It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Johnny Question #3 ~ Collaborations
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:39 pm 
JDZ Moderator

ladylinn wrote:
It is fascinating that the Depp/Burton team can take a story that has been told several times and make it all new again!!

Excellent way of putting it, ladylinn. :cool:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:21 pm 

Reading everyones comments here reminds me how much that Tim lets Johnny really get into his characters. For just entertainment my favorite is Sleepy Hollow because I love Ichabod and all his idiosyncrasies. Then I think of CATCF and Willy and the same applies to a different personality. I do agree with all that those of you who talked about Sweeney and the acting and singing that so expanded Johnnys range of talents. I like it for Johnnys acting and did prefer it to the other Sweeney versions I've seen but it was a bit dark for me. Not so much the blood but the hopelessness of the story. I am a sucker for happy endings. I am looking forward to Alice because I am hoping for some Mad Hatter personality quirks.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:45 pm 

Edward, first of all. Maybe because it was the "first". There's a particular sensitivity and naiveness. Actor and Director were new to one another, working together, learning about each other. And, then, Sweeney...how thrilling to hear Johnny sing Sondheim's music! How thrilling to see the "musician" work with music! How fun to see him try to waltz...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:21 am 

They were all wonderful movies, and it's hard to pick just one. I agree with everything that was said about Sweeny Todd -- I've been watching it for three days while preparing Thanksgiving dinner, and it's extraordinary. The sets, the costumes, the palette, the music all create a perfect experience. The movie moves so seamlessly that you are swept along, and despite knowing every single word of the script, the tension still builds.
CATCF was so bizarre visually and conceptualy I just love it. The humor Tim and Johnny injected is off the wall, and it makes me think that's how they joke with one another in real life.
All that being said, Ed Wood is my pick for this question. The movie is an homage to filmmaking, bizarre people, outsiders, sincerity, Hollywood, horror movies, and passion -- all their interests roillled into one. Johnny is so totally in character -- he just becomes Ed Wood. It's not as big a movie as the others, but it's a gem, and there is nothing I'd change about it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:35 pm 

I am not good at choosing anything, so I read all of the previous comments and thought, "Yes, Sweeney's my favorite, but then there's Edward Scissorh--oh, and Ed Wood! . . ."

Perhaps Sweeney, just for the chance to hear Johnny sing. Many of the things on my iPod come and go (books, mostly) but "My Friends" is permanent.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:53 pm 

fansmom, I have the same problem. I read everyone's comments and think that one is my favorite, then I read the next comment and think that one is my favorite! I keep coming back to Edward Scissorhands as my #1 pick. It is just such a perfectly told story/allegory and the visuals are simply amazing. The chances they took with Sweeney Todd and the way the movie turned out with the music and the cinematography just blew me away. :notworthy: I cannot wait to see Alice and eventurally Dark Shadows!!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2