Hugo Cabret Question #21 ~ Casting So Far

by Brian Selznick

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Hugo Cabret Question #21 ~ Casting So Far

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:28 am

To the best of my knowledge the list below is what has been announced up to this date. There are still some mysteries to be solved... What do you think of the line up?

Hugo: Asa Butterfield

Isabelle: Chloe Moretz

George Mieles: Ben Kingsley

Mama Jeanne: Helen McCrory

Stationmaster: Sacha Baron Cohen (see illustration on pg. 416)

Etienne:

Rene Tabard: Michael Stuhlbarg

Flower Shop Girl : Emily Mortimer

Hugo's father: Jude Law

Christopher Lee: Monsieur Labisse (possibly a cameo)

Also reported as part of the cast but characters unknown:

Richard Griffiths

Frances de la Tour

Ray Winstone

And as reported on imdb...Ben Addis: Salvador Dali (Really??)

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

fansmom

Re: Hugo Cabret Question #21 ~ Casting So Far

Unread postby fansmom » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:24 pm

Was I not paying attention? Was Dali in the book? :perplexed:

I don't know most of those actors, but I think that Ben Kingsley as George Mieles is brilliant.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:58 pm

Chloe Moretz has Isabelle's nose and mouth. But she needs a new do....the Louise Brooks bob.

Ben Kingsley is perfect.

Jude Law was a huge surprise.

I'm wondering about Sacha.

I don't remember Dali in the book.

And I am not familiar with the rest.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:35 pm

Dali is definitely not in the book and only mentioned on imdb, so take that one with a grain of salt, er drop of rum...

Love the choice of Kingsley! I tired to find a better picture of Chloe where she didn't look so glammed up but wasn't terribly successful. I also like Helen McCrory as Mama Jeanne and I think Asa has a certain wide eyed innocence (at least in that picture) that I like for Hugo. For me the jury is still out on Sacha, but then that is where the jury usually is for me in reagards to him. :lol: I can see him playing a rather scary, stern character which would be perfect. Of course there are several extra actors and roles here so I suspect some changes are afoot...and the fact that no one has been announced for the rold of Etienne is puzzling. I would hate to lose his character but we'll see what the movie holds. Ben Addis (Dali) would fit the part well, maybe that is the missing piece?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:38 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote: Ben Addis (Dali) would fit the part well, maybe that is the missing piece?
Oh, good point, he'd make a nice Etienne.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:59 am

Well, the physical likenesses are only a small part of the casting......for me, I would like to see how these actors portray the characters.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:12 pm

Agreed, nebraska. We all know how actors can transform themselves into a character so that we hardly recognize them... :bigwink:

Wow! What a ride!

Boo-Radley

Unread postby Boo-Radley » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:17 pm

Like many have already said, I like the idea of Ben Kingsley as Papa Georges and that while a surprise I think Jude law would be great for the role of Hugo's father. The other supporting character roles look okay too, I also don't get the Dali thing. Of the actor's whose roles aren't stated yet, I was thinking that either Richard Griffiths or Ray Winstone would be fine to play Hugo's uncle; although on second thought Griffiths might be too old for that role. :perplexed:

Live in Depp
Boo
Last edited by Boo-Radley on Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"With this hand I will cup your.... Oh goodness no!"~~Victor Van Dort

"The theater is my drug, and my illness is so far advanced that my physic must be of the highest quality."~~John Wilmot

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:36 pm

I am not too familiar with many of these actors. Kingsley is perfect for Papa Georges and Chloe will definately have to have her hair "bobbed". She has a very sweet face. Sacha will be a very scarey station master.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:28 pm

Boobaba, I wondered about either of those two actors as well for the uncle since the casting of that role has not been announced. That seems a bit odd since the smaller role of his father has been announced...although given the actor announced for that part is a big one!

Wow! What a ride!

Boo-Radley

Unread postby Boo-Radley » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:36 pm

DITHOTbaba wrote:Boobaba, I wondered about either of those two actors as well for the uncle since the casting of that role has not been announced. That seems a bit odd since the smaller role of his father has been announced...although given the actor announced for that part is a big one!

Hey there DITHOTbaba, :bigwave: yes I have to agree that I was surprised that the actor who would play the role of the uncle hadn't been announced yet. The choice of Jude Law for Hugo's dad is very surprising but I think really good, however because he's so young I have trouble seeing Richard Griffiths as his brother, making Winstone perhaps the better choice for the role.

Good night. :bedtime:

Live in Depp
Boo
"With this hand I will cup your.... Oh goodness no!"~~Victor Van Dort

"The theater is my drug, and my illness is so far advanced that my physic must be of the highest quality."~~John Wilmot

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:31 pm

Agreed, however I am frequently surprised at the transformation an actor can make for a particular role. Would that be anyone in particular? :grin:

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “The Invention of Hugo Cabret”