It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next
 Post subject: ATLA Question #29 ~ The Movie
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:45 am 

How would you like to see their story treated in the movie?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject: Re: ATLA Question #29 ~ The Movie
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:08 pm 

Since movies don't always follow the book very well, I would like to see the movie show their story as a fun and beautiful romantic tale. If it stayed too close to the truth, it could become kind of a downer.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:45 pm 

Yeah, now that we know how it really ended...I'm sort of hoping they focus on their first meeting and their first trip together. I just hope they don't fictionalize the later years too much. I would rather they ignore them and end it on a happy note. Or maybe a voiceover of each of them reading a letter of memories.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:26 pm 

I was kind of hoping it would be reality-based. I base this on a vague feeling that Johnny finds Algren an interesting and neglected writer, and also his tendency to stick true to people who are 'real' -- honoring them by attempting to come as close as possible to their real selves. I read somewhere he was researching Algren when in Chicago doing Public Enemies (perhaps I spin this stuff in my head however). But we know his agent has contacted Art Shay so I am not completely deluded. In any case, I want the real people and the real story. It is a good story because of the tension between the two, the sexual tension and then the tension regarding freedom vs. commitment and what that means. I would also like it to remain as unresolved as it stands for us now -- did she really continue to love him etc.

With all the movie deals he seems surrounded by lately I am wondering if this will not come to fruition afterall. I thought it would be such an interesting vehicle for both of them -- I simply love the idea of them neither being perfect.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:41 pm 
JDZ Moderator

I would like to see it told truthfully, but with care and understanding. I would like it to show that things aren’t always black and white, people are not perfect, life isn’t fair. Yeah, it will be a downer told truthfully. But at least it will be honest.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:31 pm 

fireflydances, Finding Neverland strayed quite a distance from the facts but nevertheless was a lovely movie. (although those who know me well know how much I complained about the movie being half fantasy ) I am sure Johnny studied JM Barrie closely and brought him to the screen as close to true character as he could. I believe he could also portray Algren faithfully without having to drag in all the sordid details about Simone and Sartre etc.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:50 pm 

I guess they'll have to decide why they want to tell the story before they consider it's focus. I really don't see lots and lots of details in this movie though -- it's a dance right? Two people who are drawn together then unable to remain together for a variety of reasons, but it's the dance that's the draw, not the details. Anyway, I always trust JD really -- and I love how he spins things in ways we never considered.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:54 pm 

I think Nebraska and Dithot are going to get their wish. The film could easily be a happy love story because they actually were in love and their last parting was amiable. The bitter parts came later after they were never to see each other again. That could be included as an ending note when the cast is shown.

As for my opinion. I am with Liz and fireflydances. I always want films about real people to be true. Too many people get their history from films. True films should be educational as well as entertaining. If you only want entertainment, there are plenty of fictional films. As Liz says life is not always black and white. I prefer honesty but I think it could be done without making the film a downer. I would rather they leave some details out, rather then change them.
Nebraska said she didn’t want them to drag in all the sordid details. I don’t think they will. Most of Simone’s sordid life was not at the same time as she was seeing Algren so they will likely leave it out. They may include Nathalie as a friend because she visits Algren when Simone was there. I do think they will have to include Sartre to explain Simone’s reasons for leaving Algren but they would not have to go into all the details.

Fireflydances said
I want the real people and the real story. Me too! I don’t think they are going to make an adult film though because PG has better ratings.
As for Johnny, He has made films that are not true to life, like Finding Neverland because he does it for the entertainment. If his company is producing it I am counting on a little bit of spice.

Last edited by gemini on Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:17 pm 
JDZ Moderator

I don't think that they have to include the sordid details from Simone's past to keep the story accurate. Nor does it have to be beyond PG-13. The letters were very clean in that regard. It can be a romantic story, focusing on their travels together, their writing, maybe some funny incidents (like the woman from the mental institution that wouldn't leave when Simone was visiting Algren), his lifestyle in Chicago, the house on Forest, her lifestyle and scenes in Paris, that kind of thing.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:18 pm 

Gemini says (echoing Nebraska):
Quote:
As for Johnny, He has made films that are not true to life, like Finding Neverland because he does it for the entertainment

Yeah, I didn't read Lost Boys but I sure did read all the noodlemantras' posts on the subject -- not that it helped me one whit! :dunce: So, ok maybe he will fiddle with facts. But, but...I really think the story of Simone and Algren is a good one, lots of drama, tension etc. If it's just a happy love story about two writers meeting, eh?

PG rating, yeah I agree. It doesn't really need R to be a good story, also think it would become perhaps a bit too voyeuresque if there is too much skin. I think they are both great actors and both characters have depth, lots of angles etc.

I am sitting here imagining different ways to do this: concentrate on the beginning of the relationship; flit through their lives capturing moments that kind of distill them and how they changed in front of each other; the book has Simone's POV but the movie could change that, and finally, there is a lot 'dark' about this period in time post war, McCarthy-era stuff, Algeria, etc. so playing up the times might be interesting too.

Would love to read that play that I mentioned the other night, Susman I think it was (Algren& Simone) -- what does he have them say to each other. I can't find the script online.

I can't imagine anything more fun than reading a book, getting interested in a writer and then being able to create a movie that fleshes out your imagination, and and - acting in it. Nice job huh?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:49 pm 

Very nice job, indeed! Don't get me wrong, I'm all for historical accuracy. The missing Barrie brother and the Dillinger movie about drove me 'round the bend. I would like to see the story of Nelson and Simone portrayed accurately but I can't decide how and when in their relationship it should end.

Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:40 pm 

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
Very nice job, indeed! Don't get me wrong, I'm all for historical accuracy. The missing Barrie brother and the Dillinger movie about drove me 'round the bend. I would like to see the story of Nelson and Simone portrayed accurately but I can't decide how and when in their relationship it should end.

Yes, They did send me around the bend. :banghead: :tommygun: The inaccuracy ruined Dillinger for me and I was so looking forward to it. :sigh:

For ATLA, I am picturing a flash of an old Algren saying how annoyed he is that Simone made their affair public. (They don’t have to get bitter with the details). Then the film flashes back to a young Simone getting off the plane to tour the US the first time, falling in love etc. They could progress to his last trip to Paris where she sees him off happy that their affair ended well.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:00 pm 

Personally, I would like to see large portions of it filmed in Morocco, where Simone and Algren visited together. And I would like those bits to be filmed in late April 2011, and the stars should go to Casablance, Fez, Marrakesh, Rabat and Ourzazate.
Oh, is that not quite the answer you were looking for? :whistle:

(Have I mentioned where I'll be next April?)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:23 pm 

Liz wrote:
I don't think that they have to include the sordid details from Simone's past to keep the story accurate. Nor does it have to be beyond PG-13. The letters were very clean in that regard. It can be a romantic story, focusing on their travels together, their writing, maybe some funny incidents (like the woman from the mental institution that wouldn't leave when Simone was visiting Algren), his lifestyle in Chicago, the house on Forest, her lifestyle and scenes in Paris, that kind of thing.

Yes, Liz, this describes just how I would like to see the movie done. :cool:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:25 pm 

I am chomping at the bit and biting my tongue because I am pretty sure the casting of Simone and Algren for the movie is going to be another question. :banghead:

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next