It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




 Page 2 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Life Tidbit #5 ~ A Trip Back In Time
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:45 am 
JDZ Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Posts: 12513
Location: The Left Coast
fansmom wrote:
Gilbert's Girl wrote:
Its funny I think the only thing people really know or remember about Mods and Rockers is that clash on Brighton Beach.
The film Quadrephenia is worth watching probably to get a feel of them.I've only seen it once and it was a long time ago.
My daughter and I may have walked on the beach quietly chanting, "We are the mods, we are the mods" (from Quadrophenia) when we were in Brighton years ago . :whistle:

Mom and Daughter time doesn't get much better than that.

Loved Quadraphinia! That was the first I had ever heard of the mods and the rockers. I agree that there is a similarity to 80s bands.



_________________________________________________________
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Life Tidbit #5 ~ A Trip Back In Time
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:47 am 
JDZ Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Posts: 12513
Location: The Left Coast
Theresa wrote:
nebraska wrote:
Gilbert's Girl wrote:
The British invasion seems funn because otehr than the Beatles and the Stones not many other bands really made it big in the US did they?

Maybe it was considered an "invasion" in the sense that it was a fairly large number of bands whose influence came over. I didn't realize how many of the bands I listened to as a teenager were British until I looked it up at Wikipedia, although I also was a fan of many American performers as well.

There were quite a few that I can remember (from later....I wasn't quite old enough during the actual time period). The Hollies, Herman's Hermits (I loved them), Lulu, The Yardbirds, Chad and Jeremy, Petula Clark, The Animals...and that's just the ones that I can name offhand.

I was fans of many of these listed. I was very obsessed with England at the time.



_________________________________________________________
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Life Tidbit #5 ~ A Trip Back In Time
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:12 am 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:14 am
Posts: 149779
Location: UK
Liz wrote:
Theresa wrote:
nebraska wrote:
Maybe it was considered an "invasion" in the sense that it was a fairly large number of bands whose influence came over. I didn't realize how many of the bands I listened to as a teenager were British until I looked it up at Wikipedia, although I also was a fan of many American performers as well.

There were quite a few that I can remember (from later....I wasn't quite old enough during the actual time period). The Hollies, Herman's Hermits (I loved them), Lulu, The Yardbirds, Chad and Jeremy, Petula Clark, The Animals...and that's just the ones that I can name offhand.

I was fans of many of these listed. I was very obsessed with England at the time.

:lol:

Looks like that tidbit on the British Invasion could be quite interesting and very nostalgic for many of you :ok:
As I said I always got the impression from things I've read down the years that it was hard going for bands to make it big over there whereas bands from the States always made it big in the UK, maybe that was later and not so in the 60's :ok:


Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Life Tidbit #5 ~ A Trip Back In Time
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:20 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:25 am
Posts: 3385
Liz wrote:
Theresa wrote:
There were quite a few that I can remember (from later....I wasn't quite old enough during the actual time period). The Hollies, Herman's Hermits (I loved them), Lulu, The Yardbirds, Chad and Jeremy, Petula Clark, The Animals...and that's just the ones that I can name offhand.

I was fans of many of these listed. I was very obsessed with England at the time.


Don't forget Gerry and the Pacemakers! Ha, funny to think their name is a medical device now--heart pacemakers weren't even thought of yet back then. They had 2 huge hits: Ferry Across the Mersey and Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying. And that's just off the top of my head, without googling or wiki-ing them.
And the aforementioned Yardbirds later congealed into one of the top 5 greatest bands of all time--Led Zeppelin--another Brit band that 'invaded' the States a bit later than those others...1969 I think it was...which I was very glad of--I've worn out many of their records and tapes and CD's over the years.



_________________________________________________________
We have almost come to expect from Johnny Depp performances that are better than they have to be. ~Stephen Daly
He doesn't belong in show business...he belongs somewhere better. ~Sarah Jessica Parker :heart2:
Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Life Tidbit #5 ~ A Trip Back In Time
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:53 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:14 am
Posts: 149779
Location: UK
Cyn wrote:
Liz wrote:
Theresa wrote:
There were quite a few that I can remember (from later....I wasn't quite old enough during the actual time period). The Hollies, Herman's Hermits (I loved them), Lulu, The Yardbirds, Chad and Jeremy, Petula Clark, The Animals...and that's just the ones that I can name offhand.

I was fans of many of these listed. I was very obsessed with England at the time.


Don't forget Gerry and the Pacemakers! Ha, funny to think their name is a medical device now--heart pacemakers weren't even thought of yet back then. They had 2 huge hits: Ferry Across the Mersey and Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying. And that's just off the top of my head, without googling or wiki-ing them.
And the aforementioned Yardbirds later congealed into one of the top 5 greatest bands of all time--Led Zeppelin--another Brit band that 'invaded' the States a bit later than those others...1969 I think it was...which I was very glad of--I've worn out many of their records and tapes and CD's over the years.

Well thats certainly so of Jimmy Page not sure any of the others were in the Yardbirds.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Life Tidbit #5 ~ A Trip Back In Time
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:59 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:25 am
Posts: 3385
Gilbert's Girl wrote:
Well thats certainly so of Jimmy Page not sure any of the others were in the Yardbirds.


Right, which is why I just used the lazy term of 'congealed into'. :lol:
Didn't feel like researching it and going into detail but I knew the Yardbirds = LZ somehow. :-) That always has stuck in my brain because I used to love the Yardbirds' Over Under Sideways Down and You Just Keep Me Hangin' On. But maybe I got that wrong too, lol..this was all a VERY long time ago when I had those 45's.



