All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next
 Post subject: ***ONBC Revised Calendar***
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:53 pm 
JDZ Moderator

We’re late, we’re late, for a very important date. :hatterspin:

But you won’t be

because, Noodlemantras, we are giving you more time to follow Alice down the rabbit hole and through the looking glass. I’d like to say it is because our watches are “exactly 2 days slow”. But the reality is that DITHOT is still suffering from limited ability on her computer plus a high dose of work overload on both of our ends. :-/

Here is our revised plan for Winter at ONBC:

We will post some Alice tidbits prior to the holidays for one week beginning December 14. Then we will break for the holidays and resume Alice tidbits on January 4. The discussion should begin in late January (date TBA).

Look for The Rum Diary to follow Alice.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject: Re: ***ONBC Revised Calendar***
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:07 pm 

Thanks for the update! I have the luxury of being retired and having a little extra time to devote to reading (until my Access/database class begins next week), so I have finished the Annotated Alice. It is a most remarkable book and fabulous reference material. Lewis Carroll was a genius in his day!

Thanks for all you do for us! This is still the best place on the internet, in my opinion! :bounce:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:24 pm 

Hi, Noodlemantras! :bigwave: I am still suffering through cyber :censored: with limited computer access on a 10 year old computer that makes the Pony Express look like the shuttle. :banghead: Thanks for your understanding and patience!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:46 pm 

nebraska wrote:
Thanks for the update! I have the luxury of being retired and having a little extra time to devote to reading (until my Access/database class begins next week), so I have finished the Annotated Alice. It is a most remarkable book and fabulous reference material. Lewis Carroll was a genius in his day!

Thanks for all you do for us! This is still the best place on the internet, in my opinion! :bounce:

I just picked up the Annotated Alice from the library (waiting for my copy to come from ebay...) and I was lucky to get it away from the librarian!! :lol: When she took it from the "hold" shelf for me, she glanced at it, then did a double take... brought it to the desk, opened it up and started reading bits and pieces, saying.. "oh, look, it says..." over and over. Another patron behind me said "I'm afraid you may have to go over the desk and take it away from her!" :lol: :lol: :lol: But, I did bring it home with me. :applause2: I've read all the intros and am just ready to sit with a cup of tea and start Chapter 1... :hatter:

DITHOT, thinking good thoughts and hoping you work out your computer problems.... soon!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:23 pm 

Thanks, bluebird! I'm about 95% back to normal and it appears I didn't lose any saved material. :bounce: Enjoy the annotated version, there are definitely some very intersting bits in there! For those of you who don't have access to that version of the book we will be posting some of the interesting bits to share. :cool:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:15 pm 

At a face-to-face book discussion on Monday evening, somone mentioned the Annotated Alice and apparently I gave her an odd look. She started to explain--"It's Alice in Wonderland with--" so I said that yes, I'm familiar with it and I have a copy at home and my online book club will discuss it . . . :hypnotic:

Hurrah for your computer, DITHOT!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:10 am 

Actually, this is good, since I've ordered Through the Looking Glass & it should be arriving anytime now. :grin:

And, fansmom, I'm understanding more & more about Liz' references to the Twilight Zone! Creepy!

. . if you simply try to tell the truth you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed it. --C.S. Lewis

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:12 pm 

I was talking to a friend Saturday and mentioned a bit about what I had read and she began telling me some of the underlying meaning in the Wizard of Oz. I see there is an Annotated book for that story, too, and I may just have to indulge myself and order it.

Fansmom, that is just plain weird!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:41 pm 

nebraska wrote:
some of the underlying meaning in the Wizard of Oz.
Was it the ideas of Oz as a populist allegory, nebraska? If so, google it and read a little. Here's a place to start: You know how sometimes we overthink things? We're not alone in that.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:23 am 

fansmom wrote:
nebraska wrote:
Was it the ideas of Oz as a populist allegory, nebraska? If so, google it and read a little. Here's a place to start: You know how sometimes we overthink things? We're not alone in that.

Thanks for the information. One of the things I found interesting in the Annotated Alice was the explanation of every day terms, the songs some of the parodies were based on, and the connection to Alice's real life family and events. I hope the Annotated Oz would have similar information since it was written a long time ago.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:03 pm 
JDZ Moderator

magpie wrote:
Actually, this is good, since I've ordered Through the Looking Glass & it should be arriving anytime now. :grin:

And, fansmom, I'm understanding more & more about Liz' references to the Twilight Zone! Creepy!

Yeah, magpie, fansmom lives in the Twilight Zone. I'm just a visitor compared to her. :biggrin:

So fansmom, I'm just curious....Does your face-to-face book club know the premise behind your on-line book club? And if so, have any of them been over here to check it out?

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:12 pm 
JDZ Moderator

nebraska wrote:
fansmom wrote:
nebraska wrote:

Thanks for the information. One of the things I found interesting in the Annotated Alice was the explanation of every day terms, the songs some of the parodies were based on, and the connection to Alice's real life family and events. I hope the Annotated Oz would have similar information since it was written a long time ago.

Well, that was an interesting opinion. But even if Mr. Magliocca doesn't believe in the hidden meanings behind Oz, I deem Gardner's annotations about Alice to be credible.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:44 pm 

Twilight Zone--who, me? :whistle:
Yes, I have outed myself to that particular book club, but no, I don't think any of them have checked out the ONBC.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:08 am 
JDZ Moderator

And what was their response?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:40 pm 

Liz wrote:
And what was their response?
They were amused, but then impressed when I listed the authors you and DITHOT have contacted. :applause:

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next