It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: A Fierce Invalids Quote
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:13 am 

Quote:
Because the CIA is an extremist organization that has the unusual ability to function outside the compromising channels of normal political and commercial restraint, it has the potential to kick out the blocks here and there and help the world to happen.

Sounds an awful lot like a quote from another CIA agent we all know and love, doesn't it? He sets 'em up and watches 'em fall!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:24 am 

Ahh, the love Sheldon Jeffrey...livin' la vida loca! :mort3:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:31 am 

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
Ahh, the love Sheldon Jeffrey...livin' la vida loca! :mort3:

....and engaging in creative sportsmanship!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:12 pm 
JDZ Moderator

.......and restoring the balance.

But now I'm a little off balance. :drool:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject: Re: A Fierce Invalids Quote
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:54 pm 

lumineuse wrote:
Quote:
Because the CIA is an extremist organization that has the unusual ability to function outside the compromising channels of normal political and commercial restraint, it has the potential to kick out the blocks here and there and help the world to happen.

Sounds an awful lot like a quote from another CIA agent we all know and love, doesn't it? He sets 'em up and watches 'em fall!

Speaking of which, does anyone else think that Johnny should have given Robbins a little more credit in the creation of Agent Sands? I know he has recommended Fierce Invalids numerous times and acknowledges Robbins in that way but you just know Sands' Judy Garland fetish and his prissy mannerisms had to come from Switters. (I remember Johnny talking about Sands's secret life, i.e., fondness for musicals, etc. and Robert Rodriguez saying that one of the changes Johnny made to RR original character was to have him never curse and to be a bit of a sissy - in my mind like Switters and his refusal to think about bodily functions, etc.). I'm not criticizing Johnny. It's just that I can see alot of Switters in Sands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:06 pm 

I see a lot of Switters in Sands, too. But I've never heard Johnny mention where he got his inspiration for Sands at all - not the way he has Inchabod and Ed Wood, for example. It would be ineteresting to know what components he put together for THAT character. Gosh, I just love Sands!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:27 pm 

lumineuse wrote:
I see a lot of Switters in Sands, too. But I've never heard Johnny mention where he got his inspiration for Sands at all - not the way he has Inchabod and Ed Wood, for example. It would be ineteresting to know what components he put together for THAT character. Gosh, I just love Sands!

lumineuse - I believe he said part of his inspiration was a lawyer he once had who could look you in the face and lie the biggest lie but be so charming that you couldn't help but like him anyway. But other than that, I agree with you, I'd love to know more. (As a lawyer myself, I should realize that he probably can't attribute Sands in any real way to the Switters character without the studio "suits" getting all nervous :-) ).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:49 pm 

Quote:
lumineuese wrote: I see a lot of Switters in Sands, too. But I've never heard Johnny mention where he got his inspiration for Sands at all - not the way he has Inchabod and Ed Wood, for example. It would be ineteresting to know what components he put together for THAT character. Gosh, I just love Sands!

Switters in Sands? Definitely! I wonder if Robbins and Johnny have ever talked? You are right about this being one character we haven't heard Johnny talk about much. Scarlett, I remember the lawyer quote too but don't remember where I read it either. I just love that Sands too! :cloud9:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:01 am 
JDZ Moderator

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
Quote:
lumineuese wrote: I see a lot of Switters in Sands, too. But I've never heard Johnny mention where he got his inspiration for Sands at all - not the way he has Inchabod and Ed Wood, for example. It would be ineteresting to know what components he put together for THAT character. Gosh, I just love Sands!

Switters in Sands? Definitely! I wonder if Robbins and Johnny have ever talked? You are right about this being one character we haven't heard Johnny talk about much. Scarlett, I remember the lawyer quote too but don't remember where I read it either. I just love that Sands too! :cloud9:

I think it was on E News just before OUATIM came out. He also talked about how much fun it was, asking RR for more scenes. Also in that interview he was being non-committal about being cast for Willy Wonka. There were so many times I saw Sands in Switters. I could just hear him speaking the lines in the book.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:01 am 

Well, the more I read "Johnny's recommendations" the more I pick up phrases, bits, pieces of spoken Johnny. I've read that he keeps a journal and writes down things he reads that he likes. I was thinking last night as I was highlighting yet another interesting passage in one of "his" books, that it would be alot easier for me to write it down in a journal so I could refer back to it instead of trying to figure out which book I read it in.

As you may know, I am still struggling through "Dante", but in the last dozen or so pages I have read many passages relating to "breathing".

...and then just recently we discussed a Robbin's interview where it sounded an awful lot like thats darn "dumb puppy" interview.

I'm beginning to see a pattern.

Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination. Devour old films, new films, music, books, paintings, photographs, poems, dreams, random conversations, architecture, bridges, street signs, trees, clouds, bodies of water, light and shadows. Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic. Authenticity is invaluable; originality is nonexistent. And don’t bother concealing your thievery—celebrate it if you feel like it. In any case, always remember what Jean-Luc Godard said: “It’s not where you take
things from—it’s where you take them to.” - Jim Jarmusch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:07 am 

I don't know if you all read this essay, which was posted on another thread, but it puts forth an interesting viewpiont on Johnny's acting which I think is in line with what we are talking about here.

http://johnnydepp-zone.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=10492

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:49 am 
JDZ Moderator

Charlene wrote:
Well, the more I read "Johnny's recommendations" the more I pick up phrases, bits, pieces of spoken Johnny. I've read that he keeps a journal and writes down things he reads that he likes. I was thinking last night as I was highlighting yet another interesting passage in one of "his" books, that it would be alot easier for me to write it down in a journal so I could refer back to it instead of trying to figure out which book I read it in.

As you may know, I am still struggling through "Dante", but in the last dozen or so pages I have read many passages relating to "breathing".

...and then just recently we discussed a Robbin's interview where it sounded an awful lot like thats darn "dumb puppy" interview.

I'm beginning to see a pattern.

Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination. Devour old films, new films, music, books, paintings, photographs, poems, dreams, random conversations, architecture, bridges, street signs, trees, clouds, bodies of water, light and shadows. Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic. Authenticity is invaluable; originality is nonexistent. And don’t bother concealing your thievery—celebrate it if you feel like it. In any case, always remember what Jean-Luc Godard said: “It’s not where you take
things from—it’s where you take them to.” - Jim Jarmusch

David Koepp, director and screenwriter of SW, said that you have to watch what you you do around Johnny because he's a mimic. It is possible that he takes what he likes and makes it his own--like how he views religion....and acting.

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]