It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 3 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Life Question #25 - Favorite Songs
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:48 pm 
JDZ Moderator

What are your 3 favorite Stones songs? Why?

What were the memories that this book brought back, if any?

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject: Re: Life Question #25 - Favorite Songs
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:09 pm 

3? thats impossible.

I love so many, all the ones sung by Keith obviously, You've Got The Silver, Happy, Before They Make Me Run, Little T & A, Thru and Thru then there are just so many. Midnight Rambler, Gimme Shelter, Bitch, Anybody Seen My Baby, Mixed Emotions, Stray Cat Blues, Respectable, Plundered My Soul, Dead Flowers, Prodigal Son. I think I'd better stop. :biggrin:

Not quite sure I understand the second part of your question

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:17 pm 

Midnight Rambler, Gimme Shelter, Not Fade Away. The last was my mother's favourite, she'd turn the radio up whenever the Stones were on. The first two, hard to say really, maybe remind me of when I was in last couple of years at school, that sort of time...

Memories the book brought back, that's tricky. But certainly one was the visits I have made to quite a few of the clubs they mention, a few years after of course but a lot of them were still very seedy.

Solace in the flood

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:50 pm 

OK I gotta go back to the late 1960s for mine. I'll give you two up front and then another. First two off the Let It Bleed album: Love in Vain and Midnight Rambler. Frankly this is where I truly and completely fell head over heels with the Stones, and music that took me places I don't think I'd gone before: raw and intense sounds that made you move, made you feel things right through your body to be blunt. Before that, well of course I listened to the Stones, knew all the songs that hit the charts but it was the down and dirty bluesy stuff that hold of grabbed me. So I was in college and this is what the whole gang listened to, part of a soundtrack that featured The Beatles, Captain Beefheart, The Who, The Doors, Bob Dylan, The Band, Neil Young and Crazy Horse, Flying Burrito Brothers among others. I was sharing an apartment with three other girls in the Bronx, right outside the campus, hole in the wall stuff, and the guys we hung around with all lived in the same six-person dorm. There was always music playing at both places, but as I recall it was the guys that introduced us to the bluesy edge of things, and Beefheart -- the undefinable Beefheart. As I am writing this I am seeing the albums spread out on the dorm room bed of a guy I was dating. Another guy in the suite was the fella who knew so much about old blues music. Smart as a whip philosophy major. I adore those times, we were the center of the Universe.

And then the third would be Angie. I am graduated from college and still living in the city, in a different hole in the wall 5 floor walk-up. And I hang out nights at this old bar with a tin ceiling and pool tables always occupied by some old dudes. Yeah, old mans' bar invigorated by an influx of kids like me: seeking out the atmosphere of a place hard on the 3rd Avenue EL where it deadended in the Bronx. It was a long and low building with a dark, rolling wood floor and furnishings had to be fifty years old if not more, and a great jukebox. Enter Angie. I swear I put that song on every time I hit the place. I knew the bartender; I knew half the patrons. Angie was soulful and suited the pensive mood that falls over a person sitting on a bar stool drinking a Jack and Ginger. "Angie.....you're beautiful..." The piano. At the time we thought the song was about Marianne Faithfull.

And memories that the book brought back...this time (late Sixties - early Seventies), the whole length and space of this time when I and everyone around me was on the crest of life, rolling forward. Hooked to the songs, the images of the time: the bar, the subway, the Village, the Fillmore East, Hong Fat in Chinatown, the movie theaters in the East Village where I saw so many old classics: Sergei Eisenstein, Buñuel, Fellini. And the bookstores: the old, rather dark place in the forties on the West Side that had first edition stuff and lots of other things, and then Scribner's on Fifth Avenue and another bookstore in the Village. I guess they are more personal memories than necessarily specific to Keith or the Stones, but that's what music does, it forms the backdrop of a time. You listen and it all comes back.

Last edited by fireflydances on Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:59 pm 

Quote:
that's what music does, it forms the backdrop of a time. You listen and it all comes back.

That is so true.. and also why I can't begin to pick favorites. The Stones definitely are part of the soundtrack of my life.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:07 pm 

Thats true music does remind you of times past.

Firefly that was interesting you thought Angie was about Marrianne at that time :perplexed: he was married to Bianca at that time and hadn't been with Marianne for years :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:45 pm 

I can put Gimme Shelter on loop in my car and it takes a long time to get tired of it. I think I like the sound of that powerful female voice and how she blends with Mick, and the rhythm and the guitar, and just the whole sound of that one. I think somebody used to play it on the jukebox when I would escape to a local bar with my husband after our kids were old enough to leave alone for brief periods of time, so probably late-70s early 80s-ish.

Jumpin Jack Flash just because it reminds me of how happy Whoopi made me feel in that movie......

Honky Tonk Women -- just like the harmony and the country feel....

Firefly, you have some fabulous memories! Afraid the Stones don't bring back anything like that at all for me.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:06 pm 

nebraska wrote:
I can put Gimme Shelter on loop in my car and it takes a long time to get tired of it. I think I like the sound of that powerful female voice and how she blends with Mick, and the rhythm and the guitar, and just the whole sound of that one. I think somebody used to play it on the jukebox when I would escape to a local bar with my husband after our kids were old enough to leave alone for brief periods of time, so probably late-70s early 80s-ish.

Jumpin Jack Flash just because it reminds me of how happy Whoopi made me feel in that movie......

Honky Tonk Women -- just like the harmony and the country feel....

Firefly, you have some fabulous memories! Afraid the Stones don't bring back anything like that at all for me.

