ONBC Contest Answers

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

ONBC Contest Answers

Unread postby Liz » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:55 pm

Below are the answers to the contest questions and the explanations thereof.

Interestingly enough, some of you picked answers, while even though incorrect, did make a lot of sense. :thumbsup: We tried to think all of these through, but you all are just so creative! In fact, we thought many of the answers were too obvious and easy, but I think it is because we are so invested in each and every book that it is hard sometimes to look at it from a different perspective. We apologize for making you scratch your head too hard! :perplexed: Thanks so much to everyone for playing along! :highfive: Hmmm...what can we do next year...a 1,000 word essay...Yes! That’s it! :giddy:

So without further ado, here are the answers. The books are alongside the clues in blue and the explanations are directly underneath. Note that on some there is no explanation because it will be obvious once you read the name of the book.

1. Sunday, Monday "..." Tuesday, Wednesday"..." :sing: Happy Days
The theme song from the television show "Happy Days"

2. Yellow Journalism The Rum Diary
Yellow Journalism is defined as a type of journalism that downplays legitimate news in favor of eye-catching headlines that sell more newspapers. Sometimes it deceives the audience it is intended for. ... (e.g. the article that Kemp was asked to write about the resort on Vieques.)

3. Green Day Song The Time of Your Life
From Green Day's song, "I Hope You Had the Time of Your Life"

4. Free Falling A Long Way Down

5. A Tale of Two Realities Parallel Worlds

6. Bad boys, bad boys...whatcha gonna' do when they come for you? Public Enemies
This is the theme song from the television show "Cops". The word "boys" is a plural suggesting more than one, as opposed to just Dillinger.

7. A Ghost in the Courtroom Sweeney Tood, The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
The ghost in the courtroom appears only in the book, not in the movie.

8. Guinness, anyone? The Ginger Man
The most famous brewery in Ireland (mentioned a few times in the book)

9. ImageThe Bomb in My Garden
The picture is a lotus tree. In the book the bomb making plans are hidden in a garden under a lotus tree.

10. Relax! Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates
The parrot's favorite saying...”Peeple of zee worl', relax!”

11. Chips, Kisses & Bunnies Chocolat
All things chocolat and also the imaginary friend in the book.

12. All's fair in love and war The People's Act of Love
A love story that takes place during the Russian Revolution.

13. Locked in The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
The name of the syndrome Bauby suffers from.

14. How it all began Secret Window, Secret Garden
The very first discussion on ONBC

15. Lovebird Inamorata
Inamorata is defined as a female lover or love interest; the pigeon played a major role in the story (and is depicted on the book cover)

16. You will not like me The Libertine
From the opening monologue

17. The Answer is Blowing in The Wind Ask the Dust
Get it? :lol:

18. Everybody Wants to Rule the World Good Omens
The story was a battle for mankind.

19. Chasing the American Dream Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Why they went to Las Vegas, in search of the American Dream

20. All Aboard! The Invention of Hugo Cabret

21. The devil is in the details The Club Dumas
He was searching for details in the wood carvings to summon the Devil.

22. Blue Ice The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters
“Blue glass” would have been too easy. ;-)

23. A Brother's Tale Loser's Town
A novel by brother, Daniel Depp

24. A Knight in Shimmering Armor What's Eating Gilbert Grape
Momma's immortal line

25. Babes in Toyland Attica
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Re: ONBC Contest Answers

Unread postby fireflydances » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:11 pm

Cool! Thanks. I can even see where I made things harder for myself than they had to be! But it was so much fun.

Would love to know more about the creation of ONBC and whether you ever thought you'd be doing this for seven years. I find it amazing, online -- where things are so notoriously impermanent. I know JDRs has a book club but never entered that particular door.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:25 pm

firefly, I don't think we ever envisioned any timeline for ONBC. We just knew it was something we wanted to keep going once the site moved to the current location and we have just been keeping on, keeping on ever since thanks to Johnny's inspiration, our wonderful hosts and the creative input of our Noodlemantras!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:51 pm

Thanks!

(Clearly I don't know enough Green Day. I thought of Boulevard of Broken Dreams, and that concept fit several of the books we've read.)

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:30 am

fireflydances wrote:Would love to know more about the creation of ONBC and whether you ever thought you'd be doing this for seven years. I find it amazing, online -- where things are so notoriously impermanent. I know JDRs has a book club but never entered that particular door.

The original ONBC moderators were me and Tansy, joined by Karen. When Tansy and I started it, I thought we'd be discussing just one story--Secret Window, Secret Garden. But she enlightened me that Johnny was really into books, and I saw that this was going to last a little longer than I had originally thought. Then 4 books later Tansy felt she had to leave due to time constraints and Karen went on to found JDR. And the rest is history..... :biggrin:

Firefly, I’ve always made things harder than they had to be.

