It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Life Question #4 ~ Old Haunts
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:29 am 
JDZ Moderator

Theresa wrote:
hmm, I can't think of anyplace that I'd consider an 'old haunt' from childhood.

Well, that's pretty boring!

I can't say that I did as a child either. My haunts were from college on....

Gilbert's Girl wrote:
Theresa wrote:
My parents still live in the house I grew up in, so I go there every week or two. I guess I drive by my schools several times a week, since I still live in the same city...hmm, I can't think of anyplace that I'd consider an 'old haunt' from childhood.

Well, that's pretty boring!

My parents have just moved back here today after 30 years so I think its going to be weird for them, not that they haven't visited me here before but living here will take some getting used to again.

How far away were they before they "moved back here," may I ask?

Jackslady, my sympathies to you for the loss of your parents. When you mentioned how the landscape has changed you reminded me of how heartbroken I was over the Oakland Hills fire and how it has changed its landscape. That happened 20 years ago last month, and it still makes me feel melancholy even though it was 6 miles from my house. That was my favorite part of Oakland and I spent some good times there. Speaking of Google, in this case maps, I just now plugged in my address and voila, there’s my house – a picture of it – wow! I wasn’t even on satellite mode. And it looks pretty nice in this pic….much better than last time I drove by. Thanks for making me look.

I can’t relate to the “giant” issue as my parents lived in my childhood home up until I was 30, but I’ve loved reading the descriptions of those who have had that issue.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:11 am 

They have been living out in the country so about 20 or 30 miles from here, just has got to remote.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:38 am 

I live in the same city that I went to college in, not the town where I was born. Most of my old childhood haunts have been rebuilt. My elementary schools (two of them), my junior high and even my high school have been demolished and rebuilt. I did get to go back while my brother was going there (high school) for two more years so got to talk to some of my former teachers and play around in the band room. Seems I was some kind of a legend in the drum section. (I was a drummer!) The house were I lived until I was five still exists but I have not driven by it in 30 or so years. I did get to revisit the next home we lived in until I was 11 years old often as my parents made friends with the new owners and we socialized with them on holidays and whatnot. The husband was an architect and made some very cool design changes to what was already a unique home. The last childhood home is gone, demolished for a subdivision. My old colleges are unrecognizable as well. The 4-year University is so large now, it's 4th in the nation in size. When I last visited it, I got lost. :hypnotic:

Profile WWW YIM 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:05 am 

I guess I forgot this but my kids went to the same Primary School that I went to they even had the same classrooms once or twice, that was strange going back in there, but after a while it didn't seem so, again the rooms seemed smaller and it didn't have the same air of intimidation :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:09 am 

I've lived here my whole life. My grade school and high school were closed many years ago for budget cuts. Now they've reopened the high school under a different name. :rolleyes: Nope, can't go back again.
My college is here, too. I haven't been back since I graduated....no reason to go.

It is funny though, that I do dream of these places from my childhood. It's always some weird dream where I'm with my friends from high school, but we are at my college (which they didn't go to), etc. The people and places get all mixed up. That's what wakes me. :lol:

I sit in bed thinking, "Why would he be in my 7th grade class? I didn't meet him until I was 20?" :perplexed:

Then I can't get back to sleep. :-/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:20 pm 
JDZ Moderator

moviemom wrote:
I did get to go back while my brother was going there (high school) for two more years so got to talk to some of my former teachers and play around in the band room. Seems I was some kind of a legend in the drum section. (I was a drummer!)

I'm assuming in a good way? :lol: I think there is a story here.

SnoopyDances, I dream about my past in the same way. Dreams are weird.
:perplexed:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:26 pm 

Thanks, Liz. For those who are a bit nervous about returning for a look at a previous home, Google Earth is excellent..it means you can have a look without the full on emotional confrontation of a real life visit. Based on how I felt when looking at the pictures, I know I wouldn't want to go back now in reality. I think perhaps I'd feel differently if I had children and grandchildren, because I might have wanted them to see where I grew up. As it is, I'd just be looking back alone, and I don't think there would be much fun in that!

"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness" - John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

**Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar**! !

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2