I'm also very interested in seeing what comes of TLR, with Gore. To see them in a film, that's not Pirates...to see their chemistry. I was lucky enough to see him, on set, directing, and he's got a lot of energy!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:47 pm 

There's all kinds of different opinions here concerning Gilliam and his movies, so let me throw mine into the mix: I never liked or understood his movies before I got hooked on Johnny (with one exception, below) and that hasn't changed. For example, 'Twelve Monkeys' left me scratching my head from start to finish, and FALILV was torture to get through the one time I watched it (sorry to everyone who likes it), except for the enjoyment of watching Johnny of course--and one very funny scene near the beginning. I wouldn't own it on DVD if Johnny weren't in it (and I now have 2 since I just got the Criterion one).
As for Imaginarium, the only things that saved it were the brilliant, vivid performances of all involved--especially Johnny, of course (who, ME?...prejudiced?? :biggrin: )
That said, now I must give credit where it's definitely due: Monty Python and the Holy Grail (from the early 70's). Gilliam's best, IMO.

Quote:
I agree that Spielberg is a bit predictable, but it would still be interesting to see them together.

:ok: Now all that's left is deciding what kind of movie they should do together, and what kind of role Johnny would have in it....

P.S. But of course, Tim will always be my favorite director, especially for working with Johnny.

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next