It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hugo Cabret Question #20 ~ Live Action or Animation?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:00 am 

Did you expect the movie to be animated or live action?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject: Re: Hugo Cabret Question #20 ~ Live Action or Animation?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:32 am 

I know it wouldn't sell, but I'd like to see it as a silent movie!
Last weekend I went to see two amazing silent movies from 1928. I know it helped that there was a live ensemble playing an original score, but their sophistication surprised me.

Ciné-Concert: The Matinee Idol
preceded by Fiddlesticks
Andrew Simpson on piano with the Snark Ensemble

The first of four early Frank Capra films stars Johnnie Walker as a Broadway minstrel, recruited for a Civil War melodrama with a bottom-of-the-barrrel traveling tent show. Rediscovered in the vaults of the Cinémathèque Française, the long-lost The Matinee Idol is one of the director's finest early comedies. (Frank Capra, 1928, 35 mm, 70 minutes)

Capra was co-screenwriter for the madcap Fiddlesticks, featuring famed comic Harry Langdon as he struggles to become a bona fide musician on his beloved bass fiddle.

BTW, the ensemble did name themselves for Lewis Carroll's Snark.

Didn't answer the question, did I? :whistle:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:22 pm 

I would like to see the story done with live action with flashes of the illustrations and silent films shown during the film. I guess like the book adds the illustrations to help tell the story. Hugo being chased by the station master and going through the inside of the clocks would make a thrilling and exciting scene. I am not a movie maker :lol: - so I am sure they will figure which method is best.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:31 pm 

Animation would definitely keep the charm of the book alive for me, I think, more than live action.

. . if you simply try to tell the truth you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed it. --C.S. Lewis

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:46 pm 

ladylinn, I agree that flashes of the illustrations and silent films would be great. Somehow I am envisioning the whole thing in black and white. I'm leaning toward a very realistic animation, maybe close to the pencil drawings. Actually, I think l I'd enjoy it if it was all done in the style of Selznick's illustrations, though I could see it as a silent movie with framed "captions", like the traditional melodramas.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:12 pm 
JDZ Moderator

I guess I just assumed it would be animation, initially, when I did not know what the story was about. But having discovered that it was about film, I think it only fitting that it be live action.

I think black and white is a given? At least I hope so.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:25 am 

I was initially thinking animation as well, probably because of the illustrations. I see it as color, but overall dark with flashes of black and white. I don't think I would want the whole film to be black and white though.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:39 am 

I like the suggestions about silent film and black and white very much. It has to be in black and white, to do anything else would be to ignore totally what the book is about, and this book is so strongly visual in its extensive use of drawings -- they have to go that way. It would be interesting, some kind of mesh of silent and talking. There are parts of the book that almost call for that. I am thinking of those sections which you turn quickly to get a moving sense of the story's progression. The movie needs to go the same route, use film to give audiences not familar with silent movies an updated feel of what it was like. Could be an exciting way to do a film and so much more compelling than 3D which more and more remind me of pop rocks, you know those candies that you put in your mouth and they explode? Surely we can do so much more cinematically than we are doing. Make a movie that gives you an almost textual feeling, a sense of the page moving. It is Scorsese afterall and IN. Right?

I always hope at times like this that someone somewhere is peering at this screen and saying, hey -- maybe the audience WOULD like what I have in mind. One can always hope.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:19 pm 

Liz wrote:
I guess I just assumed it would be animation, initially, when I did not know what the story was about. But having discovered that it was about film, I think it only fitting that it be live action.

I think black and white is a given? At least I hope so.

I agree Lizbaba, this is how I have been imagining the film. While animation would done in Selznick's style would be interesting and on a certain level fitting for the material; I really think that the live action would be a richer style by which to tell this story, perhaps with scenes involving silent film set pieces as ladylinn suggested.

Live in Depp
Boo

"The theater is my drug, and my illness is so far advanced that my physic must be of the highest quality."~~John Wilmot

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:40 pm 

Definitely live action with animation / cg as there's nothing fantastical about how the characters live their daily lives which would warrant the entire film being done in animation. Keep it live action and period. Mr. Scorsese's movies are rich with layers and layers of historical detail so I'm very much looking forward to seeing a period Parisian setting: the train station, toy shop, inside the walls, the inner workings of the clocks but mostly Hugo's room with all the bits and bobs for putting the mechanical man together laying about.

I'm also looking forward like several of you have suggested some type of black and white illustrations / cg interwoven between the live action. I saw two movies this past week which did this kind of thing really well (while they weren't black and white they did go back and forth between fantasy and reality marvelously) = Terry Gilliam's Doctor Parnassus (am late to see it I know!?) and a family film Beezus and Ramona (there were flashes of cg which took the live action actress playing Ramona into her own imagination - it really was quite magical).

However Mr. Scorsese has his Hugo shot - it will be a trillion times better than if "the mouse" got its paws on it!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:47 pm 
JDZ Moderator

lizbet wrote:
I saw two movies this past week which did this kind of thing really well (while they weren't black and white they did go back and forth between fantasy and reality marvelously) = Terry Gilliam's Doctor Parnassus (am late to see it I know!?)

I'm later. :shocked: I haven't seen it yet. But thanks for reminding me that I have to go rent it. :cool:.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ]