It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next
 Post subject: TPOF of Freedom Question #25 ~ Overall Impressions
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:10 am 

What were your overall impressions of the story and the book?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject: Re: TPOF of Freedom Question #25 ~ Overall Impressions
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:44 pm 
JDZ Web Designer

I would have been quite happy if it had continued for another five or six hundred pages. I really enjoyed it...in fact, I've already read it through twice!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:54 pm 

I agree with Theresa. I would have loved for the book to go on and on. I thought it was very well crafted and enjoyable. It is obvious the amount of thought and research Ann put into creating such a vivid story. Her characters were very well-developed; Jack, Esmerelda and Ayisha were especially real for me. I really enjoyed the book.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:11 pm 

I adored it! It's been the icing on the cake for me, following the four films. I always longed to know more of Jack's history, and to read a story that was more appealing to me as a female reader, than the children's books which were all we had before. I shall definitely be reading it again (probably several times!).

I was so impressed with the intricate story and how well Ann had married the PotC flavour to her own very original storyline. It can't be easy to get into the skin of a character who has been initially created by others. I loved how she presented Jack as a man with heart and room for a little romance in his life now and again. I particularly enjoyed his romance with Esmeralda, and found their scenes together very appealing. The love scenes were beautifully written.

I treasure the book and it has pride of place on the bookshelf near to my computer.

Thank you so much, Ann. :thankyou: I look forward to your replies to our questions!

"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness" - John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

**Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar**! !

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:26 pm 

I approached this book with trepidation because it could so easily have been a Disney attempt to grab money with the POTC name but no substance. I was wrong. The book was very well written and a pleasure to read, with lots of intricate plot ties to the movies while staying true to every detail. I, too, look forward to Ann's answers to our questions and I am so glad she was able to take part in much of our discussion.

Now.......I am just hoping she gets to write another book that gives the answers to so many unanswered questions, perhaps a prequel to POF.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:54 pm 

When the ONBC decided to take on TPOF I ordered the book and was just going to be a silent observer. I thought it would be another milking of the popularity of POTC. Was I ever wrong!!! Within a few pages I was hooked and could hardly put the book down. Ann did a beautiful job of giving a backstory of Jack and what made him into the Capt. we have come to admire and love. Great job Ann!! And thanks for you input to our discussions.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:14 pm 

This book was an absolute treasure in its own right but to find all the history behind Jack was a bonus and I could have gone on reading it forever. This is one book which can be read time and time again. Thank you Ann for this masterpiece :bouquet:

Quote "" you mean our grandchildren"

:paint: My Art Gallery
 Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:48 pm 

It was a great book! I thoroughly enjoyed it and was sorry to see the story end. :loveshower:

Thanks Ann! You did a marvelous job creating Jack's story.
Drinks all around!
:toastingpirates:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:03 pm 

We may like getting dissenting opinions for the sake of a lively discussion, but you're not going to read one from me. I found the book to be very well-written, and as others have said, the work and thought that Ann put into it was evident. Plus it was a lot of fun!

It was the first book that I've bought for my Nook. (I have over 100 books on it, but all of the others were free, mostly through Project Gutenberg and some of Barnes and Noble's 1.8 million free titles.) I enjoyed having it on the Nook, especially for the convenience of being able to search for keywords, but I do kind of wish I had a hard copy to put on my (overflowing) bookshelves.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:47 pm 

It was great fun! For a fan of the movies and CJS it was great fun to find a little tidbit, or even a bigbit, that maybe only we would get, as it were. A phrase, a gesture, a :cool: yup, that is Captain Jack Sparrow or another familiar character. Ann did an excellent job researching and following the POTC code. Drinks all around! :toastingpirates:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:41 pm 

Definitely a very enjoyable read. Like Nebraska I was quite leery, and very pleased that not one of my concerns proved to case. More than anything I found the book a sort of chance to dive deeply within the POC story. The movies are wonderful but they fly by and leave a person rather thirsty for what happened before, and what did he think, and where did he go when he turned the corner. Good story!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:32 am 

I just couldn't put it down! The entire book was fun to read. I'd read some of Ann's previous works, and had liked those. As soon as I could pre-order TPoF from Amazon, I did.
Having a backstory for Captain Jack fills in the "blanks" in the movies quite nicely.

Profile WWW YIM 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:28 pm 

Having read Ann's Han Solo novels, I had the feeling that the book would be very good indeed. I think Disney found the perfect writer to take on our Captain! :-) :capnjack:

"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness" - John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

**Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar**! !

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:48 pm 

I absolutely loved TPOF and was very sad to reach the end. It was fascinating to read Jack's story that Ann had created. I loved every page.

Ann - Thank you so much for a wonderful book. :thankyou:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:18 pm 

Let's hope this isn't the only POTC book Ann is going to write. Is it just me or did anyone else want to give Teague a good hiding - the way he treated his son was appalling. It did set things up for AWE and OST though - in the movies it seemed Teague turning up to save the day was his way of trying to make it up to Jack.

One more thing
Spoiler! :
I found Esmeralda more sympathetic and likeable than Angelica.

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next