TPOF Question #15 - Captain Barbossa

by A.C. Crispin

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

TPOF Question #15 - Captain Barbossa

Unread postby Liz » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:17 pm

How is it that Captain Barbossa turned out to be Jack’s first mate on the Black Pearl when he had previously been a captain of his own ship and was introduced to Jack as such? What do you think really happened?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

fansmom

Re: TPOF Question #15 - Captain Barbossa

Unread postby fansmom » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:11 pm

I don't know about the reason for those two, but my husband has sailed as both a mate and a captain. He prefers being the chief mate because there's less paperwork and fewer personnel hassles.

I'm pretty sure that's not the reason for CJS and Barbossa, though.

Does someone more inventive than I care to answer? :biggrin:

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:52 pm

The Pearl was amazingly fast and truly cool-looking and I think Barbossa wanted her. Don't forget, he had lost his ship and men to the rogue pirates, so he was a captain without a vessel or crew. I think he managed to appeal to Jack's soft heart with a sob story that would get him on board as first mate. Once there, he worked and finally turned the other pirates against Jack to lead the mutiny that ousted the captain from the Pearl.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:08 am

That sounds like a plausible explanation, T. :cool:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

moviemom

Unread postby moviemom » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:27 am

Barbosa had lost his ship and Jack needed a first mate. I surmise that he went to Tortuga to avoid Captain Teague in order to crew his ship and ran into Barbosa there. Jack may not have known many of the pirates there, and probably wanted to avoid the ones he knew prior to his stint with the EITC. Barbosa no doubt agreed to help, hiding his motivation from Jack after learning that he was seeking the lost treasure of Cortez and knew the bearings.

It is a curious thing to me that Barbosa (in the movies) also thought of the Pearl has his ship.
The year's no doubt, have changed me, sir. -- Sweeney Todd
My flickr page

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:56 am

All plausible explanations. We certainly know Barbosa always had his own agenda!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:45 pm

Oh yes. I imagine Barbossa went looking for another ship and crew, but found Jack with a ship instead.

Jack would have trusted him and appreciated having him for a first mate. Barbossa, of course, was a pirate first and saw an opportunity to gain Jack's ship, crew and future treasure. :ok:

Jackslady

Unread postby Jackslady » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:12 pm

The book seems to suggest that initially Jack was quite impressed with Barbossa, and admired that he had a charisma and gravitas that perhaps Jack hoped to emulate one day.

I agree, I think Barbossa had his eye on the Pearl and coveted her for himself.....as to why he thought of her as being "his" ship, perhaps, being a pirate, he felt that possession is always nine tenths of the law. ;-)
"Easy on the goods darlin!"

"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness" - John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

**Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar**! !

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:58 pm

As said - Barbossa was a Capt. without a ship or crew and Jack needed an experienced first mate. Seemed like a good fit. But I feel Barbossa from the begining had his eye on the Pearl to be his own. Another example of Jack being young and too trusting.

Return to “The Price of Freedom”