Tim Powers Q&A #16

Moderator: Liz

ONBC Moderator

Tim Powers Q&A #16

Unread postby Liz » Fri May 20, 2011 10:26 am

ONBC: William Ashbless? I see you and your college friend James Blaylock seem to have access to your own fictional poet. I see he has been a character as well as quoted in your books. I suppose you are tired of answering questions about him. Any comment?

Tim: Blaylock and I made up Ashbless in college, as a pen-name under which to send pretentious poetry to the college paper, and then when we started writing novels, we both put him in -- which baffled an editor we happened to both submit books to at the same time! Now Ashbless is sort of a good-luck charm -- I put some mention of him into every book, though lately I've translated his name into other languages, so he might be something like Wilhelm Ashesegnen.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Re: Tim Powers Q&A #16

Unread postby gemini » Fri May 20, 2011 9:53 pm

He is certainly a versatile fellow. From a 19th century poet, to his own Memorial cookbook. You and Blaylock have your own cult figure. :cool:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

JDZ Webmaster

Re: Tim Powers Q&A #16

Unread postby Theresa » Sat May 21, 2011 12:26 pm

Having just finished "The Anubis Gates," I find that Mr. Ashbless figured quite prominently in that story. Nice to hear you've put a bit of him in all your books. And I like the idea of hiding him in a translation of his name...kind of a 'hide and seek' for your readers!

Return to “Tim Powers”