It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Q&A with A.C. Crispin - #3
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:17 am 
JDZ Moderator

ONBC: I love that the book gives us two stories in one with the flashbacks to Jack's life and adventures at Shipwreck Cove. Was it difficult to keep track of all the plotlines? How much planning did you do before you actually started writing?

Ann: I did a lot of planning. I had to submit three outlines to Disney for the studio liaison to read. The liaison turned down the first two. They were detailed outlines, about 50 single-spaced pages each. The liaison didn’t object to the storylines, so much as he objected to Jack being shown as a pirate, stealing for a living. (If you think about it, you’ll realize POTC never does show any ships being boarded and their cargo taken, as real pirates would have done.) The liaison also didn’t want the stories to be too close in time to the films, though we only learned that later. So finally the liaison said, “write the story of Jack in Africa, working for the EITC, the one that ends with his bargain with Davy Jones.” So that’s what I did. The details of how this came about were up to me. In order to get permission to start writing, I produced a 70+ page single-spaced outline, giving all the plot details.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject: Re: Q&A with A.C. Crispin - #3
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:42 pm 

This is so interesting! Goodness, I am in awe that you can plan out an entire story in advance, well, two stories in one actually!

I have read Stephen King's "On Writing" and in it he, equally amazingly, says he never does any planning at all...just lets it all flow on from the first page of writing.

Perhaps writers just have to find what works best for them? But in this case I can see now that the story had to fit the various criteria set by Disney.

I had actually never noticed before that we don't actually see any "true pirating" in the films!! :-| :lol:

"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness" - John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

**Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar**! !

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:50 pm 

Jackslady wrote:
This is so interesting! Goodness, I am in awe that you can plan out an entire story in advance, well, two stories in one actually!

I have read Stephen King's "On Writing" and in it he, equally amazingly, says he never does any planning at all...just lets it all flow on from the first page of writing.

Perhaps writers just have to find what works best for them? But in this case I can see now that the story had to fit the various criteria set by Disney.

I had actually never noticed before that we don't actually see any "true pirating" in the films!! :-| :lol:

Me either, Jackslady! What an interesting observation.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:47 pm 

Alas, I have noticed and lamented this omission. Just once, I'd like to see Jack engage in some "true pirating". I get that these are Disney films and family oriented and all. But gee whiz....on the ride they are attempting to blow up the fort, burn down the village, rob the town folk, sell the women as....ahem....slaves, and in a drunken stupor, they end up trying to kill each other. But we don't dare suggest that Jack might actually do some pillaging and plundering. :perplexed:

The book is fantastic, but it would have been interesting to read the story Ann originally proposed. ;-)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:55 pm 

historicalpassion1 wrote:
Alas, I have noticed and lamented this omission. Just once, I'd like to see Jack engage in some "true pirating". I get that these are Disney films and family oriented and all. But gee whiz....on the ride they are attempting to blow up the fort, burn down the village, rob the town folk, sell the women as....ahem....slaves, and in a drunken stupor, they end up trying to kill each other. But we don't dare suggest that Jack might actually do some pillaging and plundering. :perplexed:

The book is fantastic, but it would have been interesting to read the story Ann originally proposed. ;-)

Well we do see Barbossa doing most of those things in CoTBP. :lol: Our Jack is said to have sacked a town without firing a shot. :grin:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:46 pm 

I am so impressed Ann that you were able to write such a wonderful story (or 2) within the guidelines that Disney gave you. Your perseverance is to be admired. Surely Disney did realize that Jack was a pirate!! :harhar:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:58 pm 

historicalpassion1 wrote:

I am with you historical passion. :highfive: This has bothered me before and I do understand that the censure is because Disney is for young entertainment. I still love a true pirate film and a bit of reality would have been nice. I do see what a challenge Ann had in writing about a story that had to fit in with the films. Yes Jackslady, at least Stephen King is pure fiction and can write what he likes. There are obviously pluses in writing about an established story but as we see there are minuses too. I also would like to have seen some of Ann’s proposals.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:19 pm 
JDZ Moderator

:welcome: to ONBC, historicalpassion1.

I guess it never really hit me that Captain Jack never really does anything typically pirate in the films. But it is alluded to. I'm thinking that might be part of why I like him so much. He's basically a good man.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:24 pm 
JDZ Web Designer

Liz wrote:
:welcome: to ONBC, historicalpassion1.

I guess it never really hit me that Captain Jack never really does anything typically pirate in the films. But it is alluded to. I'm thinking that might be part of why I like him so much. He's basically a good man.

:highfive:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:13 am 

I found amusing the notion of Jack stealing as a bad idea to the studio liaison. What about in PoTC: CoTBP?
He "commandeers" a ship! :lol:

Profile WWW YIM 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:26 am 

moviemom wrote:
I found amusing the notion of Jack stealing as a bad idea to the studio liaison. What about in PoTC: CoTBP?

Good point. We also see him stealing items.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:22 am 

shadowydog wrote:
moviemom wrote:

But in a lighthearted cute sort of way.......somehow it never seems criminal when he does it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:13 am 
JDZ Moderator

nebraska wrote:
shadowydog wrote:
moviemom wrote:

But in a lighthearted cute sort of way.......somehow it never seems criminal when he does it.

Well, that is Jack's charm. :capnjack:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:17 am 
JDZ Moderator

Jackslady wrote:

And I about fell over when I read that the outline was 70+ pages long. Is it still an outline at that length? :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:27 pm 

I heard an author today quote Robert Frost when she was asked if she outlined her novels in advance: “No surprise in the writer, no surprise in the reader.”

She went on to say, though, that she'd written a piece for an anthology that required an outline, and that, after preparing the outline, the actual writing was the easiest she'd ever done--but she still prefers not to outline. :eyebrow:

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next