It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Life Question #16 ~ Levitation
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:38 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Hey, sorry I have been AWOL the past few days. My power and internet have been down due to major wind storms. But I’m up and running now. :bounce:

I can definitely understand what Keith is saying. This is something that I have observed with many musicians who seem to be in the zone, as it were. Johnny looks like he’s there while he’s playing also.

I have also felt what I would call the same thing, which is similar to listening to music, as Firefly points out, but takes it a step further. This is not from playing music, but from dancing to it, and mostly from choreographing moves to it. I used to be a dance aerobics and cardio funk/hip hop instructor back in the 80s and 90s. And I was very much into music back then……mostly in the 80s. It is something that is very hard for me to express because it was more something I felt. But I think it has more to do with the music than it does with the dancing. The music inspired me to create moves that complimented the music – much more so in the 80s than in the 90s. And my classes were not typical of most aerobics classes back then because of this. I guess you could call my class interpretive aerobics. And it wouldn’t be, here’s some moves I want to do, let me see if I can find a song to go with them. It would be about me hearing a song on the radio or on MTV and thinking, I love this song, and I have to make up a routine to this song. And then add that I was sharing these routines with others, and they were doing it with me, sharing in the music. As much as I liked teaching cardio funk in the 90s, I really missed the music of the 80s because it spoke to my heart and body more – it was more emotional for me.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:20 pm 

I know what you mean here Liz....

I used to dance (ballet and modern) when I was young, and then in the 80's I regularly attended aerobics - I just always loved movement and music. Even now I will have a boogie around my kitchen if a favourite song comes on the radio :lol: . I think music is one of life's great joys, sometimes I'm so moved by it will make me cry. Some songs - Joy In Repetition by Prince, the intro. to Gimme Shelter by the Stones and various others just make me shiver. I'm in awe of musicians - it is a great gift.

"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness" - John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

**Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar**! !

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:47 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Hey Jackslady, I used to be a HUGE Prince fan. I think I had a routine for every track on Purple Rain. I've lost track of him since those days. But I'm listening to Joy in Repetition right now. I LOVE IT. Thanks for turning me on to it. :applause:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:50 pm 

I've had those moments dancing at concerts,where the music goes on and on and you just lose yourself in the movement and the beat, or listening to something and being swept away mentally. Just a few days ago, however, I was at a school event where the marching band performed in a small space, and I found myself sort of in the line, with the drums on the left and the tubas on the right; the horn section in front. It was joyous and overwhelming to be so surrounded by that pulsating wall of sound, I can well understand the transcendance musicians feel. What a gift to be able to spend your life doing that!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:04 pm 

How fun!!! :yahoo:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:36 am 
JDZ Moderator

stroch wrote:
It was joyous and overwhelming to be so surrounded by that pulsating wall of sound, I can well understand the transcendance musicians feel. What a gift to be able to spend your life doing that!

I totally agree. If we could all have jobs like that. Sigh.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:21 am 

Quote:
I found myself sort of in the line, with the drums on the left and the tubas on the right; the horn section in front. It was joyous and overwhelming to be so surrounded by that pulsating wall of sound

Yep. That's where you'll find me tonight, actually, though the horns will be a little to the right, and the tuba will be in my lap...

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2