:highfive:
I was never a big Stones fan, but this book has made me seek out some of their albums and listen to music other than Jumpin' Jack Flash and Satisfaction....both of which I do like.
I really enjoyed Whoopi's movie, Nebraska! :lol:

Until this book, I'm not sure I could even mention three Stones songs, so I did get educated by it. Didn't bring back any great memories for me, though.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:29 am 

I guess the book didn't bring any memories back for me either, I have read about so much about the Stones over the years so it would be hard for it to do that.
I would say though reading about Keith bust in 1977 always brings back the worry as a fan that I had back then, that not knowing if he would go to jail for years and since it was the age before we had the internet obviously and the way the media is these days it was it was a hard long wait not knowing anything.
Oh and I guess the incident with Scott Cantrell I'd kind of forgotten about that until Keith brought it up and that all came back too.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:14 am 

This is hard.
Finally decided on Sympathy for the Devil since it is iconic, and since I listened to it incessantly for years to rev me up for doing things I didn't want to do, like clean my apartment. Brown Sugar, because it's one of the best to dance to --- they played that at the Superdome for a long extended set and it drove everyone on the floor into a frenzy. And Ruby Tuesday, because I always thought they were talking about me. But it's hard to omit Gimme Shelter and Paint it Black, and a dozen others.

Rather than specific memories, the book brought me back into the sixties and seventies in a visceral way -- it was like listening to a new friend who grew up in the same time but in another place, and living it again with a new perspective.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:08 pm 

Three is tough! They have been around for so long different songs from different eras represent many different times in my life, from young girl to grown woman. If I have to pick...

Satisfaction
Honky Tonk Women
Sympathy for the Devil
Start Me Up...ooops
:grin:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:15 pm 

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
Three is tough! They have been around for so long different songs from different eras represent many different times in my life, from young girl to grown woman. If I have to pick...

Satisfaction
Honky Tonk Women
Sympathy for the Devil
Start Me Up...ooops

Start Me Up is another one I used to hear on the juke box at the bar. Always kind of liked it because of that connection and the sound of it in general.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:17 pm 

nebraska wrote:
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:

Satisfaction
Honky Tonk Women
Sympathy for the Devil
Start Me Up...ooops

Start Me Up is another one I used to hear on the juke box at the bar. Always kind of liked it because of that connection and the sound of it in general.

The original Promo video for it which is available on youtube to watch always made me laugh though :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:04 pm 
JDZ Moderator

stroch wrote:
Rather than specific memories, the book brought me back into the sixties and seventies in a visceral way -- it was like listening to a new friend who grew up in the same time but in another place, and living it again with a new perspective.

Interesting point, Stroch. I hadn't thought of it that way, but yes, this is true.

I see that you’ve all since understood the 2nd part of the question – personal memories.

For me it’s easy. It’s not that I don’t like the others. But these three songs just stand out for me. And they conjure up certain memories. Note I did not specifically ask if the songs conjured up memories, just the book. But part of the reason I like these songs is the memories they conjure up.

Paint it Black – This song conjures up my first memories of the Stones and my first memories of listening to rock and roll on the radio (I did not own the record), but the song got LOTS of air play. Although song was released here in March of 1966, I don’t think I started listening to the radio until late 1966/early 1967. So it was still getting lots of air play then. I also associate this song with the Vietnam War and the excitement of the anti-war movement.

Gimme Shelter – to me it is the theme song of a changing world in the late 60s/early 70s. I think of Vietnam immediately and all of the protests associated with it, which makes me think of the rapid social change of the times. I was in high school and just beginning to find my voice, to question/forumalte my beliefs, moral and political.

Can’t You Hear Me Knocking – Although released in ’71, I have no memories of it from that time. I associate it with Blow. However, the guitar solo is very mid ‘70s guitar, and that reminds me of my college years.

The other component to all 3 is their raw (as Firefly said) sound, that just goes right through your entire body. It gives you the shivers. The guitar on all three was just incredible (lead and rhythm). The vocals too. Shivers especially on Gimme Shelter. And you want to blast it as loud as you can.

Firefly thanks for sharing those cool memories from college & post college, and Nebraska for the juke box memories too. Yes, I too can play Gimme Shelter over and over again (as I'm doing right at the moment).

GG, I guess that would be scary to a fan, wondering if all the music would end if he ended up in jail. :-/

Endora, that’s cool that you’ve been to some of the clubs mentioned.

As far as memories from the book for me...... I would have to say that the entire book brings back many memories for me of the different time periods. As an 11 year old, I was fascinated with the English invasion – the music and the fashion. I wanted to look like Jean Shrimpton or Twiggy. I found the section on Altamont interesting. It reminded me again, of the times, and of Hunter. Those were exciting times. The sections on Jamaica reminded me of Jamaica (memories from last summer and from 1986).

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:15 pm 

I see Gimme Shelter is mentioned often , its an amazing job done by the lady singing on it Merry Clayton, you can hear a squeak in her voice as she reaches the high note and Mick's whoop of delight at it that gives me the shivers too. Live they do a much different version which although uses the backing singer Lisa Fisher who has a very powerful voice it never quite has that feel of the original studio recording. And its was Jimmy Miller's idea to use a female singer on it.

I find it quite interesting that people are taken back by the songs to certain times. I guess I don't have those types of memories because I don't remember when I first heard them and the hit songs certainly have been played on the radio as long as I can remember so they don't conjure anything particularly up at all.

Something funny though I do recall we had to analyse one of the Stones songs from Some Girls for English I can't recall which one though :lol:

also I wanted to back in the 70's buy the albums but wasn't sure I'd like them as I only had heard the hits from the Stones and nothing else and as I think I said somewhere else I didn't want my parents to know I liked them so I was hesitant about buying them so I didn't really get the chance to hear all their music until very recently when my love for Keith kicked back in :biggrin: I can remember toying with the idea of buying Sticky Fingers, that sleeve was just so intriguing back then :lol:

Page 1 of 3 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2, 3  Next