All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: ATLA Question #29 ~ The Movie
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:27 pm 
JDZ Moderator

gemini wrote:
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
Very nice job, indeed! Don't get me wrong, I'm all for historical accuracy. The missing Barrie brother and the Dillinger movie about drove me 'round the bend. I would like to see the story of Nelson and Simone portrayed accurately but I can't decide how and when in their relationship it should end.

Yes, They did send me around the bend. :banghead: :tommygun: The inaccuracy ruined Dillinger for me and I was so looking forward to it. :sigh:

Round the bend twice for me. But I did appreciate the scenes being filmed at Little Bohemia. That was special. Unfortunately, it was what happened subsequent to that that really ticked me off. But I've gone too far, I'm afraid.

I like your idea for the beginning, gemini. I think that is perfect.

Fansmom, as you live in the TZ, I'm feeling very hopeful at this moment.
:pray:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:31 pm 
JDZ Moderator

nebraska wrote:
I am chomping at the bit and biting my tongue because I am pretty sure the casting of Simone and Algren for the movie is going to be another question. :banghead:

Well, guess what, nebraska, the last question is tomorrow. And that's not it. So GO FOR IT!

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:16 am 

nebraska, chomp no more. Actually you raise a great question.

(One your modertors didnt' think of but probably should have! :dunce: )

We are working on the assumption here that Johnny would play Nelson and Vanessa would play Simone. So if that were to fall through and the movie was still to be made, who would you cast?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:21 am 
JDZ Moderator

Now that is a question I hadn't thought of, DITHOT.....But a very good one! :thumbsup:

Right at the moment I cannot think beyond Johnny for an actor to portray Nelson (gee, wonder why :bigwink: ) BUT I think that Cate Blanchett would be an excellent Simone.

I need to think some more on this.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:25 am 

Liz wrote:
nebraska wrote:
I am chomping at the bit and biting my tongue because I am pretty sure the casting of Simone and Algren for the movie is going to be another question. :banghead:

Well, guess what, nebraska, the last question is tomorrow. And that's not it. So GO FOR IT!

I think Johnny is a perfect Nelson Algren! I would SO love to see him in this role - gritty, earthy, a little bit of bad boy, compassionate, interested in life and people, struggling, romantic. The photos of Johnny in the white tank-tee have always stirred me up emotionally, and I have seen photos of Nelson in similar apparel and I can definitely see Johnny "becoming him". I have seen two of Vanessa's movies and looked at hundreds of photos; she has the same chameleon-like quality that Johnny does, ten different photos may show ten different women. She has the charisma that must have made Simone irresistible. With Johnny and Vanessa we have an American man and a French woman with intense chemistry between them. I think that makes for perfect casting. I don't know how much English Vanessa speaks -- does she do interviews in English? Simone must have spoken English when she was with Nelson since he didn't know French; but then, Vanessa must be able to speak a bit of English by now having been with Johnny so long.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:48 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Nebraska, I agree that Vanessa is really a perfect actress for the role.

So what about casting others like Nathalie Sorokin, Lanzmann, Olga, Michelle Vian? I think these could be in the movie. Who am I missing?

How 'bout James Spader for Sartre?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:04 pm 

Yes Nebraska, Vanessa speaks English very well. I also think she would make a great Simone. Vanessa often wears her hair up and could wear that style Simone had. She has that beautiful neck that Johnny fell for and with a little brown hair coloring she could have the look. Van may have to work at the pouty expression but she is tiny and slim like Simone. I agree too that Johnny could do Nelson very well, even the tough guy attitude they say he had, and still portray the feeling guy underneath. Oh Yes, I love James Spader and he would be a great Sartre. Actually I thought James Spader was really good looking when he was young but now they could easily make him look like Sartre. He’s a bit too tall but I don’t think they make them as tiny as Sartre anymore.

I doubt the women would all have parts but if they did…..
For Bianca I think Natalie Portman
Drew Barrymore would make a good Olga
Charlize Theron for Wanda
Cameron Diaz for Nathalie
Toby McGuire, a little scruffy, might make a good Bost, It would be hard to find someone to look a lot younger then Vanessa.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:07 pm 

Interesting choices. I am wondering how many outside characters they will include. I would think Sartre for sure (how about Phillip Seymour Hoffman?).

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:11 am 

fireflydances wrote:
Would love to read that play that I mentioned the other night, Susman I think it was (Algren& Simone) -- what does he have them say to each other. I can't find the script online.

If you have an extra $25 to spend the DVD of that play is for sale on the Nelson Algren Committee site.
"John Susman's Nelson & Simone" It's a ways down the page.

Dithot said
For Sartre how about Phillip Seymour Hoffman?
He would be a good Sartre too. They have Gary Houston playing Sartre in the play. He is a ringer. Look at his picture on the cover of the DVD in the ad.

edit to add, I think they may be casting Gary Houston as Algren after thinking about it. He looks like Sartre to me but SImone said they were both blond and wore glasses so ?

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:02 pm 

Gemini said:
Quote:
If you have an extra $25 to spend the DVD of that play is for sale on the Nelson Algren Committee site.
"John Susman's Nelson & Simone" It's a ways down the page.

:rolleyes: Ah, would that I had a spare $25 somewhere in the lining of my pockets. But thanks for the thought. :ok:

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2