It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Life Question #28 ~ Final Thoughts
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:29 pm 

Thanks for posting that link with the interview with Mick, GG. Interesting to see him--the way he looks and talks and acts--from such a recent time.
I loved the blips and blurbs shown of the video--he just never stops, does he? Like the Energizer bunny.
And I love Joss Stone's voice--she's the only singer since the 80's that I've really come to like.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:35 pm 

I suppose it depends on what kind of performance they think of doing. Touring is hard on the body and they are not young men any more. I retired at 62 and I sure can't do what I did in my 20s and 30s any more, so I have a lot of sympathy for people the age of Mick and Keith who might think of rehearsing and being away from home and all of that, even for the amount of time it would take to put on one show, not to mention the pure physicality of their performances.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:04 am 

nebraska wrote:
I suppose it depends on what kind of performance they think of doing. Touring is hard on the body and they are not young men any more. I retired at 62 and I sure can't do what I did in my 20s and 30s any more, so I have a lot of sympathy for people the age of Mick and Keith who might think of rehearsing and being away from home and all of that, even for the amount of time it would take to put on one show, not to mention the pure physicality of their performances.

Exactley, it may be they just do a few shows in one place and move on or a few club gigs or they might just decide they can't. Certainly I don't think it would be possible for them to do the massive shows they have done in the recent past, too expensive for one thing and not good in this economic climate.
At present they are at least keeping fans interested with re issues and releases of un released material. At least that is something.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:18 pm 

I certainly enjoyed the book. I have not always had something to add but have enjoyed hearing from those of you who knew a lot more of the background than I did. I really have to say about the Keith and Mick story that reading the book has not changed my feelings one way or the other about their differences. I pretty much feel the same way as I always did. As for whether they perform again, they have got together in the past without their differences hindering the music. I think they don’t have to perform anymore unless they really want to but the Stones will always be regardless. Thanks great discussion.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:37 pm 

Thanks, gemini! I think it is in their blood and they will do it as long as they can. No matter their personal differences, they have their artistic and creative pull.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:45 pm 

Let me echo gemini: thank you for the great discussion. And this goes to our moderators AND to every one of us who sits and ponders the questions asked and responds with grace and humor. I always imagine us in a circle, wooden chairs in a plain room, taking turns, wondering about things, laughing and sometimes cackling. It is the best way to be with people, to share on so many levels. May words never die.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:35 am 

I have a couple of questions: Would you want to talk with Keith, maybe over a cup of coffee? And if so, what would you want to talk about?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:08 am 

fansmom wrote:
I have a couple of questions: Would you want to talk with Keith, maybe over a cup of coffee? And if so, what would you want to talk about?

Yep, I don't know maybe I'd just let him ramble on about anything. But mostly the music I think. Although it would have to be over a nice cup of tea. :lol:

Actually I'd like to ask a question. I know some of you have seen the Stones in concert and mentioned that you bought albums quite early on but what about recently since the early 70's. I notice mostly songs are mentioned from the early stuff but nothing from the albums from the mid seventies onwards?
Also I wanted to ask one which kind of confuses me I guess and I hope isn't to pointed a question. Some ladies have stated that they are fans of Keith's but don't seem to know much about him so I'm kind of confused and just curious what they mean by being fans of his. Hope thats an OK question to ask.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:22 am 

nebraska wrote:

I'm frankly amazed they have as much energy as they do - I'm 46 and I feel 80 somedays!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:05 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Gilbert's Girl wrote:
As you know I approached the discussion with a little trepidation, but thank you ladies again for the discussion and not being to harsh on Keith :bouquet:

Just want to add this was a really interesting book discussion and the tidbits were quite different from usual becasue of the music, seemed to add a different dimension :ok:

Thanks, GG. I knew that the Noodlemantras would come through, with a heartfelt, open-minded, insightful and respectful discussion, as always. :ok:

GG, I want to answer your question regarding being a fan. I think one can be a fan in the sense that they love someone's movies, music or books. But not everyone takes it a step further to find out more (like we all did here with Johnny). They are happy to just listen, read or watch the movies. For example, I call myself a big Who fan, but I never took the time to learn more about them, beyond what happens to appear in People Magazine or on the news, etc. And I can't really tell you why I didn't, except that it didn't occur to me. This is just my opinion.

Fansmom, yes, I would like to talk with Keith over a cup of coffee. Maybe I'd probe a little more about his family. But I would only do that if it was considered an "interview." If it was just a friendly chat, I would bring up Jamaica, for sure. I'd also ask him to talk more about the technical aspect of the music and ask him to explain it to me and give me examples on the guitar.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:04 pm 

Fansmom, I'd love to talk to Keith, but for me to feel relaxed, it'd probably have to be in a car or on a boat. Doing something, you know? Then I'd ask whatever popped into my head - music, travel, boy scouts (!?). It would be too odd to "interview" him.