Fansmom, the only Green Day song I know is Boulevard of Broken Dreams too. Actually, “remember” is a more operative word than “know” because there was a time that I knew more of their songs due to my daughter.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:45 am

Oh That’s a lotus tree? The only thing I could think of was apple blossoms. :harhar:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

stroch

Unread postby stroch » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:49 am

I thought it was a cherry tree--the river's name.
I'll buy you the hat....a really big one.
St. Roch -- patron saint of pilgrims

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:42 am

And I thought the tree was one of the easier ones! :blush:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:15 pm

I thought #15 referred to the character of Finch. Right answer, just a different meaning for the clue.

I switched The Club Dumas and Good Omens in my answers; I still think those two could go either way, but agree the mod's answers are more correct.

I used a combination of google, archives, memory, puzzle-solving, and old fashioned luck to get my answers. Would you believe I didn't know there was a musical group named "Green Day" until I looked it up -- I was looking for an anthem for Earth Day :blush: -- but I found the group, then a list of their songs, and the answer was right there!

It was a clever and difficult quiz. I would expect nothing less from DITHOT and Liz! :cool:

stroch

Unread postby stroch » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:23 pm

I went with I, Fatty for Yellow Journalism because of the connection to the Hearst newspapers, and I could swear I remember Crowley saying "the devil is in the details" in Good Omens. I also had "All aboard" pegged to fear and Loathing for a while -- "Buy the ticket, take the ride."

A really good contest because so many of the clues could have applied to more than one book, but one answer has the closest association. Makes me feel sorry for my students when I give them same kind of test.
I'll buy you the hat....a really big one.

St. Roch -- patron saint of pilgrims

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:07 pm

SATs and drivers tests come to mind. :banghead: Sorry, guys. :shy:

I, Fatty had never occurred to me, but when you bring up Hearst, it makes sense.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:45 pm

Liz wrote:SATs and drivers tests come to mind. :banghead: Sorry, guys. :shy:
The SAT and driver's tests, though, are factual things that one can study for. Trying to figure out if Ask the Dust and "Blowing in the Wind" are related in the minds of our moderators is another thing entirely!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:56 pm

fansmom wrote:
Liz wrote:SATs and drivers tests come to mind. :banghead: Sorry, guys. :shy:
The SAT and driver's tests, though, are factual things that one can study for. Trying to figure out if Ask the Dust and "Blowing in the Wind" are related in the minds of our moderators is another thing entirely!

But the DMV makes an effort to trip you up. Remember, we thought they were too easy. :lol: Although, it could be in the minds of the DMV, their questions are easy too. Food for thought. :-)

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:43 pm

Liz said:
The original ONBC moderators were me and Tansy, joined by Karen. When Tansy and I started it, I thought we'd be discussing just one story--Secret Window, Secret Garden. But she enlightened me that Johnny was really into books, and I saw that this was going to last a little longer than I had originally thought. Then 4 books later Tansy felt she had to leave due to time constraints and Karen went on to found JDR. And the rest is history..

Wow! Had no idea that Karen started here -- small, small, small world

In terms of the contest, it strikes me that a number of the answers kind of drapped themselves right in front of one, more obviously simple dummy than I imagined. In fact, not so much hard as kind of like those little visual puzzley things: you look and see nothing and then WOW there it is. I could kick myself for guessing Charley and the Chocolate instead of Chocolat -- to be honest I didn't even see the Chocolat title. The ones I got that I had no right getting (Free Falling, A Tale of Two Realities (although I might have changed this at the very last minute to a losing answer!), Lovebird and Babes in Toyland). The ones I missed for dumbness sake ( A Brother's Tale: got stuck on JM Barrie having a brother who had died, like can we find the eetsy bitsy details and ignore the man sitting at the author's table) and (Bad Boys, Bad Boys: the guy that wrote the book or something or another actually had something to do with Bad Boys II -- again buried in details, the footnotes mind you). Anyway. All fair, all findable. Great fun.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:59 pm

fansmom wrote:

You mean you guys can't read our minds? :-) I love reading how you all came to the answers you did. We both thought that many of the "incorrect" answers were understandable, wrong but understandable.
:grin:

firefly wrote:
In terms of the contest, it strikes me that a number of the answers kind of drapped themselves right in front of one, more obviously simple dummy than I imagined. In fact, not so much hard as kind of like those little visual puzzley things: you look and see nothing and then WOW there it is.

firelfly, your take on this reminds me of one of our favorite phrases around here, "Who us? Overanalyze?" :lol:

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “Birthdays and Celebrations”