It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next
 Post subject: FI Question #16: In the time of your life, live!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:36 am 

Robbins wrote..."Everybody on earth, unfortunately, is prepared for death, but very few are prepared for life." (pg. 302) Do you agree or disagree? How do you prepare for life?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:49 am 

I came across this quote this morning and thought it fit so well with this question I had to share:

Quote:
"Let us endeavor to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. " ~ Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens), from Pudd'nhead Wilson's Calendar (1894)

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:45 pm 

Are we really prepared for death? I know some of us fight all the way 'till death, my mother was a prime example. After she was diagnosed with cancer , that brave woman did everything possible to make her quality of life better including cornea transplants and other surgeries that didn't relate to her illness. She fought kicking and screaming!
I wish more people were prepared for life, the world would be a much better place, all the pettiness and jealousy would diminish , we would be working to make life better for all of us. How do we do this? "In the time of your life, live!" Be in the moment, don't dwell in the past, you can't change it. Make peace with it somehow. Don't worry about the future, all the energy we waste on worry would be better spent now , improving things now. Open yourself to all the possibilities life throws your way. If you're lonely or depressed, volunteer somewhere, schools, hospitals , senior services all need help. Bored? Go explore how someone else sees the world and their lives. Through understanding comes peace.
Yesterdays question about End of Time, Today is Tomorrow, also made me think of that quote " In the time of your life, live!" This is the time we are given, make the most of it that you can! :soapbox: :twocents:
axelsgirl

Post subject: Re: FI Question #16: In the time of your life, live!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:49 pm 

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
Robbins wrote..."Everybody on earth, unfortunately, is prepared for death, but very few are prepared for life." (pg. 302) Do you agree or disagree? How do you prepare for life?

Prepare for life by living every minute of it. Take chances and risks and dare to be different. Notice every little thing around you and learn things from it. Don't live for a tomorrow that may never come.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:11 pm 

Gypsylee wrote:

Prepare for life by living every minute of it. Take chances and risks and dare to be different. Notice every little thing around you and learn things from it. Don't live for a tomorrow that may never come.

I agree gypsylee ~ don't wait for tomorrow thinking you've got all the time in the world. Life is fleeting sometimes and we just never know, do we? I think Johnny is a good example of being someone who can live in the moment and appreciate it for what it is. I also agree with axelgirl ~ there is no reason to be bored, ever. I hate when my kids say they are bored. There is always something to learn about and discover. To me, being bored means being lazy. Get out and live in the world. Don't just be a casual observer of life.

"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:49 pm 

Quote:
axelsgirl wrote: I wish more people were prepared for life, the world would be a much better place, all the pettiness and jealousy would diminish , we would be working to make life better for all of us.

So true! Imagine what things could be accomplished. It has been so heartwaming to see the good that has has come from the disaster of the tsunami. How people from so many different places have banded together to make a difference for those who lost everything is inspirational. Too bad it takes something bad to make us sit up and take notice of those less fortunate that need our help every day.

Quote:
gypsylee wrote: Prepare for life by living every minute of it. Take chances and risks and dare to be different. Notice every little thing around you and learn things from it. Don't live for a tomorrow that may never come.

Quote:
luvdepp wrote: I hate when my kids say they are bored. There is always something to learn about and discover. To me, being bored means being lazy. Get out and live in the world. Don't just be a casual observer of life.

I agree! There is so much to be gained from keeping ones eyes open and learning new things. :-O I have certainly found that to be true as I travel down my Johnny road! I have someone in my family who worries constantly about all the bad things that could happen instead of realizing all the good that we are surrounded with. No way to go through life!

Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:03 pm 

My first thought when I read your question is something that I have heard from different people when they talk about Johnny. they say that when you talk to him he gives you his total attention. I think that is something that is so important in life to just give yourself totally to the moment.

I wrote something down the other night while reading Shantaram. In the book Lin is having lunch with about 5 people. the one person asked to order lunch for everyone. He ordered salad, dinner & dessert. Lin's thought to himself was this:

"I knew it would be a long lunch. I relaxed and let myself drift in the flow of fine food & conversation."

How many times do we get stressed for time or something that delays you or is unexpected stresses you out. To be able to just go with the moment & appreciate it for what it is, focus completely on what is going on & shut out the rest of the world. Enjoy just being.

another quote from Johnny: Breath, We tend not to think much about it. Each one is a blessing - Every inhale, every exhale.

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:46 pm 
JDZ Moderator

luvdepp wrote:
I also agree with axelgirl ~ there is no reason to be bored, ever. I hate when my kids say they are bored. There is always something to learn about and discover. To me, being bored means being lazy. Get out and live in the world. Don't just be a casual observer of life.

I never understand how people can be bored. I know we all have things we have to do, and sometimes they may be boring--like cleaning toilets. :yuck: That I do understand. But I don't understand people who sit around doing nothing and say they are bored. There are so many things I enjoy doing that are within my reach that I couldn't possibly find the time to do them all. My kids can get bored so easily. I agree with Cindy that it is because they are lazy. But I also think a big part of it is that they don't have the vision or open mindedness to consider possibilities outside the realm of their usual activities. I also think it is because they have too much stimulation in their lives--maybe due to the pace of life in this day and age, as V pointed out. And in that regard, this fast pace of life can be a detriment because we never have to time to stop and smell the roses. :chill:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:03 pm 

Liz wrote:
I never understand how people can be bored. I know we all have things we have to do, and sometimes they may be boring--like cleaning toilets. :yuck: That I do understand. But I don't understand people who sit around doing nothing and say they are bored. There are so many things I enjoy doing that are within my reach that I couldn't possibly find the time to do them all. My kids can get bored so easily. I agree with Cindy that it is because they are lazy. But I also think a big part of it is that they don't have the vision or open mindedness to consider possibilities outside the realm of their usual activities. I also think it is because they have too much stimulation in their lives--maybe due to the pace of life in this day and age, as V pointed out. And in that regard, this fast pace of life can be a detriment because we never have to time to stop and smell the roses. :chill:

I don't necessarily think kids are lazy, per se. But I do agree with you that in our modern culture, they expect to be constantly entertained at a frantic pace. I remember Johnny talking about Charlie Chaplin and how he took so much time with one comedic scene, the building up to it.....and how you just can't take that time anymore. People are too impatient. to get to the punch line. Hurry, hurry, hurry. And now that I think about it, maybe kids need to be bored once in awhile and forced to think creatively and not have someone or something (tv, video games, ect.) constantly entertaining them. I just have very little patience for that "I'm bored" whine. :banghead:

"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:23 pm 

Quote:
veronica wrote: My first thought when I read your question is something that I have heard from different people when they talk about Johnny. they say that when you talk to him he gives you his total attention. I think that is something that is so important in life to just give yourself totally to the moment.

I wrote something down the other night while reading Shantaram. In the book Lin is having lunch with about 5 people. the one person asked to order lunch for everyone. He ordered salad, dinner & dessert. Lin's thought to himself was this:

"I knew it would be a long lunch. I relaxed and let myself drift in the flow of fine food & conversation."

How many times do we get stressed for time or something that delays you or is unexpected stresses you out. To be able to just go with the moment & appreciate it for what it is, focus completely on what is going on & shut out the rest of the world. Enjoy just being.

I work with someone who has the greatest gift for listening that I have ever seen. Whenever you talk to him he gives you his full and undivided attention. No looking over your shoulder or out the window, he just looks right at you and listens to everything you say. It really makes you feel validated when someone does that, especially in a busy work environment and it is something I strive to be better at.

One of my greatest pleasures is to sit around the dinner table with good friends after dinner is over and finish the bottle of wine and just talk to each other and enjoy each other's company. As you said, enjoy just being and enjoy the moment.

Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:37 pm 
"A bored person is a boring person," we always say. I agree with you Liz, that sometimes we have to do things that may not excite us, but it is important to learn how to do even those mundane tasks with a certain degree of joy. I have always so many more things I want to do than time to do them in, and that is good.

I think that infants and very young children do always live in the moment and that somehow we learn how not to do that. We are, by our parents, teachers, society, too often warned to not take risks, to be cautious and not make mistakes. I know for myself that even at this stage of my life, it is not the things I did that I have regrets over, but things I didn't do. We need to "unlearn" being too careful. "Better safe than sorry," I think, is not what we should teach our children, but rather take chances, make mistakes, screw up once in a while.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:21 pm 

I think that to prepare for life, you have to be open to all that life has to offer you. In order to do that, you have to overcome your fear.... fear of failure, fear of change, fear of being alone, etc.. You cannot be free in life until you can overcome your fear.

I also think that people tend to believe that the reality they perceive is the only one that exists. To be free in life, you have to learn to suspend the judgement of your own reality and be open to the realities of others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:38 pm 
JDZ Moderator

deppdreamer wrote:
"A bored person is a boring person," we always say. I agree with you Liz, that sometimes we have to do things that may not excite us, but it is important to learn how to do even those mundane tasks with a certain degree of joy. I have always so many more things I want to do than time to do them in, and that is good.

I agree that we need to try to make the best out of a boring situation. There have been many times that I have been bored in situations where I felt hostage--social situations, usually. So what one needs to do is try to make the best out of the situation with whatever resources you have. For example, I learned a long time ago to bring a book with me when I have to wait for kids in the car or at doctor appointments.

deppdreamer wrote:
I think that infants and very young children do always live in the moment and that somehow we learn how not to do that. We are, by our parents, teachers, society, too often warned to not take risks, to be cautious and not make mistakes. I know for myself that even at this stage of my life, it is not the things I did that I have regrets over, but things I didn't do. We need to "unlearn" being too careful. "Better safe than sorry," I think, is not what we should teach our children, but rather take chances, make mistakes, screw up once in a while.

I think that kids are protected--protected from life--failure, sorrow, the world around them. I know I was and have protected mine to a certain extent. If you are not exposed to adversity, how do you grow up? If you have a perfect childhood how do you learn to deal with failure or tragedy when you get older. If everything is handed to you, you don't know how to work for it. Independence increases self-esteem, and suffering builds character. And taking risks can open up so many possibilities.

So I guess I do agree with Robbins that many of us are not prepared for life. But I don't agree with him on death. I am not prepared for death--mentally, that is. Nor is anyone in my family. I can't speak for the rest of the world, but I have a feeling we are not alone.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:41 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Larkwoodgirl wrote:
To be free in life, you have to learn to suspend the judgement of your own reality and be open to the realities of others.

I like that, Larkwoodgirl. :cool:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:27 pm 

I never understand how people can be bored. I know we all have things we have to do, and sometimes they may be boring--like cleaning toilets. :yuck: That I do understand. :[/quote]

A lot is perception, I think. Are you familiar with the FLYlady, who has a website and sends out daily messages teaching the organization-challenged among us how to get our homes and lives in order? One of FLYlady's things is that she refers to 'blessing' your home -- don't think of it as cleaning a toilet, think of it as blessing your family. She also says things like "nothing says loving like clean underwear and plenty of toilet paper." Much different from thinking of myself as a martyr forced to do housework!

Maybe much of life is that way. We are prepared to die because in the end, none of us have a choice, we will all die. but we have big choices to make about whether we will really live or just survive. I do agree to an extent with the Robbins quote.. It gave me chills the first time I read it.

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next