And GG, I think there are many different levels of fandom, ranging from the seriously obsessed to the just interested. I think you can become a less intense fan over the years, as both you and the object of your interest change, or you can expand your horizons as the person you admire branches out.

I'd be interested to hear who else you consider yourself a fan of - JD is a given for most, if not all, of us, but who else do you follow?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:28 pm 

I am a fan of Neil Diamond, I have seen him several times in live performances and would pay whatever it took to see him live again; sadly, he is touring only really large cities this time around - he will be 71 in January, so it's not surprising that he is slowing down a bit. :-/ But I can't say I am obsessed with him on any level. I tend to listen to a little more obscure music, my latest CD purchases were two by a defunct Canadian group called Tanglefoot. When it comes to television I tend to be a fan of entire shows rather than particular people, a few like 'the Middle' are on my must-see list and I can watch episodes repeatedly and still enjoy them. There are a couple of actors that I enjoy -- like Matthew Gray Gubler on 'Criminal Minds' -- and I enjoy Apolo Anton Ohno with his adorable smile, but no obsession there, either. I think Mark Harmon is really hot, but I only see him because husband is a big fan of NCIS.

I think Buster is right, as lives change and careers change, fandom can change. I was more intensely devoted to Johnny when I was younger and his films had an underground cult status; but that may be my aging as much as anything else. I just don't think I have the energy or desire to be an obsessed fan of anyone's any more, although I still always see Johnny's films and purchase the DVDs when they become available. But the excitement level isn't the same.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:28 pm 

Well Buster thats quite an interesting question as I have been seriously obscessed about Johnny obviously and Keith too and over the years I have had many people that I have felt the same way with. Keith is a returning obscession although I have always had him on the back burner kind of :lol: I do tend to get very interested in many other actors and actresses to the point of wanting to know more about them not just to admire their work. I like to read about them and read interviews etc. As for names well Viggo Mortensen was my immediate obscession before Johnny and I still keep up with what he does on the whole.There are many other I like to a slightley lesser degree but I'm sure if you asked me I could tell you something about them :lol:

I agree with both you and Liz that there are different levels of fandom, but I was just curious as people said they were fans of Keith himself but I wondered if they really meant they were fans of the Stones music more. I guess I find it hard to be just a fan of Keith and not know about him since it has been out in the public eye. Guess I'm just one of those people that always has a tendancy to want to know everything that I can about people. Maybe thats why I am a pretty obsessive genealogist too :lol:

Just like to add that Keith will be 68 tomorrow so Happy Birthday to him :ok:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:31 pm 

Liz wrote:

GG, I want to answer your question regarding being a fan. I think one can be a fan in the sense that they love someone's movies, music or books. But not everyone takes it a step further to find out more (like we all did here with Johnny). They are happy to just listen, read or watch the movies. For example, I call myself a big Who fan, but I never took the time to learn more about them, beyond what happens to appear in People Magazine or on the news, etc.

Buster wrote:
And GG, I think there are many different levels of fandom, ranging from the seriously obsessed to the just interested.

These 2 answers summed up most of what mine was going to be--even though I wasn't one of them that had said I was a fan of Keith (more on that later).
I would only add that I don't call myself a fan of someone if I'm not interested enough to find out more about them and/or determined to collect everything they produce. There have been many people I've liked/enjoyed over the years, but not enough to find anything out about them or their lives or background, or buy their stuff. There's only been a handful of people over the years that fit both, including Stephen King--I've bought every book of his that has come out over the past 35 years, and books ABOUT him too, and Barbra Streisand, and others, but none of them obsessed me to the point that Johnny did/does.
Back on topic: I wasn't a fan of any of the Stones individually, and even though they're set in stone as one of my top 5 fave groups of all time, the most I ever did was buy some of their albums and go see them in concert the one time in June 1975, which was something I wouldn't have passed up for the world. I knew slews of girls, AND guys, that were fans of Mick, but I never knew anyone that singled out Keith, to follow him and be a fan of just him. GG--your're the first that I've known of.
The only person that I ever singled out of a music group to follow and be a huge fan of was Paul McCartney, WAY back when the Beatles first came out, but that was mainly because of his looks that just melted me, and his voice and songs and that cheeky attitude! :grin:

:birthdayballoon: KEITH!!!! And many more!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:54 am 
JDZ Moderator

I just have to add that I am more likely to look up things about my favorites now that I can Google them. But still, there is the Johnny level, and then there is everybody else.

I know this probably sounds weird coming from me, having done a zillion tidbits on all sorts of people....some of them rather obscure. But that is because it adds to my (and yours, I hope) enjoyment of a book.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3  Next