It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:35 pm 
JDZ Moderator

suec wrote:
I also think it is important that Today is Tomorrow can’t be bought.

:ohyes:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:30 pm 

Quote:
SueC wrote: I do agree that the marketplace has invaded our lives. Try avoiding advertising when the T.V. is on. ...I think it is quite significant that Robbins quotes from Huxley’s Brave New World. Switters thinks, “And the message, no matter how entertainingly couched, is invariably the same: to be special, you must conform; to be happy, you must consume”.

My husband and I went to see a movie on Saturday and we were talking about how the commercials have taken over the preshow. There are more commercials and visuals brought to you by whatever company than trailers anymore. Remember when there weren't any commercials at the movies? Okay, I know, I'm old... Good point about Brave New World and consumerism. We get closer every day! :-/ Oh yeah, and then there was the guy on tv this morning that is auctioning off advertising space on his forehead.... :banghead:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:35 pm 

Gypsylee wrote:
I agree. Holidays is my example. When you find Christmas decorations in stores in October........ Creating new holidays to sell product. I don't think I need to delve into it any further because I am sure you know what I am talking about. You'd have to stay out of stores and not watch TV to avoid it all.

I had no electricity during all the storms in California one day this month. What to do........couldn't work (office in home/internet, etc.) so I walked to the top of a big hill (wasn't raining at the moment) and soaked up the view. I have lived here 7 years and never walked up that hill before. No TV, no lights, you have to be creative with your time and I actually enjoyed the time with my son. We lit a lot of candles and talked and laughed.

You have to cut yourself off from the media/marketplace occasionally to get in touch with yourself/family.

I LOVE that, Gypsylee! What a great story.

I agree with all of you and have little to add. You've all given great arguments.
There is a great book that addresses this issue, especially from a writing/publishing point of view. It's called Mao II by Don DeLillo. It explores mass consciousness, society's preoccupation with celebrities and the homogenization of art/culture.
As for reality shows, they are the death of decent television. :yuck: What spooks me is that they wouldn't have such a prominent place in our media if there weren't so many people watching them! Why are people so fascinated with this garbage?

suec wrote:
Quote:
I also think it is important that Today is Tomorrow can’t be bought.

Fantastic point! Symbolically speaking, perhaps he represents spirituality (and his curse on Switters, the trials every human endures in life to grow spiritually) - spiritual enlightenment cannot be purchased, only earned. Not only is it free (economically,) sometimes humans resist the real thing! No amount of money placed in a collection plate will relieve a person of the hardships of their own particular journey. (Or maybe I've just gone off on a tangent and I'm way off base. :blush: )
There is a lot to think about from this scenario. It says a lot about organized religion and the role money plays within these organizations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:57 pm 

My goodness, Abigail, I think you just solved the whole point of the story! :cool:

Your observations are absolutely brilliant! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:00 am 

Oh I'm not sure about that, nebraska. :blush:
But I'm glad you find some value in it. Thank you.
I confess, I read FI so long ago, that sometimes it's hard for me to remember the details to take part in the discussion. I had hoped to re-read it, but I've had too much reading for my courses, I haven't had time. I wouldn't have remembered the significance of the passage without SueC's reminder. Thanks Sue!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:29 am 
JDZ Moderator

abigail wrote:
I confess, I read FI so long ago, that sometimes it's hard for me to remember the details to take part in the discussion.

Could have fooled me, Abigail.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:04 am 

Liz wrote:
abigail wrote:
I confess, I read FI so long ago, that sometimes it's hard for me to remember the details to take part in the discussion.

Could have fooled me, Abigail.

:lol: Okay, another confession:
I don't have the book to refer to, I read a library copy. My trick is to go on Amazon, and sometimes they have the "Search inside this book" feature. So I've searched for passages when my memory fails me. --The poor college student's approach to Book Clubbing!

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2