It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: The Rum Diary Question #10 ~ Growing Older
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:14 am 

pg 204 (Chapter 21) Kemp and Sala are having a conversation,

"Hell," I replied. "Imagine how old I feel--I'm almost thirty-two."

He shook his head, "I never thought I'd live to see thirty. I don't know why, but for some reason I just didn't."

I smiled. "I don't know if I did or not--I never gave it much thought."

"Well," he said, "I hope to God I never make forty--I wouldn't know what to do with myself."

"You might," I said. "We're over the hump, Robert. The ride gets pretty ugly from here on in."

Do you agree with their assessment of aging? Was there an age you dreaded or still do as you approach it?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject: Re: The Rum Diary Question #10 ~ Growing Older
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:55 pm 

No I do not agree with Kemp and Sala's assesment of life. I personally enjoyed each age and made the most of it. Perhaps this is easier for women than men. Women of my generation were the home caretakers and responsible for the raising of children (not meaning that the hubbies don't help). The men are the strong and work many hours to make this possible. As men get older and cannot do as much as they could in their youth - it can be difficult for them. I have aged much easier than my DH. He laughs and says "if I knew I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself". :harhar:

I cannot imagine feeling over the hill at the age of 30!! I felt sad for Kemp and Sala for feeling like this when I read this conversation. This sounds like Hunter's assesment of life. Too bad - he had so much to offer.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:35 pm 

That's a question you will ask yourself more and more as you pass each decade. I used to think 40 was a big hurdle, then 50, but when I hit 60 I decided I was wrong about the other two, they were young. My parents (88 and 92) think the 60 year olds living in their park are youngsters.

Kemps opinion that its downhill from 30, like ladylynn said is unthinkable to me.

I do feel that Kemps opinion of life past 30 was Hunters point of view from his ripe old age of 22 when he wrote TRD, and what does a 22 year old know?
:harhar:

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:47 pm 

This passage reminded me of the old saying, "never trust anyone over 30". Yeah, right! :rotflmao: I did try to take myself back to the day and I have to admit that it seemed kind of logical in a back in the day sort of way.

ladylinn and gemini, being slighty over 30 myself now :whistle: I have a totally different perspective on where my life has been and where it's going. I used to worry about he milestones , as you said gemini, but what's the difference between 32, 43 or 54? They are just years and while folks over 30 may not have all the idealism of youth we make up for it in life experience. I also believe I have more appreciation of time and look forward to what is yet to come.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:50 pm 
JDZ Moderator

I read that passage and laughed. It reminds me of how, as a kid, I thought a 30 year old was ancient.

It's all a matter of perspective. Anyone who is 32 is just a baby from where I'm sitting.
;-)

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:46 pm 

The year I turned 28 I thought life was over! :biglaugh: Took to my bed for a month not knowing how I could possibly go on. But of course I did. And now I am in my 60s. I think more about getting older than I used to, about how every day is one day closer to the end, and how I have to start making choices about what I really want to do because I may run out of time before I can do everything. That is true from the day you are born, of course, but the older I get the more aware I am of it. I don't know that I dread a specific age so much as I dread the aging process itself.

I think there is some wisdom in that quote. Life does change as you age, and your options become fewer. "Over the hump" as he put it. A lot more can be forgiven in a foolish teenager than in an irresponsible 40-year-old. But the 40-year-old who has not cultivated opportunity has missed his chance.

I think I am really tired tonight. :-/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:08 pm 

Exactly, noodlemantras :cool: , and I couldn't agree more with the last two sentences in ladylinn's comment.

That vision of growing older can only take place at a younger age, such as 22. Also, I think it depends on some other factors of life. Several years ago, when I was 32, I decided to take an adventure in another country. I had so many wonderful expectations that I felt just as energetic as I was 22. I did have a nice experience in the past few years, and I never regretted my decision. However, just recently, the feeling of a mid-life crisis hit me. I don't know what I am going to do with myself if I cannot bring my career back to track before 40. Man, 40 is a fearsome number. But who knows how I will actually feel when I'm 40, probably not bad at all.

It wants to show you more ~ John Denver

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:43 am 
JDZ Moderator

I don’t think it really has anything to do with your age but how you view yourself at any point in time. I was much more confident at 45-50 than I was at 32 or now at almost 55. I think it is all about one’s state of mind.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:13 am 

I also think it has to do with society's obsession with youth. We are brought up to fear growing older and therefore less important.

Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:08 pm 

When I was in my teens, my friends all said that if I kept going at life the way I was, I'd never make it to twenty. Ha! The older I get, the more interesting and exciting things become.

In many ways I am far more adventurous and curious than I was when I was younger. I wonder if some of the concerns about ageing have to do with the fear of being trapped in the "grown-up world", rife with its perceived obligations and responsibilities. Personally, as a bit of a "Peter Pan", I believe that the more you learn, the more potential there is for adventure. (And, fortunately, most human bodies don't automatically experience total system failure at age 30 ;-) )

On another note, Hunter obviously felt that when his body was failing him, it was time to go. Too bad - we certainly could use his insights into what is happening in the world today...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:09 pm 

George Carlin’s Views on Aging

Do you realize that the only time in our lives when we like to get old is when we’re kids? If you’re less than 10 years old, you’re so excited about aging that you think in fractions.

How old are you? I’m four and a half! You’re never thirty-six and a half. You’re four and a half, going on five! That’s the key!

You get into your teens, now they can’t hold you back. You jump to the next number, or even a few ahead.

How old are you? I’m gonna be 16! You could be 13, but hey, you’re gonna be 16! And then the greatest day of your life … . You become 21. Even the words sound like a ceremony YOU BECOME 21. YESSSS!!!

But then you turn 30. Oooohh, what happened there? Makes you sound like bad milk! He TURNED; we had to throw him out. There’s no fun now, you’re Just a sour-dumpling. What’s wrong? What’s changed?

You BECOME 21, you TURN 30, then you’re PUSHING 40. Whoa! Put on the brakes, it’s all slipping away. Before you know it, you REACH 50 and your dreams are gone.

But wait!!! You MAKE it to 60. You didn’t think you would!

So you BECOME 21, TURN 30, PUSH 40, REACH 50 and MAKE it to 60.

You’ve built up so much speed that you HIT 70! After that it’s a day-by-day thing; you HIT Wednesday!

You get into your 80′s and every day is a complete cycle; you HIT lunch; you TURN 4:30; you REACH bedtime. And it doesn’t end there. Into the 90s, you start going backwards; I Was JUST 92.

Then a strange thing happens. If you make it over 100, you become a little kid again. I’m 100 and a half!

May you all make it to a healthy 100 and a half!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:21 pm 
JDZ Moderator

That was great! I loved George. Thanks for sharing that deppaura. :biglaugh:

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]