_________________________________________________________
We have almost come to expect from Johnny Depp performances that are better than they have to be. ~Stephen Daly
He doesn't belong in show business...he belongs somewhere better. ~Sarah Jessica Parker :heart2:
Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Life Tidbit #5 ~ A Trip Back In Time
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:07 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:14 am
Posts: 149779
Location: UK
Cyn wrote:
Gilbert's Girl wrote:
Well thats certainly so of Jimmy Page not sure any of the others were in the Yardbirds.


Right, which is why I just used the lazy term of 'congealed into'. :lol:
Didn't feel like researching it and going into detail but I knew the Yardbirds = LZ somehow. :-) That always has stuck in my brain because I used to love the Yardbirds' Over Under Sideways Down and You Just Keep Me Hangin' On. But maybe I got that wrong too, lol..this was all a VERY long time ago when I had those 45's.

Yeah I'm not actually that fmailiar with the Yardbirds music, but I used have a book called Pete Frame's family trees which had just about every conceiveable permutation of every band and how they formed, reformed and became whatever band they becamse etc all very complex but that is how I learned about various bands and their members.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Life Tidbit #5 ~ A Trip Back In Time
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:49 pm 
JDZ Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:27 pm
Posts: 6602
Location: Indian Territory
Quote:
Looks like that tidbit on the British Invasion could be quite interesting and very nostalgic for many of you
As I said I always got the impression from things I've read down the years that it was hard going for bands to make it big over there whereas bands from the States always made it big in the UK, maybe that was later and not so in the 60's



When the "invasion" began (big time, in Feb. '64) it was like an avalanche. From that point on, for a couple of years, if you weren't a British goup, you couldn't get arrested. It really stalled the careers of many American acts. I loved it all. Remember Peter and Gordon? Peter was Beatle Paul's girlfriend's(Jane Asher) brother. The Beatles wrote a few songs for them. Peter later became a big time rock producer. The first time I saw the Stones on tv (Ed Sullivan) I was horrified. It took a bit to warm up to them. Now, years later, I find myself listening to the Stones more than the Beatles. Although I did just get a George Harrison cd that I love. He was my favorite. The British "invasion" was a very exciting time. Music was stale here, and it was a huge shot in the arm.



_________________________________________________________
Funny ol' world, innit?
Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Life Tidbit #5 ~ A Trip Back In Time
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:27 pm 
JDZ Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:08 pm
Posts: 17644
Location: Canada
I loved George Harrison's All Things Must Pass. That was back in the day when music came on an album. I used to love the artwork on album covers. Not much room on cd's for anything like that now.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Life Tidbit #5 ~ A Trip Back In Time
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:44 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:25 am
Posts: 3385
Yes, so true...I used to look more forward to seeing the album covers and backs--and sometimes there would be inside pages or folding 4-sided albums (like the original Woodstock)--than I did to hear the music on them.
I still have my entire album collection from those years--about 500 of them.



_________________________________________________________
We have almost come to expect from Johnny Depp performances that are better than they have to be. ~Stephen Daly
He doesn't belong in show business...he belongs somewhere better. ~Sarah Jessica Parker :heart2:
Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Life Tidbit #5 ~ A Trip Back In Time
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:36 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:15 pm
Posts: 20823
Location: near Omaha
I am always surprised how many people here at the Zone mention that George Harrison was their favorite Beetle. He was mine. :heart: Quite, rough around the edges. In many ways he reminds me of the videos I have watched of the young Keith Richards. Anyway, everybody seemed to just love Paul who was supposed to be the cute one, and John was supposed to be this super musician or something, and then there was Ringo......but not many in those days shared my passion for George. It is good to be among friends. :cool:


Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Life Tidbit #5 ~ A Trip Back In Time
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:49 pm 
JDZ Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:27 pm
Posts: 6602
Location: Indian Territory
My son is a huge music fan. He has started collecting LP's again. I got him a turn table last Christmas. He probably has rounded up around 100 LP's. He always loved the album covers, too. He grew up in the 80's and 90's...the MTV era. Weren't George and Keith both married to Patti Boyd? That's an interesting side story.



_________________________________________________________
Funny ol' world, innit?
Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Life Tidbit #5 ~ A Trip Back In Time
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:48 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:25 am
Posts: 3385
sleepy wrote:
He grew up in the 80's and 90's...the MTV era. Weren't George and Keith both married to Patti Boyd? That's an interesting side story.


That's when my sons grew up too.

And no--that was Eric Clapton, not Keith.



_________________________________________________________
We have almost come to expect from Johnny Depp performances that are better than they have to be. ~Stephen Daly
He doesn't belong in show business...he belongs somewhere better. ~Sarah Jessica Parker :heart2:
Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Life Tidbit #5 ~ A Trip Back In Time
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:49 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:43 pm
Posts: 10377
Location: Austin
I still have my album collection as well, now combined with that of my dh. Lovely, lovely works of art, musically and artistically. Back in the 80's one of our high school neighbor kids used to come over to our house and borrow our albums. He called us members of the "rock and roll generation". At the time it made me feel sort of old but now it just makes me feel :goodvibes: Both Eric Clapton and Pattie Boyd have bios out as well and are interesting reads.

sleepy, you definitely need to check in on tomorrow's tidbit!



_________________________________________________________
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!
Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Life Tidbit #5 ~ A Trip Back In Time
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:47 pm 
JDZ Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:27 pm
Posts: 6602
Location: Indian Territory
My sister had all our old LP's. I remember her grandson finding them and asking her what they were! My sister passed away a couple of years ago. She loved the Stones, especially Keith. When this book came out, I couldn't help but think how much she would have loved it...

Oops, I mixed up the Patti Boyd husbands!



_________________________________________________________
Funny ol' world, innit?
Offline
 Profile  
 
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


phpBB skin developed by: John Olson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group