ATLA - Locating the book

by Simone de Beauvoir

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

ATLA - Locating the book

Unread postby Liz » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:24 pm

We will be discussing A Transatlantic Love Affair by Simone de Beauvior in the fall.

Although that may seem far off, I want to EMPHASIZE that the book may be difficult to locate and that you should consider looking for it now, if you haven’t already done so. It is currently out of print. Also, it is upwards of 500 pages.

Check Amazon and Barnes and Noble for used and new copies. Another good source is Powells Books.

This looks like a good source also:

You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Re: A Transatlantic Love Affair - Locating the book

Unread postby Theresa » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:39 pm

Abebooks is where I got my copy, Liz. It came in this week...a very, very nice hardbound copy that only ended up costing me less than $9, including shipping.

lizbet

Unread postby lizbet » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:02 pm

Mine is being shipped as we speak - or type - its from amazon.ca and the description promised used but as good as new - and as of a week ago there were six other copies still available though they were a bit pricey - alibris.com is another site for difficult to find titles - good luck you book hounds of the zone :hatsoff:
trying to live in "a profound state of ignorance"

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:23 pm

I got mine from Amazon's used book listing for under $7.00. I've been doing used books for at least a year now and I wholeheartedly recommend it. Quality of every book I've ordered has been excellent. Mostly overstocked or the occasional library book. Right now looks like about 26 used copies of the books available starting at $3.99. Look for a vendor whose price is low and condition at least 'good' (although I did do an acceptable once as the price made sense). Shipping adds $3.99 but who's going to quibble when the entire price comes in under $10.00?

And I agree, order as soon as you can. Right now supply and price are good, but that can change. I've actually seen the price on one used and out of print book I was scrambling to help people get suddenly go up in price simply because a very small number of us were picking up copies.

Finally watch out for outrageously high used books pitched as 'collectors' editions' The hardcover copy of this book was printed in 1998 and currently sells from the publisher (The New Press) at $27.50 and the paperback in 1999, currently selling at $23.95 also from The New Press If in doubt, check with the publisher about anything like "first editions" etc.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Buster

Unread postby Buster » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:43 pm

Good advice, fireflydances. I, too, have had very positive experiences buying used books online. I'm also extremely fortunate that there is an excellent used book store in my county.
I must admit to having slight qualms about buying books used, because the author receives no royalties the second time around. I usually salve my conscience by patronising local book stores as much as possible, and buying books new if the author is still living.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:02 am

Buster wrote:Good advice, fireflydances. I, too, have had very positive experiences buying used books online. I'm also extremely fortunate that there is an excellent used book store in my county.
I must admit to having slight qualms about buying books used, because the author receives no royalties the second time around. I usually salve my conscience by patronising local book stores as much as possible, and buying books new if the author is still living.

Yes, thanks, Firefly, for the advice. We have been known to have a major effect on Amazon's stats.

Buster, I know what you mean about royalties. But, as you say, the author is not living. And what is one to do when the book is no longer being published?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

California Kat

Unread postby California Kat » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:14 am

Liz, thanks for the heads up on this. :smiliewithhearts: I just ordered a new copy from Amazon. I got it for $7.99 which includes shipping - a great price.
I'm looking forward to reading this book, and to Johhny and Vanessa doing the movie version
together :yahoo:

San

Unread postby San » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:31 am

I just ordered mine 2nd hand at Bol.com in the Netherlands and in Dutch
I'm too lazy to read it in English so I not think this is much help for all you English readers
It cost me 6.20 in Euro's inclusive shipping
Art has to be forgotten: Beauty must be realised ~ ~ Piet Mondriaan (1872 -1944)

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:22 pm

I ordered my copy from and new and used dealer at Amazon.com, less than $7 total with shipping. I opted for a paperback version even though I usually prefer hard copies. With the size of this book, I think paperback might be easier to manage.

I almost always purchase my ONBC books this way. I had never considered the royalty issue. As long as the author has received royalties from the initial sale I don't see a problem with buying a used book. It is not as though a book should be thrown away (adding to landfill problems) after the first owner reads it.

I think it has been noted before that Amazon.com seems to know what ONBC readers want to purchase, as the "suggestions" follow a theme related to our books and Johnny.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:11 pm

Thanks for all the info ladies. I am also guilty of getting in early at amazon and buying it used which probably starts the price to rise. I have bought several books this way and never had any sort of problem or complaint. You just cant fault amazon for being so handy to buy from your home without any hassle.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Boo-Radley

Unread postby Boo-Radley » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:44 pm

I purchased my book last week from amazon, and with shipping it cost me $6.63. :biggrin: For those still in search the are more than 30 copies new/used copies still available starting at $3.99; so as fireflydances cautioned hurry before the price heats up. And I will lend my voice to the others who have had very good luck with buying used books online.

Live in Depp
Boo
"With this hand I will cup your.... Oh goodness no!"~~Victor Van Dort

"The theater is my drug, and my illness is so far advanced that my physic must be of the highest quality."~~John Wilmot

Buster

Unread postby Buster » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:46 pm

While I agree that Amazon does an amazing job, I still lament the effect that it has on independent book sellers. One of my favorite local book stores closed recently, saying that people no longer ordered books through them, even though their prices were comparable to Amazon.
For me, one of my favorite parts of the whole reading experience is browsing - handling, smelling, dipping into whatever catches my eye. That, indeed, is a big part of the thrill - the serendipitous find, a book you didn't know existed, on a topic you'd never think of, by someone you've never heard of - and that is missing when ordering on line.
"Not all treasure is gold, mate."

Boo-Radley

Unread postby Boo-Radley » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:11 pm

Buster wrote:While I agree that Amazon does an amazing job, I still lament the effect that it has on independent book sellers. One of my favorite local book stores closed recently, saying that people no longer ordered books through them, even though their prices were comparable to Amazon.
For me, one of my favorite parts of the whole reading experience is browsing - handling, smelling, dipping into whatever catches my eye. That, indeed, is a big part of the thrill - the serendipitous find, a book you didn't know existed, on a topic you'd never think of, by someone you've never heard of - and that is missing when ordering on line.
"Not all treasure is gold, mate."

I agree with you Buster about the thrill of shopping in bookstores. When I was younger I loved doing just that browsing was exciting even when I didn't have money to buy anything. :cloud9: So my endorsement of online book buying is not intended to slight bookstores, it's just that I find I don't have as much time and frankly at times energy to go hunting so being able to buy online is a Godsend for me.

Live in Depp
Boo
"With this hand I will cup your.... Oh goodness no!"~~Victor Van Dort

"The theater is my drug, and my illness is so far advanced that my physic must be of the highest quality."~~John Wilmot

IngridN

Unread postby IngridN » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:18 pm

I was ready to order the book from Amazon, but a friend of mine will lend me the french translation: Lettres a Nelson Algren. :interesting:
I wonder if this will work with the discussion :lol: :france: :uk:
"We are always the same age inside." Gertrude Stein

jdfan

Unread postby jdfan » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:20 pm

Half (com) has some copies and the shipping is $3.49 I believe.
I'm cooler online-Brad Paisley

Return to “A Transatlantic Love Affair”